U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 07:34 AM

816 posts, read 1,555,923 times

Advertisements

Feel-wise, Hong Kong seems much more Chinese and less international than it used to. I took my little brother to the Peak last year and while in the old days there'd be Americans, Europeans, Japanese and Korean tourists but this time around it was almost all mainland Chinese or Taiwanese. I hardly saw a non-Chinese face even in Central and Mong Kok. Lan Kwai Fong is of course still expat central but besides there only at the Ngong Ping/Big Buddha did I see the diverse multinational array of people I used to see.

Singapore is definitely seems more international than Hong Kong. Besides the mix of Chinese, Malay and Indians that the city is known for I routinely saw other Asians and Europeans/Americans. Perhaps a more important distinction is that I actually saw non-Singaporeans who seemed like they actually lived in Singapore and weren't just there on vacation or a weekend business trip.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:12 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
Feel-wise, Hong Kong seems much more Chinese and less international than it used to. I took my little brother to the Peak last year and while in the old days there'd be Americans, Europeans, Japanese and Korean tourists but this time around it was almost all mainland Chinese or Taiwanese. I hardly saw a non-Chinese face even in Central and Mong Kok. Lan Kwai Fong is of course still expat central but besides there only at the Ngong Ping/Big Buddha did I see the diverse multinational array of people I used to see.
That's happening here in Japan all the time as well. Almost every tourist site you go to in Japan, you mostly hear Chinese everywhere.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:42 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,244,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post

Singapore is definitely seems more international than Hong Kong. Besides the mix of Chinese, Malay and Indians that the city is known for I routinely saw other Asians and Europeans/Americans. Perhaps a more important distinction is that I actually saw non-Singaporeans who seemed like they actually lived in Singapore and weren't just there on vacation or a weekend business trip.
I still saw a lot of Western tourists in HK in 2006, visiting the peak and stuff, but wouldn't be surprised if things have changed a lot since then.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:46 PM

3,123 posts, read 2,703,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I still saw a lot of Western tourists in HK in 2006, visiting the peak and stuff, but wouldn't be surprised if things have changed a lot since then.
There is still westerners on Hong Kong Island, but you will few in Tsim Sha Tsui and hardly no one in Mong Kok and Sham Shui Po.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
There is still westerners on Hong Kong Island, but you will few in Tsim Sha Tsui and hardly no one in Mong Kok and Sham Shui Po.
Tsim Sha Tsui and the Kowloon side in general still has tons of cheaper hotels.etc, i think a lot of backpackers and budget travellers favour that side, i.e. the Chungking Mansions.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:32 PM

3,123 posts, read 2,703,036 times
Quote:
Tsim Sha Tsui and the Kowloon side in general still has tons of cheaper hotels.etc, i think a lot of backpackers and budget travellers favour that side, i.e. the Chungking Mansions.
But westerners don't really go backpacking to Hong Kong. If you are that poor, then better go immediately to China where you can get good hotels for a couple for 150 CNY per night. In fact you can get a shared room for 50 CNY if you want it cheap. I think the majority of residents at Chungking Mansions are from asia or africa.

There really is no need for most westerners in China to stay at Chungking Mansions. I was with my girlfriend in Hong Kong half a month ago. I could have spent 300 - 400 HKD per night to stay in a terrible hotel. But it just made a lot more sense to pay 650 HKD per night and get a really good hotel. We instead just cut down the number of days we spent in Hong Kong before going to China.

As most western tourists in Hong Kong are not poor, we should not expect a lot of westerners outside Chungking Mansions.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
But westerners don't really go backpacking to Hong Kong. If you are that poor, then better go immediately to China where you can get good hotels for a couple for 150 CNY per night. In fact you can get a shared room for 50 CNY if you want it cheap. I think the majority of residents at Chungking Mansions are from asia or africa.

There really is no need for most westerners in China to stay at Chungking Mansions. I was with my girlfriend in Hong Kong half a month ago. I could have spent 300 - 400 HKD per night to stay in a terrible hotel. But it just made a lot more sense to pay 650 HKD per night and get a really good hotel. We instead just cut down the number of days we spent in Hong Kong before going to China.

As most western tourists in Hong Kong are not poor, we should not expect a lot of westerners outside Chungking Mansions.
There are plenty of western backpackers in HK, many who stay at Chungking.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:57 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Quote:
There are plenty of western backpackers in HK, many who stay at Chungking.
I've stayed at Chungking Mansions a number of times as well. I just like the atmosphere, tons of Indian Restaurants and foreign foods. I also like the location.

I'm sure there are better locations, and better places, but whenever I've visited HK in the past, I always quickly opt for Chungking Mansions.

Back when I was a backpacker as well as now that I'm not one.

That being said, that is true that there is also a lot of Indian, African, etc. types all around, mostly owning and running the businesses throughout Chungking Mansions. Plenty of Europeans, Australians, etc. with backpacks as well though.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:12 PM

448 posts, read 499,543 times
The reason for Tokyo being 3rd is that Japan is the 3rd largest economy by GDP, after the US and China.
China's total GDP was much lower 20 years ago, Japan was 2nd back then.
And Japan like the US, has many multinational coporations.

Most Japanese are not good at English, english documents have to be translated in Japan.
White collar workers in Singapore and Hong Kong understand English well.
Hong Kong is the most developed and international city of China. The country with the largest population. Hong Kong is a place where East meets West because it was the last colony the British left.

Hong Kong's location is the best among the 3 cities. No language barrier for the numerous Chinese and English speaking people. Hong Kong is China's after 1997 so Chinese is more understood than English.
Singapore is not China so it is right for Singaporeans to use English more often than other languages.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
The reason for Tokyo being 3rd is that Japan is the 3rd largest economy by GDP, after the US and China.
China's total GDP was much lower 20 years ago, Japan was 2nd back then.
And Japan like the US, has many multinational coporations.

Most Japanese are not good at English, english documents have to be translated in Japan.
White collar workers in Singapore and Hong Kong understand English well.
Hong Kong is the most developed and international city of China. The country with the largest population. Hong Kong is a place where East meets West because it was the last colony the British left.

Hong Kong's location is the best among the 3 cities. No language barrier for the numerous Chinese and English speaking people. Hong Kong is China's after 1997 so Chinese is more understood than English.
Singapore is not China so it is right for Singaporeans to use English more often than other languages.
I think Singapore's location is better. A bit more central in Asia. Singapore's location is a large reason for it's success/growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or