U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 10:36 PM
JL

7,354 posts, read 11,888,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
It is the fermented beans. I had to get used to eating rice in the morning as well. My wife makes a Western/Eastern Breakfast. Rice and Eggs along with Miso sometimes and Bacon.
Are you talking about Natto beans with rice? I had some before and it's very bitter, but it is rich in protein...very good for the digestive system. My friend gave me some to try. He eats it every day at dinner. I could get used to it though...i would probably have to add soy sauce to it. The smell and slimey texture alone would turn off alot of people though.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:00 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,412,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I find it pretty amazing that people eat savory foods (miso soup, kimchi) for breakfast. As an American, I've always thought of breakfast as consisting of such sweet and/or mild foods such as pancakes, eggs, waffles, french toast, and cereal (obviously not all in one sitting!), maybe eaten in conjunction with some mildly savory foods like bacon.
I thought savoury basically meant salty, not-sweet. Tons of Western breakfast foods are this way, bacon, sausage, spanish omelette with cheese, toast with butter which is salted etc. Weird observation. Bacon would be classed as 'extremely' savoury imo.

I generally do not like greasy foods for breakfast, although bacon and eggs can be delish. I like to start the day with fibre in my belly.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:58 PM

3,520 posts, read 5,463,029 times
Very few in my experience.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:49 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,875,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Are you talking about Natto beans with rice? I had some before and it's very bitter, but it is rich in protein...very good for the digestive system. My friend gave me some to try. He eats it every day at dinner. I could get used to it though...i would probably have to add soy sauce to it. The smell and slimey texture alone would turn off alot of people though.
Yes..

My father-in-law loves them. One day I will try them, but just have to get past the texture.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:36 PM

15,947 posts, read 36,180,478 times
Quote:
When I was in Korea, most of my friends ate traditional Korean breakfasts, IE: Kimchi, Rice, Miso.
Same goes in Japan, so a lot of Miso, Salmon, Rice, Japanese Sausage, small salad.
Same here. I love eating the Korean or Japanese breakfasts. Just something healthy and very sustainable.

I don't see any way of any shift whatsoever of them suddenly shifting to a western-style breakfast. I wouldn't even see the point really.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:29 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,875,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Same here. I love eating the Korean or Japanese breakfasts. Just something healthy and very sustainable.

I don't see any way of any shift whatsoever of them suddenly shifting to a western-style breakfast. I wouldn't even see the point really.

I like to mix them up. I agree, I do not ever see them shifting to a western breakfast. I eventually will switch to a eastern breakfast.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:15 AM

846 posts, read 946,134 times
In HK, it's pretty common to eat Canto-Western breakfast as you would eat Eastern style breakfast. I personally prefer Chinese style breakfast as I find the western fare like donuts, muffins, cereal, oatmeal, pancakes with syrup and waffles overly sweet for my stomach to handle in the morning on a regular basis. Chinese breakfast tends to be toward the warm and savory side. There are days and days when I would have miso soup and natto (microwaved with a good dash of soy sauce and a sunny side up eggs or two) over rice. Natto stinks to high heavens when you microwave them so it's probably not polite when you're living with somebody else but I just love the funk.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:45 PM

15,947 posts, read 36,180,478 times
Quote:
I like to mix them up. I agree, I do not ever see them shifting to a western breakfast. I eventually will switch to a eastern breakfast.
Same here! I ate kim/nori and rice today.

Kim(Korean word) / Nori (Japanese word) is the seaweed paper. I had a hoste Korean woman who use to cook meals in the boarding home, and really loved the Korean breakfast which included kim-n-rice.

I also love the occassional American breakfast, but it's a rarity. I don't think that much grease and fat (fried eggs, bacon, etc.) is all that good for a person. Although it tastes good in moderation occassionally.

The heavily-processed 'cereals' are no match either, when you have fresh veggies and rice which is more common in Asia.

I do enjoy the occassional oatmeal though. But, I've never seen Asians in Korea/Japan eating it though.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:45 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,145,777 times
I know a lot of Japanese people that eat toast for breakfast, but that's about it. Rice with natto was more common, though.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:37 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,412,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Same here! I ate kim/nori and rice today.

Kim(Korean word) / Nori (Japanese word) is the seaweed paper. I had a hoste Korean woman who use to cook meals in the boarding home, and really loved the Korean breakfast which included kim-n-rice.

I also love the occassional American breakfast, but it's a rarity. I don't think that much grease and fat (fried eggs, bacon, etc.) is all that good for a person. Although it tastes good in moderation occassionally.

The heavily-processed 'cereals' are no match either, when you have fresh veggies and rice which is more common in Asia.

I do enjoy the occassional oatmeal though. But, I've never seen Asians in Korea/Japan eating it though.
I would say high fibre/bran cereals or rolled oats are healthier/have more fibre than polished white rice. I think the Japanese diet has too much rice, same goes for most of Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or