U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 06:13 PM

376 posts, read 555,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutyotsuk View Post
I stayed at a few of these places last Summer: B2 Boutique And Budget Hotel Thailand.. Never paid more than 13 USD per night. Always had good TV/AC/Bed/good front desk. 6400 per month is insane! If you can afford it, good for you, but 200 per day in Thailand is excessive for everything, and I do mean everything!
Not Thailand, this was in Seoul...Gangnam Gu area of Seoul as in Gangnam style...probably the most expensive area of Seoul. Bangkok would be much cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 12:04 PM

53 posts, read 198,297 times
How do you plan to live in any country for a year legally?

Old 12-01-2012, 01:25 PM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,062,181 times
Well I'm a Malaysian and I've lived and studied in Penang for the past 5 years - and I love Penang for all that it has to offer. I personally would not choose to live in Kuala Lumpur (KL) due to its sprawl and less-than-satisfactory mass transit system, as well as its notorious traffic jams (cars rule the Malaysian capital - without cars, you'd be handicapped in many situations) during peak hours. But as a tourist, KL can be exciting due to its cosmopolitan and international appeal, as well as huge malls (for the avid shoppers) and gleaming skyscrapers (though no longer the tallest, the Petronas Twin Towers are still one of the most magnificent contemporary skyscrapers ever built).

Penang is compact - being an island with a multicultural population like the rest of the country, as well as being recognized as a regional food capital (Malay, Chinese, Indian - the three main cuisines, as well as your usual Western fares), you'll never go hungry here (24-hour eating outlets and restaurants are always around the corner, as well as 24-hour convenience stores like 7-11). People from KL routinely drive up to Penang (which is 4 hours by car) just to sample its famous hawker fares, and Singaporeans are also known to fly in just for food too! There's really no denial to its reputation - and you'll see Penangites eat, eat, and eat around the clock and are always hunting for food!

The urban part of Penang with its cluster of shopping malls and huge condominiums, and the UNESCO World Heritage-listed historical colonial part (in its capital, George Town) are seamlessly stitched together on a colourful cultural fabric with coconut palm-fringed beaches barely 30 mins from the city. On the island's northwest tip (an hour's ride from George Town), you'll find peaceful fishing villages as well as the world's smallest national park! Virgin rainforests and hills as well as sandy beaches await the nature lovers.

These factors sum up why I love my time there - the contradictions between old and new, urban and rural, human and nature are never too far away from each other. Penang is also liberal in outlook (among the most liberal in the whole of Malaysia) - women (non-Muslim) wear as they please (hot pants, singlets, you get it - though one is expected to dress modestly at religious and government institutions) and English is widely spoken and understood by the urban and business class - so language is never a barrier. Penang also hosts many international students annually (at the university where I studied) as well as a growing expat community (Koreans, Japs, and mostly Brit/Aussie retirees).

You can think of Penang being a more laid-back and a far less costly version of Singapore (besides being island states, they both share a lot of similar traits and characteristics). A typical weekend would see a Penangite sample a packet of Malay nasi lemak for breakfast, a plate of Chinese fried koay teow noodles for lunch, Q up for a plate of nasi kandar at the ubiquitous Indian Muslim stalls for dinner, and head to the pub for some beers after 9, and perhaps followed by a midnight movie at the cinema!

Last edited by kyh; 12-01-2012 at 02:19 PM..

Old 10-14-2014, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,156 times
I am from Yokohama and I would recommend Yokohama. Great accessible to Tokyo just one foot step.
Otherwise I say Bangkok or Singapore would be 2nd and 3rd choice

Old 10-15-2014, 05:12 AM

1,021 posts, read 897,016 times
I would choose Penang. Best bang for the buck, accesible to beach, good infrastreucture, many english speakers, good food, proximity to bigger metropolis such as Singapore, Bangkok and KL. Girls ain't that so pretty though

Second choice would be Bangkok. Good infrastructure, cheaper apartment, pretty and friendly girls, vibrant city, proximity to beach and nature, good transportation (you don't need a car when you stay near BTS station), good shopping, good and cheaper food! Many people don't speak English though.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:42 AM

10,424 posts, read 12,419,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal2Omaha View Post
How do you plan to live in any country for a year legally?
Illegally

Old 10-15-2014, 08:04 AM

4,294 posts, read 3,080,807 times
If that me to choose I go to Japan I like sushi.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:11 AM

6 posts, read 5,347 times
Hong Kong's and Macau's people are unfriendly compared with people of other places in Asia. I have lived in both places. The only other place in Asia that is more unfriendly to both locals and foreigners than HK and Macau is China. Living in China now.

No, Taipei is not bad compared with Bangkok with just English. Taipei's english is also much better than Tokyo's and Shanghai's.

Bangkok is not appealing as it has problems common in developing countries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post

On the downside:
-You have to fly to go anywhere outside of Taiwan.
-You will be fine with English, but it will be less prevalant than in places like Bangkok.
-Taipei is very rainy and chilly (High 50's) for the winter months, and it can be very muggy (with more rain) in the summer. The rest of the island has a much better climate, though, so it's easy to escape from the rain for some tropical fun down in Kenting.

My second choice[s] would be Bangkok or maybe Tokyo, though Tokyo would be VERY expensive.
The Phillippines is kinda dangerous really, people have good and enough food there but many people are poor in other things. I don't understand why many South Koreans visit or move there. The Phillippines is bad compared with other developing countries like Russia, China or Indonesia. Papua New Guinea is slightly better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
I hear a lot of complains from foreigners living in the Philippines. It may sound very appealing to live in a country with very low cost of living but the quality of life there is awful. Many locals tend to take advantage of foreigners especially Westerners which means you pay double or triple for the services. And since US dollar continues to fall, you may realize you'll be spending as much for a not so good quality of service or product. Sure, it's a good holiday destination, but not the type of place I would settle in.

In regards to Japan, I tend to find Kobe as very appealing.

Last edited by greyhairgfap; 10-16-2014 at 05:21 AM..

Old 10-16-2014, 06:48 AM

1,021 posts, read 897,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhairgfap View Post
The Phillippines is kinda dangerous really, people have good and enough food there but many people are poor in other things. I don't understand why many South Koreans visit or move there. The Phillippines is bad compared with other developing countries like Russia, China or Indonesia. Papua New Guinea is slightly better.
Mostly to learn English since it is way affordable than Australia or US. There are about 1M koreans visits the Philippines annually.

Also agree that people in China are friendly.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:45 AM

6,774 posts, read 5,122,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Mostly to learn English since it is way affordable than Australia or US. There are about 1M koreans visits the Philippines annually.

Also agree that people in China are friendly.
Actually I think he said that people in China are not friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or