Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 11:49 AM

103 posts, read 205,245 times

Advertisements

who lives there? what ethnic groups? is it safe? what languages are spoken there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 12:28 AM

32 posts, read 80,697 times
Population:

349,000 female
1,073,000 male
1,422,000 total Dubai residents

17% UAE nationals
71% expat Asians (mostly Paki, Bangladeshi, Indian, Filipino, Sri Lankan)
3% are from western countries

The rest isn't counted by nationality (living in collective labour accommodation) but predominantly Asian as well.

National language is Arabic, but many other languages are spoken, mostly Hindi, Urdu, Malayalam, Bengali, Tagalog, and English.

The state-religion is Islam, primarily based on Sunni Muslim culture, other religions include Hindu, Sikh and Christian. Showing any disrespect towards Islam is treated as serious punishable offense in Dubai. Yes, it's very safe.

Are you considering to work there?

Old 04-05-2010, 12:48 PM

571 posts, read 943,597 times
I can't recommend working anywhere in the Middle East- unless you are a devout male Muslim, of course. In which case you may like it.

My friend considered teaching English there for a while, but decided against it when I convinced her that she will likely be raped and then thrown in jail for being raped. It's a very conservative Muslim country.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:25 PM

103 posts, read 205,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calieuropean View Post
Population:

349,000 female
1,073,000 male
1,422,000 total Dubai residents

17% UAE nationals
71% expat Asians (mostly Paki, Bangladeshi, Indian, Filipino, Sri Lankan)
3% are from western countries

The rest isn't counted by nationality (living in collective labour accommodation) but predominantly Asian as well.

National language is Arabic, but many other languages are spoken, mostly Hindi, Urdu, Malayalam, Bengali, Tagalog, and English.

The state-religion is Islam, primarily based on Sunni Muslim culture, other religions include Hindu, Sikh and Christian. Showing any disrespect towards Islam is treated as serious punishable offense in Dubai. Yes, it's very safe.

Are you considering to work there?
i would like to visit there. is it safe for an italian american white male and mecixan american female?

Old 04-05-2010, 05:55 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
It's not like Europe, the US, Australia or some of the other countries. They do welcome tourists, but it is still a Moslim country. If you want to visit, do some reading and learn about the culture, be respectful, cover yourselves. I've never been, but my brother vacationed there a couple of times when he worked overseas. It was much smaller then.

I told my nephew, who grew up in the middle east, that if I ever win the lottery, he will be accompanying me to Dubai. It's a beautiful city.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:16 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
I can't recommend working anywhere in the Middle East- unless you are a devout male Muslim, of course. In which case you may like it.

My friend considered teaching English there for a while, but decided against it when I convinced her that she will likely be raped and then thrown in jail for being raped. It's a very conservative Muslim country.
Wow. Most uninformed thing I've ever read. You'd have a little more credibility if you actually went to the Middle East, but then you might not be raped and thrown in jail, so then I guess you wouldn't be able to post as much misinformation as you just had.

Looking at the stats above...with far more non-muslims working in Dubai than muslims, how do you come to the conclusion that all non-muslims and raped and jailed? How do those people get out of jail to go to work everyday and make money there?

Old 04-06-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Wow. Most uninformed thing I've ever read. You'd have a little more credibility if you actually went to the Middle East, but then you might not be raped and thrown in jail, so then I guess you wouldn't be able to post as much misinformation as you just had.

Looking at the stats above...with far more non-muslims working in Dubai than muslims, how do you come to the conclusion that all non-muslims and raped and jailed? How do those people get out of jail to go to work everyday and make money there?
They're not getting raped and jailed because they act like "they are supposed to". In other words, they wear their traditional Muslim garb, listen to the fascists who run the place, and "suck it up".

