U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2012, 11:25 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Reputation: 9478

Advertisements

Salaries are a bit low it seems. Looking at a job there, but pays approximately US$30,000.

While that income would go far in China, probably. It wouldn't go very far in Hong Kong or Japan.

But, people living and working in that area, or familiar with Macau. Is that a wage that someone could live on in that city?

Also, has anyone lived in Macau, or known others who have. Does it have most everything you need, or for living, do many residents in Macau, end up visiting Hong Kong or mainland China quite often?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-03-2012, 01:01 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Reputation: 11862
I haven't lived there, but Macau is a major metropolis with about half a million (going by memory). It's a more relaxed version of Hong Kong, and I find it has more historical buildings. If COL is significantly cheaper than HK (I can't say for sure it is) than it'd be a great option, only being a ferry ride away from HK and not far from the economic powerhouse that is the Pearl River delta. I liked the unique Macanese culture you don't find in HK, HK never produced a similar Anglo-Chinese cuisine, and the Eurasian community tended to be absorbed by the Chinese community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2012, 05:40 AM
 
1,869 posts, read 3,128,396 times
Reputation: 2454
I just visited Macau for the first time and didn't like it very much. I just didn't see anything special at all. Maybe I missed something. Very touristy, and just not that interesting at all. Liked HK a lot better, but was not even a huge fan of HK. Too many cookie cutter sterile high rises makes it feel like Gotham City and hard to see the sky. The air really stunk when I was there in HK too, pungent odor everywhere in the city made me feel nautious...not sure if that was pollution blowing over from Shenzen or what. But still many things to like about HK though. Didn't get to visit some of the outer islands which I wanted to. Liked Bangkok much more than Macau or HK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2012, 06:07 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I just visited Macau for the first time and didn't like it very much. I just didn't see anything special at all. Maybe I missed something. Very touristy, and just not that interesting at all. Liked HK a lot better, but was not even a huge fan of HK. Too many cookie cutter sterile high rises makes it feel like Gotham City and hard to see the sky. The air really stunk when I was there in HK too, pungent odor everywhere in the city made me feel nautious...not sure if that was pollution blowing over from Shenzen or what. But still many things to like about HK though. Didn't get to visit some of the outer islands which I wanted to. Liked Bangkok much more than Macau or HK.
You didn't care for the UNESCO World heritage old town? I found it very quaint. I preferred Macau's pace of life and the people seemed more down to earth. The egg tarts and milk pudding are to die for as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2012, 09:01 AM
 
Location: The North
5,081 posts, read 9,089,677 times
Reputation: 4045
I know a lot of people in the gaming industry who went there. I even considered a gaming-related position in HK some time ago, but decided the money was too tight for what figured to be an extremely tiring job.

Macau has a severe expat/local market for everything, housing especially. To convince the government the expats aren't stealing locals jobs, expats usually have to be paid at least double in wages for a comparable level job for a local resident. Add on to that probably 80% of the expats now get their housing paid for by their employers and from a distance it looks all messed up. What 5 years ago was a $1200 a month apartment for expats is now going for $4500. Used to be anyone could show up and make it, visa rules were very relaxed and the cost of living wasn't bad and was much cheaper than HK. It attracted some non-gaming folks, such as the many expats who run stores and restaurants which are popular with the expat crowd. Now you pretty much have to go with an employment package in hand to make it work.

Macau born residents get a ton of preference in jobs and public housing. The dealers as you mentioned make about $30-40k US per year, but they pay $600-900 for rent and mostly eat food purchased from cheaper restaurants and roadside vendors, and when they cook at home they are buying cheap fresh food brought in from China. Macanese dealers and other casino employees have it very well, lower earning Macanese make about half as much and still because of the cheap cost of living available to them can make it. What they can't indulge in is the high end shopping and entertainment the casinos have created, but they have plenty to make frequent shopping trips over to HK and cross into China to get cheap services.

So back to your question, I guess you could live on that but it might be tight. I do hear there are some local families willing to rent out rooms or even their whole apartments on hush hush deals to make some money. First thing I would do is ask the employer to discuss the housing cost situation because that is what will make or break you. If you can make that work then you probably will be fine because you can always figure how to live like the locals to keep the budget down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2012, 09:51 AM
 
Location: DFW
6,795 posts, read 11,763,458 times
Reputation: 5148
I think you'll be fine if you're willing to go to HK for entertainment and Mainland for shopping..

