U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2012, 11:09 PM

329 posts, read 795,411 times

Advertisements

I am just waiting for the day when "aigoo" will be a common expression in America. :P
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 11:01 AM

9,790 posts, read 13,391,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Korean Tacos Next time im in Seoul ive gotta see if i can find such a thing.

They look delicious.
Yeah, I don't know if they've caught on in Korea itself yet, but they're a really popular thing here in the US. They started here in LA, due in part to the fact that LA's Koreatown has a Mexican area (an ethnic enclave within an ethnic enclave, if you will) and has predominantly Mexican areas around it... lots of Mexicans work in Korean grocery stores, restaurants, and shops; their kids go to school together; it was only a matter of time

I'm a strict vegetarian so I've never had the opportunity to try one from a food truck, but since I grew up with Korean cooking and am an avid cook myself, I made my own using soy strips simmered with green onions, garlic, and sliced red peppers in soy sauce, marinaded in bibimbab sauce, brown rice with red beans, and then I made a kimchi salsa using napa and radish kimchi with jalapenos and habaneros, served in kimchi pancakes instead of tortillas *drool*. The owner of the company I work for is half Korean; she and her FOB mommy loved them, as did everyone else

Old 10-27-2012, 11:12 AM

1,109 posts, read 2,349,890 times
TIL Koreans make tacos. Hmmmm.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:14 AM

8,398 posts, read 9,912,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
This Korean K-Pop video is the most watched video in the whole history of YouTube. More than any other that's ever been on YouTube. The name refers to the rich Gangnam district of Seoul, where the average apartment rent is US$10,000.

Gangnam Style - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Now that the "Ellen" loves it I'd say it will be an American craze soon. When Britney learns Gangnam then it's pretty much mainstream. lol

Surprise! Britney Learns 'Gangnam Style' from Psy! - YouTube

Britney looks a bit past her prime. I don't know if she can hang with the Psy

Old 10-28-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Now that the "Ellen" loves it I'd say it will be an American craze soon. When Britney learns Gangnam then it's pretty much mainstream. lol

Surprise! Britney Learns 'Gangnam Style' from Psy! - YouTube

Britney looks a bit past her prime. I don't know if she can hang with the Psy
Soon? It already is an American craze! It got to #2 in the Billboard charts IIRC.

Hell, this (dumb) article appeared on CNN a couple weeks ago: Apparently This Matters: R.I.P., 'Gangnam Style' - CNN.com

Old 10-28-2012, 05:00 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,349,890 times
If I listen to the song w/o watching the video, I'm going to go on a rage.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:35 AM

15,956 posts, read 36,247,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Korean Tacos Next time im in Seoul ive gotta see if i can find such a thing.

They look delicious.
I never saw those. Itaewon and HongDae have a few Mexican taco places though.

Actually I'd be scared of 'Korean Tacos' if they had them. ANything that has any kind of tomato sauce in Korea, seems to be kimchi-ified and really off in taste.

I absolutely hated spaghetti in Korea, because of the spaghetti sauce. The same goes for any pizza made in Korea, except the foreign dominos chain.

I found that it's best to stick with only Korean food in Korea, and anything 'western' like spaghetti or sandwhiches or bread, was best to be avoided. (Excessive sugar in all breads, sandwhiches were just weak, and tomato sauce bases were weird).

Old 10-29-2012, 12:58 PM

424 posts, read 535,410 times
Yeah, "Korean tacos" are a Korean-American thing. Mexican food really hasn't even taken off in Korea, and as Tiger Beer points out, with few exceptions Western food imported into Korea is done poorly. Reminds me of a blog post on the topic:

Quote:
I saw this article in the Korea Times and just cursed to myself. The title is "Korean tacos take America by storm". Shouldn't Korean tacos take Korea by storm first? Then this super taco storm can go and conquer foreign markets. Why is there an article about a popular "Korean" food that does not exist anywhere in Korea...
. . .
Quote:
I don't care if you just add some kimchi to it. If people in Korea do not eat it (or cannot find it), then it is not Korean food.
T.W.E: "Korean Tacos" My Ass!

Old 10-29-2012, 03:56 PM

3,525 posts, read 5,476,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I never saw those. Itaewon and HongDae have a few Mexican taco places though.

Actually I'd be scared of 'Korean Tacos' if they had them. ANything that has any kind of tomato sauce in Korea, seems to be kimchi-ified and really off in taste.

I absolutely hated spaghetti in Korea, because of the spaghetti sauce. The same goes for any pizza made in Korea, except the foreign dominos chain.

I found that it's best to stick with only Korean food in Korea, and anything 'western' like spaghetti or sandwhiches or bread, was best to be avoided. (Excessive sugar in all breads, sandwhiches were just weak, and tomato sauce bases were weird).
So True, I dont care for the Coffee in Korea very much either, that could be more of a personal thing however, I like my coffee Strong.

Interestingly they had a noticably large number of Kebab places on the Yeosu Expo site, maybe they might take off in a bigger way around the country?

I have actually never beng into Itaewon, it seems to me the locals are pretty reluctant to take me there.

Ganagnam Style has being the number one song in Australia for about 1 month now, weather its a one off fluke or brings Kpop into the broader mainstream culture who knows.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-29-2012 at 04:33 PM..

Old 10-29-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolitaryThrush View Post
Yeah, "Korean tacos" are a Korean-American thing. Mexican food really hasn't even taken off in Korea, and as Tiger Beer points out, with few exceptions Western food imported into Korea is done poorly. Reminds me of a blog post on the topic:

. . .

T.W.E: "Korean Tacos" My Ass!
Honestly, that blogger sounds like a snivelly crybaby...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or