U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Mall Capital of the World
Singapore 4 12.50%
Manila 8 25.00%
Kuala Lumpur 0 0%
Beijing 0 0%
Dubai 0 0%
Jakarta 1 3.13%
Shanghai 1 3.13%
Hong Kong 11 34.38%
Tokyo 5 15.63%
Bangkok 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-03-2012, 01:17 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

Asia is known for it's large, glitzy shopping malls. Many

Which metropolis in Asia can rightfully claim the title 'Mall Capital of Asia'? I guess I'm hoping for responses from those who've travelled widely in Asia, i.e. Tiger Beer, even if they're not mall rats it's hard to avoid malls if you're in Asia. Sure, many cities are known for great shopping, from Bangkok, Hong Kong to Hanoi, but which cities seem to have the best range, best designed, greatest no. of shops.etc of shopping malls?

I was just in Taipei and felt it was a bit lacking in this department. While Singapore doesn't have any mega-malls like South China Mall, SM City, Utama I haven't been to a city with so many damn shopping malls (over 200 or so is my guess). Manila is probably a good candidate, it's got many mega-malls, and Dubai might be coming up.

 
Old 11-03-2012, 01:37 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Reputation: 9478
SOuth Korea lacks malls as well. Whenever I've been to Philippines, I see tons of Koreans in those malls.

Speaking of which, I"d probably say the Philippines is the King of Malls. Indonesia might be close as well. Malaysia has quite a few as well.

Sri Lanka definitely is NOT. I was in Sri Lanka last year, and even in Colombo, there were very options.

I'm not a mall person either, but they are nice and air-conditioned. Plus in a place like the Philippines, they put pretty much everything in them including the post office, restaurants, nightclubs, bowling alleys, movie theaters, internet cafes, everything.
 
Old 11-03-2012, 01:42 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
SOuth Korea lacks malls as well. Whenever I've been to Philippines, I see tons of Koreans in those malls.

Speaking of which, I"d probably say the Philippines is the King of Malls. Indonesia might be close as well. Malaysia has quite a few as well.

Sri Lanka definitely is NOT. I was in Sri Lanka last year, and even in Colombo, there were very options.

I'm not a mall person either, but they are nice and air-conditioned. Plus in a place like the Philippines, they put pretty much everything in them including the post office, restaurants, nightclubs, bowling alleys, movie theaters, internet cafes, everything.
Lol didn't even think of Sri Lanka. I just checked this list:

List of largest shopping malls in the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and was surprised to see an Indian mall on top!

Hong Kong might be known as a shopping mecca, but it's more downtown type shopping (there are malls) than huge malls. Singapore, you could say, very much has a 'mall culture'. Everything, not just shops, can be found in shopping malls there and they are still building a lot. Many are extensions of MRT stations.

I didn't think Tokyo would rank high but I hear they've got large underground shopping malls. What disappointed me about Taipei was their malls were kind of 'closed' feeling, more corridors without a central area. So they felt more like indoor streets.

Malaysia, the Philippines, Indonesia have malls but they also seem to have a big street shopping culture. S'pore too, but Singapore's Orchard road is basically lined with malls.

Not having been to Manila, I voted for Singapore.
 
Old 11-03-2012, 10:48 PM
 
Location: Paramus, NJ
500 posts, read 1,255,366 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I didn't think Tokyo would rank high but I hear they've got large underground shopping malls. What disappointed me about Taipei was their malls were kind of 'closed' feeling, more corridors without a central area. So they felt more like indoor streets.
I feel like the Tokyo (Japan in general) malls are pretty boxy. Tokyo also has a lot of stores that are very high. Like, a clothing store could be five floors high. They do also have underground shopping, but I never explored that area in my last visit.

Taipei, on the other hand, has a half diverse collection of malls due to the size of the city. All these malls are spread out so you can't judge one-two malls as what defines as a Taiwanese mall. A lot of the malls in Taiwan, are Japanese owned. Yet, the Takashimiya in Taipei looks really different from the Tokyo Times Square Takashimiya. That's to be expected. But, the layout of the round non-boxy loose Takashimiya is arranged differently from the more boxy Western-looking arrangement in the Taipei 101 area. Which then looks different from a lot of more generic Taiwanese malls that are arranged like they're giant department stores (i.e. bottom floor = perfume, second floor = clothing, third floor = clothing, fourth floor = bookstore, etc.). Also, Taiwan has long underground shopping hallways due to the subway system.

On top of that, it's Taiwan's southern populated city, Kaoshiung, that's considered a shoppers' paradise.

(And yet, none of this really matters much to me whenever I visit relatives in Taiwan. I already live in a shopping mecca town in the US. I take advantage of the Japanese bookstores in Taiwan and that's it. Not much of a shopper.)
 
Old 11-03-2012, 11:22 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
I feel like the Tokyo (Japan in general) malls are pretty boxy. Tokyo also has a lot of stores that are very high. Like, a clothing store could be five floors high. They do also have underground shopping, but I never explored that area in my last visit.

Taipei, on the other hand, has a half diverse collection of malls due to the size of the city. All these malls are spread out so you can't judge one-two malls as what defines as a Taiwanese mall. A lot of the malls in Taiwan, are Japanese owned. Yet, the Takashimiya in Taipei looks really different from the Tokyo Times Square Takashimiya. That's to be expected. But, the layout of the round non-boxy loose Takashimiya is arranged differently from the more boxy Western-looking arrangement in the Taipei 101 area. Which then looks different from a lot of more generic Taiwanese malls that are arranged like they're giant department stores (i.e. bottom floor = perfume, second floor = clothing, third floor = clothing, fourth floor = bookstore, etc.). Also, Taiwan has long underground shopping hallways due to the subway system.

On top of that, it's Taiwan's southern populated city, Kaoshiung, that's considered a shoppers' paradise.

(And yet, none of this really matters much to me whenever I visit relatives in Taiwan. I already live in a shopping mecca town in the US. I take advantage of the Japanese bookstores in Taiwan and that's it. Not much of a shopper.)
That's exactly it. I was actually looking around Taipei for the 'proper' malls. I could find all these small little malls that looked like department stores, but I'm used to the malls of South-East Asia and China. For impressiveness the shopping in Singapore blows Taipei away.
 
Old 11-04-2012, 12:05 AM
 
Location: City of Angels
2,935 posts, read 4,765,000 times
Reputation: 2236
i never actually shop in malls, i just go to them to pick up chicks/eat in the food court and philippines wins in this category hands down, but the malls in bangkok have always impressed me more.
 
Old 11-04-2012, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
1,413 posts, read 3,872,870 times
Reputation: 1425
Really should not discount Seoul. Everywhere you look is a mall. Great shopping experience.
 
Old 11-04-2012, 08:35 AM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
12,575 posts, read 15,046,057 times
Reputation: 12118
Definitely Hong Kong or Seoul.
 
Old 11-04-2012, 10:11 AM
 
Location: City of Angels
2,935 posts, read 4,765,000 times
Reputation: 2236
this is a mall capital thread, not shopping capital. hk isn't in the same league when it comes to malls. and seoul, seriously? wtf
 
Old 11-05-2012, 02:59 PM
 
111 posts, read 240,923 times
Reputation: 105
I'd give the title to the Philippines. Mall is more than just a shopping place to the Filipinos. It is part of their culture. It's like their gathering or meeting place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top