Food is a little cheaper than HK (which is already pretty inexpensive compared to the US) and it's pretty compact which makes a car unnecessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2012, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Sometimes Miami sometimes Australia
1,093 posts, read 2,278,558 times
Reputation: 1057
Macau was once a very nice place, but since returning to China it has become overrun with trashy Chinese gamblers and village whores. You get solicited whereever you go.

Macau was once a nice place with a distinct culture and even language. However, the former administration gave every resident a Portugese passport, and most left before the handover. It has since lost its unique cultural aspect, though some of the architecture remains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2012, 07:25 AM
 
1,869 posts, read 3,128,396 times
Reputation: 2454
Default Macau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You didn't care for the UNESCO World heritage old town? I found it very quaint. I preferred Macau's pace of life and the people seemed more down to earth. The egg tarts and milk pudding are to die for as well.
I did go to Largo De Senado and checked out all the old Portugese buildings. It was absolutely flooded with tourists. But there was a block or two of nice old buildings, but I still just didn't like the feel of it. I just did not like Macau at all. It was also so gray, gloomy and overcast when I was there (same with HK). I got off the ferry from HK and walked around a bit before getting a cab to the historic part, and it was really "gritty" and dumpy where I walked. I'm also just not a big fan of big casino's & the gambling crowd, not my thing. I have limited experience with Asia and this is my first trip I am on right now, but of the 4 cities I have been to I would give Macau a D-. Hong Kong a B-. Bangkok a A-. Chiang Mai A-. All subjective of course
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 11:13 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Reputation: 9478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I know a lot of people in the gaming industry who went there. I even considered a gaming-related position in HK some time ago, but decided the money was too tight for what figured to be an extremely tiring job.

Macau has a severe expat/local market for everything, housing especially. To convince the government the expats aren't stealing locals jobs, expats usually have to be paid at least double in wages for a comparable level job for a local resident. Add on to that probably 80% of the expats now get their housing paid for by their employers and from a distance it looks all messed up. What 5 years ago was a $1200 a month apartment for expats is now going for $4500. Used to be anyone could show up and make it, visa rules were very relaxed and the cost of living wasn't bad and was much cheaper than HK. It attracted some non-gaming folks, such as the many expats who run stores and restaurants which are popular with the expat crowd. Now you pretty much have to go with an employment package in hand to make it work.

Macau born residents get a ton of preference in jobs and public housing. The dealers as you mentioned make about $30-40k US per year, but they pay $600-900 for rent and mostly eat food purchased from cheaper restaurants and roadside vendors, and when they cook at home they are buying cheap fresh food brought in from China. Macanese dealers and other casino employees have it very well, lower earning Macanese make about half as much and still because of the cheap cost of living available to them can make it. What they can't indulge in is the high end shopping and entertainment the casinos have created, but they have plenty to make frequent shopping trips over to HK and cross into China to get cheap services.

So back to your question, I guess you could live on that but it might be tight. I do hear there are some local families willing to rent out rooms or even their whole apartments on hush hush deals to make some money. First thing I would do is ask the employer to discuss the housing cost situation because that is what will make or break you. If you can make that work then you probably will be fine because you can always figure how to live like the locals to keep the budget down.
Great post! I visited the city for about 10 days, and quite liked it a lot. Sounds like housing is the biggest hurdle, but people are more or less content with most other things for living in Macau?

I have heard that many expats in Zhuhai and greater region, often visit Macau for international needs - i.e. english-speaking doctors, dentists, professionals, etc. than they might need.

A bit curious if most people in Macau would equally go over to China for all their shopping needs - probably a fraction of the cost at grocery stores, etc. Perhaps, anyways.

I'm also a bit curious if FACEBOOK and other websites that are outlawed in mainland China, are functional and commonplace in Macau (or HK for that matter).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2016, 02:35 AM
 
1 posts, read 7,383 times
Reputation: 10
Hi Willy702

your post are interesting. i would like to find out more about cost of living in Macau i heard it expensive for accommodation what about just a single room it cost rm2k , can give me some advise . like in malaysia a master room is about rm600-800 you can get a very comfort place. for a nice condo is rm 1500-2000 with 3 room 2 bathroom. and food is cheap in Malaysia like a meal is rm5- 6:50 let say mcdonald is rm10. how about the renting a room in macau ? and meal ..can give some advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top