U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:08 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,222,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
'Jin' was actually born and raised in Hawaii. He has a bit more muscle to him than most Koreans. But most Koreans still have that attitude, presense, way of dealing with people though.

His facial structure, the bones, jawline, etc. is very CLASSIC Korean.

Personally, I've always really got on really well with Koreans I've known outside of Korea. Inside Korea, they can be a bit 'too Korean', which doesn't make much sense until a person actually spends a lot of time there.

But, yeah, he's a cool looking guy.
According to his official website, the actor that played "Jin" on "Lost" (Daniel Dae Kim) was born in Busan and raised in New York and Pennsylvania.
About | DanielDaeKim.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 10:38 AM

62 posts, read 134,999 times
They've always been cool. Anyone who's that good at Starcraft is cool.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:50 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,219,013 times
i don't know if i'd use the word cool

but south koreans are known for making some pretty sophisticated products, i think that has a positive impact on how they are viewed

Old 10-17-2012, 05:06 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,272,883 times
I think Korean culture has definitely become "cool". For a country that was poor of the poorest only 50years ago and has the land size of the state of Indiana, its share in pop culture is significant. I teach a few classes over at sfstate and I hear students talking about kpop groups and Korean films/shows routinely and these are not just Asian students.

A peer of mine teaches East Asian history here and mentioned a few things

Korean teenagers are winning international bboy "break dancing" competitions left and right against Usa France England Japan etc
Most recent Hollywood films that have Asian characters are mostly Korean..
Korean films and actors are winning numerous awards at Cannes and Berlin film fest
First American prime Tv show about Asians were about a Korean family
Kim Yuna Winning Olympic gold
One of the very few nations to host all of the biggest international events world cup Olympics expo
Koreans are a consistent top 10 performers in numerous international lists; finance, Olympics, innovation, Airports, etc
There are numerous other examples he mentioned
billboards has a seperate page/ranking for just kpop. Along w Japan those are the only two Asian nations represented

When compared to the abundance of nations that are bigger and have been an advanced nation for much longer the answer is yes that Korea is cool. For example Korea is 1/5 the landsize and half the population of Japan.. Koreans packs a mean young punch.

Last edited by Ebck120; 10-17-2012 at 06:00 PM..

Old 10-20-2012, 04:08 AM

376 posts, read 555,693 times
[quote=EastMeetsWest7;26545495]You're right about Samsung; I do love my Android.. However, they have matched the Japanese with Hyundai?? Excuse me, have you ever driven a Hyundai and then right after driven a Toyota? There is hardly a comparison. I will take my Toyota anyday over a Hyundai, unless a bumpy, rough ride with almost completely inferior parts through and through seems what you call "equivalent". I would put my Toyota up against any luxury car as far as smooth ride, handling and reliability. The Japanese, win here, IMO.

Yeah I think the ride/suspension of Toyotas are superior to Hyundai and I don't think Hyundai have proven themselves yet as reliable but they have good engines & transmissions and the quality gap keeps on shrinking. I worked at Samsung engineering and they're determined to be #1 but I think they'll struggle to match new technology but they can copy it pretty quickly.

BTW, for a truly great suspension, drive a BMW 750 (which I drive) and then drive a Toyota, believe me the 750 wins

Old 10-20-2012, 05:10 PM

424 posts, read 534,512 times
That question requires more than just looking at the US. Can your average American name anything South Korean except for "Gangnam Style" (which they still mispronounce)? LG, Samsung, and Hyundai maybe . . . but their popularity among some isn't really because they're Korean, it's because local versions haven't done as well. Apple competes in the cell phone market, about a decade after they became ubiquitous in Asia, and Hyundai as well as other Asian companies have done well because of the failings of the American auto industry. But for all their successes, there's still xenophobia and closed-mindedness to counter it, still people who won't have anything to do with buying something foreign or liking something outside the box.

But Korea is cool, at least throughout other parts of Asia. Over the past two decades South Korea has been the second-wealthiest country in the region, and a big part of the popularity, I think, is that it was like J-pop and J-dramas but without the ambiguous feelings toward history. Taiwanese college students can like Korean groups and Korean shows without feeling guilty, for example, about liking their old colonial masters. And they can like something crafted to be an alternative to Hollywood, which comes out of a country that's forced itself into so much of Asia.

Tastes always change, though, and though Korean pop culture is popular in Japan, there is vocal opposition to what it's doing locally. Still, it's bad to dismiss something simply because it's not American; the US is a big presence, but doesn't really define "cool", and isn't the only game in town.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:46 PM

8,398 posts, read 9,891,547 times
Well, my 1/2 Korean daughter who lives in the U.S. use to love Japan. The other day she asked me if we could move to Korea and stay with relatives. So yes, with the youth it seems to be the new thing. Kpop, Kdrama, Celebs, Clothes, etc...
I use to get my Korean drama fix against my families wishes, lol, drive them crazy!! Now they sit and watch them with me.

I just can't wait until America sell refrigerators with a door in the door option. Right now it's a custom order and lots of $$$$.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:14 PM
JL

7,352 posts, read 11,885,191 times
Though Kpop songs aren't really that great, but i'm sold on the catchy phrases in the tunes and dance moves!!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:56 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Though Kpop songs aren't really that great, but i'm sold on the catchy phrases in the tunes and dance moves!!
I can't stand K-Pop.

But, I like the Jazz-Pop Korean Band, 'Winterplay'!

WINTERPLAY (

Old 10-22-2012, 09:57 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Or this one by Winterplay.

Winterplay - Quando Quando Quando EBS Space 090120 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or