U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 07:18 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times

Advertisements

What are the main differences between Syria and Jordan? To me they seem really similar, but I believe the Jordanians are a bit more friendly towards Israel/the West? I know there's a lot of unrest in Syria at the moment. I think Jordan has a royal family...Islam in either countries isn't as intertwined with politics as the true theocracies, I think, but I could be wrong. Which country is more liberal/western? Aside from the recent uprising in Syria which is generally safer for westerners to travel in? Anyone visited either?

Old 11-11-2012, 11:35 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Nations that are monarchies are very jealously guarded about that, and have formed themselves into a de facto pact of survivalists. An example of that kind of cooperation is that Saudi Arabia will sell Jordan oil a lot cheaper than they will sell it to Syria. Jordan has thusly benefited over the years in the favoritism they have received from the wealthy neighbors that are still controlled by royalty.

Another factor that has worked against Syria is that they have been, for decades, more or less under military dictatorships, who did not always align themselves with superpowers who could be of help to them. This has gotten in the way of a lot of development. Jordan's infrastructure, such as roads, hospitals, universities, have all advanced along more western lines, and the difference is quite visible. Jordan quickly developed an aura of modernization, as there were no well-developed old cities besides Amman, so Jordanian towns quickly acquired a sense of modernity. Whereas Syria has many well-established old cities, often seeming to be crumbling in their infrastructure.

Several decades ago, Jordan was looked upon by the rest of the Middle East as a kind of Switzerland of the region, because of their practical and sensible westernization while retaining traditional cultural values, high level of free trade, and friendly relations with all other countries. Almost anyone from the middle east would have happily settled in Jordan. When I traveled around the middle east in my car, with Jordanian license plates, there seemed to be hushed whispers of envy and respect among the bystanders.

I haven't been to either country since the 1970s, so these remarks address only the shape of the evolution of the two counties through that era.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:02 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,947,691 times
Syria has one of my favorite singers, Sarya Sawas (the band's awesome as well):

sarya sawas(ya riah el bir)syrian arab syrie syria syrisk - YouTube

I would say Syrians know how to party.

The other differences I am aware of:

Syria - Has a secular government run by Bashir al Assad and his fashion-plate wife, Asma. It appears her motto is "Never in Syria, and Always in a short skirt." Syrians in general appear to be fairer-skinned to me and a few are fairer haired than Jordanians.

Jordan - Has a royal family which claims to be direct descendants of the prophet Mohamed. The king also had a fashion-plate wife, Queen Rania. They're allied w/ the wealthy Emirati royal family via the marriage of princess Haya to Sheikh Mohammed of Dubai.

Pls let me know if I am incorrect about their govt. structures. For anyone unaware of how these ladies look:
HRH Queen Rania:
http://celebritywonder.ugo.com/pictu...is_8556135.jpg

Asma:
http://www.presidentassad.net/ASMA_A...une%202004.jpg

Old 11-13-2012, 12:10 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
. For anyone unaware of how these ladies look:]
The heads of state in the USA and Myanmar and Sweden and Congo and Fiji and Nicaragua also have beautiful wives, but I don't think that says anything about the similarities of the countries

Old 11-13-2012, 07:03 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,947,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The heads of state in the USA and Myanmar and Sweden and Congo and Fiji and Nicaragua also have beautiful wives, but I don't think that says anything about the similarities of the countries
I didn't say they were beautiful, LOL but I guess they'd be happy you think so.

I was trying to share the differences I am aware of between Syria and Jordan. The system of government is different...if Syria even has a government anymore.

I was posting pix because I thought it would be interesting for ppl to see how the leaders look. I picked the women because I'm more interested in them, as they're normally in the pages of the fashion rag I read.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:02 PM

32,071 posts, read 32,968,461 times
I think the main difference is that they have different types of government. Jordan is a constitutional monarchy with an appointed government whereas Syria is a republic that is actually run like a dictatorship (hence the current civil war).

Jordan has a peace agreement with Israel but Syria doesn't.

I have been to Jordan on a very short visit. During my short stay, I was invited to the home of a Jordanian family in Amman to share in their breaking of the Ramadan fast. The experience was positive and memorable.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:06 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Nations that are monarchies are very jealously guarded about that, and have formed themselves into a de facto pact of survivalists. An example of that kind of cooperation is that Saudi Arabia will sell Jordan oil a lot cheaper than they will sell it to Syria. Jordan has thusly benefited over the years in the favoritism they have received from the wealthy neighbors that are still controlled by royalty.

Another factor that has worked against Syria is that they have been, for decades, more or less under military dictatorships, who did not always align themselves with superpowers who could be of help to them. This has gotten in the way of a lot of development. Jordan's infrastructure, such as roads, hospitals, universities, have all advanced along more western lines, and the difference is quite visible. Jordan quickly developed an aura of modernization, as there were no well-developed old cities besides Amman, so Jordanian towns quickly acquired a sense of modernity. Whereas Syria has many well-established old cities, often seeming to be crumbling in their infrastructure.

Several decades ago, Jordan was looked upon by the rest of the Middle East as a kind of Switzerland of the region, because of their practical and sensible westernization while retaining traditional cultural values, high level of free trade, and friendly relations with all other countries. Almost anyone from the middle east would have happily settled in Jordan. When I traveled around the middle east in my car, with Jordanian license plates, there seemed to be hushed whispers of envy and respect among the bystanders.

I haven't been to either country since the 1970s, so these remarks address only the shape of the evolution of the two counties through that era.
Interesting! Making me want to visit Jordan now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or