U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of the new China leadership?
New changes/policies can be expected 3 20.00%
Nothing new, same old, same old 10 66.67%
Don't know much about the guy 5 33.33%
I wish I was in China right now 1 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 04:48 AM

16 posts, read 20,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1304 View Post
An economics degree from the Kim Il Sung University of the DPRK?! I wouldn't put too much faith in that if I were you.
Integration with DPRK's economy requires a good understanding of their economics, and being able to talk with them in their language at a high level.

That's why Zhang Dejiang is the obvious person for the task.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1304 View Post
An economics degree from the Kim Il Sung University of the DPRK?! I wouldn't put too much faith in that if I were you.
Integration with DPRK's economic system requires in-depth understanding of their system & environment, and to be able to discuss with them in their language at a deep & perhaps personal level.

This is why Zhang Dejiang would be the obvious candidate.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I do have some concerns that 5 of the 7 members of the standing committee are allies of (former leader) Jiang Zemin. Hu was hardly the most liberal guy, but bringing in Jiang supporters shows some regression. I wonder if we'll see less civil rights in China over the next 5-10 years. (I'd also expect slower reform of China's State-owned enterprises).
'Allies', what exactly is that? In China's political system as it was, allies was very important in survival, and it probably still is the case.

I don't think being an ally means that one has to be the same in political believes. Being an ally has the advantage that one can differ in opinion without coming to blows.

I expect civil rights will continue to improve as China's economy grows so as to be able to accomodate more expenditure associated with more rights.

China is very short of modern trained lawyers and officials. As more & more chinese studied & trained in the west return to China, the situation should gradually improve. It takes an awlful lot of well qualified individuals to make a complex modern society tick.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:57 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,161,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinaLee-UK View Post
'Allies', what exactly is that? In China's political system as it was, allies was very important in survival, and it probably still is the case.

I don't think being an ally means that one has to be the same in political believes. Being an ally has the advantage that one can differ in opinion without coming to blows.

I expect civil rights will continue to improve as China's economy grows so as to be able to accomodate more expenditure associated with more rights.

China is very short of modern trained lawyers and officials. As more & more chinese studied & trained in the west return to China, the situation should gradually improve. It takes an awlful lot of well qualified individuals to make a complex modern society tick.
"Allies" meaning someone from the Jiang Zemin faction (as opposed to the Hu, Communist Youth Leage-associated faction).

I was worried about the lack of noted reformers on the standing committee. But I feel I need to dial back my criticism a bit. The new VP is a Hu ally and reformer. His exclusion from the standing committee is odd, but I'm sure he'll be on it in five years for the next congress. It's possible that age was the primary reason for the inclusion of some and exclusion of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or