U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 06:46 PM

5,595 posts, read 9,443,716 times

Advertisements

From what I've experienced, failure is looked upon more pessimistically in my own culture (Chinese) than in Western culture where it's sometimes looked upon as a legitimate learning experience.

Is there any deeper cultural origins to this fear of failure (if any)? I'm a big fan of Tomas Watson's quote: "Want great success? Double your rate of failure!" but it doesn't seem like this sort of ideal would fly well in Chinese culture...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 10:50 PM

8,382 posts, read 8,537,129 times
I haven't seen that at all, the opposite really. I'm not an expert though.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:56 AM

24,691 posts, read 37,433,016 times
I'd say the same could be said for American culture. They're so obsessed with winning and losing and being a 'winner' and a 'loser.'

Old 10-29-2012, 05:50 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,221,389 times
Trimac, from your cultural standpoint, I could see how Americans might seem "obsessed" with winning and losing, but, other than that, is there any other reason or basis for your recurring tendency to declare sweeping generalizations and other absolutes about what Americans are and are not? I'm genuinely curious...

Old 11-21-2012, 01:25 PM

16 posts, read 17,107 times
I would say anyone who has achieved something significiantly difficult would have experienced many occasions of failure, but learnt to learn from mistakes.

To become over obsessed with winning/losing is often an undesirable side effect of striving to achieve.

A truly all round achiever is someone who achieve professional & relationship successes. It isn't an easy game in our complex world of today.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:30 PM

681 posts, read 1,174,428 times
The fear of failure is definitely an Asian thing.... from India all the way to East Asia...In a way its good, in a way its bad. there has to be a balance.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:16 PM

16 posts, read 17,107 times
In every society, there are people who fear failure and don't try, and there are people who try again and again after each failure.

Nop, it isn't an asian thing to fear failure.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:33 PM

147 posts, read 240,446 times
My opinion (also as a Chinese) is that we are more risk-averse than Western (American society). It's difficult to generalize either side, but the Chinese mindset is that any kind of failure is frowned upon, and so it is often swept under the rug, so to speak, whereas with the Western mindset, failure is more of an open possibility and something to overcome. I think it has to do largely with the Chinese emphasis on the "face" value of things, where one must look appealing and successful on the outside, no matter how much of a mess you are behind the scenes. As a consequence of this, no right-minded Chinese would ever consider failure as an ordinary part of life, since a failure would cause one to significantly "lose face." And the ultimate consequence to this, as I'm finding, is that we are less encouraged (sometimes even advised against) taking risks that have a good possibility of failure (and of course, with that, great reward).

Old 12-01-2012, 01:55 PM
kyh

384 posts, read 891,739 times
Definitely a part of the culture. The term "kiasu" (afraid to lose) is so representational of the Singaporean people (who are themselves mostly Chinese, and the term itself derived from the Hokkien/Fujian pronunciation of 怕输) that whenever one speaks of 'kiasu', one instantly thinks of the Singaporeans (and less so, the Malaysian Chinese).

Old 12-05-2012, 09:00 AM

4,447 posts, read 4,295,412 times
Nations that are not prosperous, and going through political upheavel like China pretty has been for the most part of 21st century will tend to make people scared, paranoid, and weary of others, and pessimistic. Simply because those times are perilous. Along with that comes a sense that you cannot make a mistake because someone is going to capitalize on it. So a natural fear of failure will develop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia