U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 05:13 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times

Advertisements

Malaysia
Thailand
Vietnam

Cities:

Malaysia (Penang, Melaka, KL, Kuantan, Kuching)
Vietnam (Hue, Hoi An, Hanoi, HCMC)
Thailand (BKK, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Udon Thani)

Culture:

Malaysia (diversity)
Thailand
Vietnam

Scenery:

Malaysia
Vietnam
Thailand

Nature:

Malaysia (most virgin forest)
Thailand/Vietnam (both pretty devastated/de-forested)

Beaches:

Thailand/Malaysia
Vietnam

Food:

Malaysia
Thailand
Vietnam

(but all are among the best in the world)

People:

Thailand
Malaysia
Vietnam

Entertainment:

Thailand
Malaysia
Vietnam

Ease of travel:

Malaysia
Thailand
Vietnam

Overall:

Malaysia
Thailand/Vietnam

Old 11-12-2012, 05:58 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,147,934 times
Malaysia too equatorial, Vietnam too communist, that leaves Thailand. Easy win!

Old 11-12-2012, 09:28 AM

1,869 posts, read 3,127,530 times
I will have to check out Malaysia and see for myself. Two of my friends who visited did not seem that impressed. What I have heard on this forum is very good about Malaysia though.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I will have to check out Malaysia and see for myself. Two of my friends who visited did not seem that impressed. What I have heard on this forum is very good about Malaysia though.
You can hear wildly varying experiences on the same country. Especially a country as opposed to a city. It will depend on a million factors. Where in Malaysia they stayed, how long, the accommodation, what happened to them, what they did.etc. If you go definitely don't confine yourself only to cities or just KL. The real 'heart' of Malaysia isn't KL, imo. It's the historic settlements like Melaka, Penang, Kuala Kangsar, the more Malay Kuantan, Kota Bharu, it's the virgin tropical rainforest of Taman Negara (sadly a lot of forest is getting lost), the white sandy beaches of the east coast, Langkawi.

And don't forget in my comparison I'm including East Malaysia, the northern part of Borneo. For nature it has rainforests, beaches, coral reefs, amazing caves, and towering mountains, Mount Kinabalu is the highest peak in Borneo and one of the tallest in SE Asia.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:10 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,455,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Malaysia too equatorial, Vietnam too communist, that leaves Thailand. Easy win!
The blatant sex trade in Thailand bothered me

Old 11-12-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
True, although one can avoid that if they want. In Vietnam I bet you were constantly offered 'boom boom' everywhere you went. The sex trade in VN is more underground. I didn't find out what it was all about, it's obviously not as visible just out on the street. One thing I prefer about Malaysia is that there's a lot less of the sleaze of Thailand.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:46 AM

376 posts, read 555,267 times
Default Thai vs. Malay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
True, although one can avoid that if they want. In Vietnam I bet you were constantly offered 'boom boom' everywhere you went. The sex trade in VN is more underground. I didn't find out what it was all about, it's obviously not as visible just out on the street. One thing I prefer about Malaysia is that there's a lot less of the sleaze of Thailand.
I can't speak about Vietnam but have visited Thailand and Malaysia on multiple occasions.

Peope - I think the Thai are more frindly but I'm not sure if that's because of the fact they're more dependent on foreign currency being spent there. Malaysia has a stronger economy as their systems were set up by the Brits and Common Law and they also have oil. Malay is more diverse but the Muslim majority and the restrictions they have I think creates a separation and some interpersonal strains that are not there in Thailand. The common usage of English is a big plus there though. Overall advantage Thailand.

Safety - I felt very safe in both countries and both seem to have sufficient medical treatment. Thi is a draw imo.

Food - I really love Thai food but I thought the variety and quality of food in Malaysia was a little better. Slight advantage Malaysia.

Cost - boy both of these are great in cost. most sites seem to indicate Thailand is cheaper but the only thing that was demonstrably cheapaer that I noticed was alcohol (probably due to the Muslim majority tacing this sin). This is a close call but maybe slight advantage Thailand.

Climate - Malay is basically on the equator and is quite humid. |At least in the northern Thailand you get a bit of a break from the heat during the winter months. Advantage Thailand.

Overall advantage Thailand but Malaysia does offer a nice visa program that is more enticing than anything offered by Thaialnd.

p.s. - I'm thinking of retiring in 1 of these countries or possibly try them both for awhile.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:15 AM

5,090 posts, read 8,062,897 times
Quote:
What areas were you located at most of your time there?

Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 AM

1,869 posts, read 3,127,530 times
Default Malaysia vs. Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You can hear wildly varying experiences on the same country. Especially a country as opposed to a city. It will depend on a million factors. Where in Malaysia they stayed, how long, the accommodation, what happened to them, what they did.etc. If you go definitely don't confine yourself only to cities or just KL. The real 'heart' of Malaysia isn't KL, imo. It's the historic settlements like Melaka, Penang, Kuala Kangsar, the more Malay Kuantan, Kota Bharu, it's the virgin tropical rainforest of Taman Negara (sadly a lot of forest is getting lost), the white sandy beaches of the east coast, Langkawi.

And don't forget in my comparison I'm including East Malaysia, the northern part of Borneo. For nature it has rainforests, beaches, coral reefs, amazing caves, and towering mountains, Mount Kinabalu is the highest peak in Borneo and one of the tallest in SE Asia.
I agree totally with Trimax. One has to visit and get their own impressions, I have found many times my opinions differ greatly with friends who have been there. And yes I do not think my friends hit all the areas of Malaysia you mention.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:50 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,127,002 times
Quote:
Stay away from Patpong and Soi Cowboy and so on. Thailand has something to offer for all kinds of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or