UAE | Amnesty International

United Arab Emirates | Human Rights Watch

for a few more specific examples:

Arab gays face forced hormone treatment - Mideast/N. Africa - msnbc.com

Epoch Times - Victims of Rape in Dubai Face Jail

Just check out all of the human rights violations on those websites. Ignoring the problem and saying "Oh yeah the Middle East is an awesome place to live! I'm a naive recent college grad!" will NOT help anything.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Just check out all of the human rights violations on those websites. Ignoring the problem and saying "Oh yeah the Middle East is an awesome place to live! I'm a naive recent college grad!" will NOT help anything.
Hey, guess what, if you visit the USA, you will get shot and murdered or thrown in jail. One of the highest murder rates in the world. People have guns in America, it is legal there.

If you don't get shot and killed there, you will be thrown in prison for life. One of the highest incarcaration rates in the world. Nearly 1 in 10 adult males are sitting in prison in the U.S.

---

Is it true? Well, yes! Kinda. So does that mean that someone visiting the U.S. will get shot and killed or thrown in prison for life. Probably not.

Same with Dubai - incidentally, Dubai is one of the most international cities in the Middle East by a long, long shot. I have a good friend there now who bought a condo and is getting his journalism career going. I've known other friends who taught English in Oman and Saudia Arabia. There are 'white' people living and working there and making a mint of money. Pretty much eveyr expat in the Middle East tries to visit Dubai every change they get because it's the most western and modern by leaps and bounds.

Personally, I'd feel MUCH more comfortable living in Dubai than I would in, say, Cleveland. Statistically significantly safer as well.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Hey, guess what, if you visit the USA, you will get shot and murdered or thrown in jail. One of the highest murder rates in the world. People have guns in America, it is legal there.

If you don't get shot and killed there, you will be thrown in prison for life. One of the highest incarcaration rates in the world. Nearly 1 in 10 adult males are sitting in prison in the U.S.

---

Is it true? Well, yes! Kinda. So does that mean that someone visiting the U.S. will get shot and killed or thrown in prison for life. Probably not.

Same with Dubai - incidentally, Dubai is one of the most international cities in the Middle East by a long, long shot. I have a good friend there now who bought a condo and is getting his journalism career going. I've known other friends who taught English in Oman and Saudia Arabia. There are 'white' people living and working there and making a mint of money. Pretty much eveyr expat in the Middle East tries to visit Dubai every change they get because it's the most western and modern by leaps and bounds.

Personally, I'd feel MUCH more comfortable living in Dubai than I would in, say, Cleveland. Statistically significantly safer as well.

In Cleveland, I could write a letter to the editor and diss every member of the city council. People do it all the time. I could also, if I were a woman, wear whatever I want without fear of getting thrown in jail for improper dress. If I lived an alternative lifestyle, I could do that too and meet others who lived a similar lifestyle without fear of prosecution. If I were an atheist, I could openly be one and openly deny the existance of God. In Dubai I would be thrown in jail or executed.

Are you catching the difference? The problem in Dubai is from the fascist government- something that one cannot help. You can avoid most crime in Cleveland by simply not going into the bad areas.

Just as I said in the earlier post: if you are a heterosexual, male Muslim you're going to be just fine and even love it. If you were anything else, stay in America where our Constitution grants us innumerable & unalienable rights.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
In Cleveland, I could write a letter to the editor and diss every member of the city council. People do it all the time. I could also, if I were a woman, wear whatever I want without fear of getting thrown in jail for improper dress. If I lived an alternative lifestyle, I could do that too and meet others who lived a similar lifestyle without fear of prosecution. If I were an atheist, I could openly be one and openly deny the existance of God. In Dubai I would be thrown in jail or executed.

Are you catching the difference? The problem in Dubai is from the fascist government- something that one cannot help. You can avoid most crime in Cleveland by simply not going into the bad areas.

Just as I said in the earlier post: if you are a heterosexual, male Muslim you're going to be just fine and even love it. If you were anything else, stay in America where our Constitution grants us innumerable & unalienable rights.
Not every American who goes to Dubai is a screaming gay athiest who dresses improperly. There are plenty of non-gay, non-athiest Americans as well.

So maybe you can take that one over to the athiest and gay boards and advise them against Dubai, or tell this miniscule segment of loud improperly dressed gay athiests of the U.S. population to tone it down a bit if they do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia