Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2012, 04:44 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,762,350 times

Advertisements

Like cereal, toast, bacon and eggs, fruit, yoghurt.etc?

It would depend on the country, no doubt, but is this still by far the exception rather than the norm in most Asian countries? It's probably a bit more prevalent in say Singapore, but I couldn't hazard a guess. Staying with relatives though many began the day with cereal or toast rather than say congee, although that was eaten as well.

Is this still uncommon in say China? Something mostly done by the middle and upper classes or more westernized folk? Is it typical for most families in Japan, Korea.etc? In Japan and Vietnam it still seems most normal to eat rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I wonder if they ever get sick of rice! I assume it's even less so in Indochina and India, but at least India, and much of China, for instance, have their roti and bao (steamed bun), as well as dumplings, bread.etc, not so reliant on bread.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:51 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,468,063 times
About 13.2% east a Western breakfast.

When I was in Korea, most of my friends ate traditional Korean breakfasts, IE: Kimchi, Rice, Miso.
Same goes in Japan, so a lot of Miso, Salmon, Rice, Japanese Sausage, small salad.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:51 PM

5,004 posts, read 12,313,192 times
One could argue why we keep eating cereal / why we aren't sick of it?

Anecdotally, all Japanese folks I know of have a traditional breakfast of rice, miso soup, natto or pickled veggies, and perhaps some tofu or fish.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:07 PM

Yeah it seems pretty much the same as what they'd have for lunch or dinner. I do like that stuff, but when I wake up I want something a bit more...simple, I guess. I don't really go for cooked breakfasts often, the greasiness isn't the best way to start my day. I prefer grains or fruit.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah it seems pretty much the same as what they'd have for lunch or dinner. I do like that stuff, but when I wake up I want something a bit more...simple, I guess. I don't really go for cooked breakfasts often, the greasiness isn't the best way to start my day. I prefer grains or fruit.
Nothing greasy about the traditional Japanese or Korean breakfast. It is not like their dinners, by a long shot. It is a great and energetic way to start the day.

I do pass on the Natto, I just have not been able to get past the texture and looks.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Nothing greasy about the traditional Japanese or Korean breakfast. It is not like their dinners, by a long shot. It is a great and energetic way to start the day.

I do pass on the Natto, I just have not been able to get past the texture and looks.
Is that fermented beans? I think I've tried that once, I don't like it.

I do like miso soup though. But rice for breakfast just seems weird. I'm Asian Australian but my diet is largely western.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:49 PM

17 posts, read 69,937 times
I think most of them wouldn't mind western breakfast, it never hurts to try anyway. However, western breakfast is way over charged in Asia, take full English breakfast for example, it may charge you 15 bucks or something while the Asian breakfast charges only 5, it is mostly economic choice in my opinion.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Is that fermented beans? I think I've tried that once, I don't like it.

I do like miso soup though. But rice for breakfast just seems weird. I'm Asian Australian but my diet is largely western.

It is the fermented beans. I had to get used to eating rice in the morning as well. My wife makes a Western/Eastern Breakfast. Rice and Eggs along with Miso sometimes and Bacon.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:10 AM

3,080 posts, read 11,029,268 times
I've never seen anyone eating cereal or bacon and eggs in Taiwan. It's (western cereals) available in the supermarkets, so I'm sure some do.

On the rare occasion I eat breakfast, I'm sick of cereal, straight bacon and eggs, myself. Much too heavy, oversweet, salty, or just plain. Also, too much dairy. I prefer Chinese breakfast foods, or Japanese-style pastries that aren't overly-sweet, unlike their western counterparts.

I'm still a fan of fruit, bagels and cream cheese, and chocolate croissants.

And, speaking of heavy and over-sweet... I do like making a stomach-busting stack of blueberry pancakes with peanut butter and syrup after a morning of surfing; setting up for a food-coma noontime. That is the best.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:10 PM

7,646 posts, read 18,043,122 times
I find it pretty amazing that people eat savory foods (miso soup, kimchi) for breakfast. As an American, I've always thought of breakfast as consisting of such sweet and/or mild foods such as pancakes, eggs, waffles, french toast, and cereal (obviously not all in one sitting!), maybe eaten in conjunction with some mildly savory foods like bacon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia