U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 12:00 PM

12,299 posts, read 15,194,052 times

Advertisements

Here is a musical number to go along with the discussion:

Istanbul (not Constantinople) - YouTube
This city considered gateway to Asia. Also, I like Taiwan better than Formosa. I remember an old man talking about Formosa wondering where that might be and he said, "you probably know it as Taiwan."

Old 07-07-2013, 12:12 PM

1,761 posts, read 6,966,418 times
Philippines/Pilipinas might return it back to it's original name FILIPINAS that we will just used 1 both for Local & International.
The Commission on Filipino Language is discussing about it because we are using FILIPINO LANGUAGE
not the old Pilipino or Tagalog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkkj1znY21k

FILIPINAS - Country Name
FILIPINO will be language and Nationality

Last edited by pinai; 07-07-2013 at 12:52 PM..

Old 07-07-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Burma sounds better than Myanmar
Formosa sounds better than Taiwan, sounds Latin

Malaysia sounds better than Malaya
Indonesia sounds better than Dutch East Indies
Sri Lanka sounds better than Ceylon

My country Philippines was called Las Islas Felipinas ( The Islands of Felipe, King of Spain ) before Americans changed it to Philippines.
They are currently talking about changing the Philippines name, the English and the Local name which we currently used as Pilipinas to FILIPINAS for both local and international used as official but still waiting for approval. It's because of the Filipino Alphabet which has more alphabet than the previous Pilipino Alphabet. They changed the Pilipino (people) to Filipino during 1970's or '80's but now the Commission on Filipino Language would like to correct that they took the Filipino from the Nation's original name which is Filipinas not the Pilipinas or Philippines. So they want to make it all clear and correct that we will just use 1 for both local and international to avoid confusion specially to the new generation. They said the 'F' or those additional letters from Filipino Alphabet came from other Philippine Ethnic Language group and it's not a borrowed letters so they wanted to implement and correct so that Filipino realize that the FILIPINO Language & Alphabet was taken from other ethnic group too aside from Tagalog. To avoid regional group because some people still think that our national language is Tagalog not Filipino.

Last edited by pinai; 07-07-2013 at 01:02 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 PM

2,384 posts, read 5,849,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
They are currently talking about changing the Philippines name, the English and the Local name which we currently used as Pilipinas to FILIPINAS for both local and international used as official but still waiting for approval. It's because of the Filipino Alphabet which has more alphabet than the previous Pilipino Alphabet. They changed the Pilipino (people) to Filipino during 1970's or '80's but now the Commission on Filipino Language would like to correct that they took the Filipino from the Nation's original name which is Filipinas not the Pilipinas or Philippines. So they want to make it all clear and correct that we will just use 1 for both local and international to avoid confusion specially to the new generation. They said the 'F' or those additional letters from Filipino Alphabet came from other Philippine Ethnic Language group and it's not a borrowed letters so they wanted to implement and correct so that Filipino realize that the FILIPINO Language & Alphabet was taken from other ethnic group too aside from Tagalog. To avoid regional group because some people still think that our national language is Tagalog not Filipino.
I heard about this last week but I am not really giving this a big deal because it's not yet approved. They have not even discussed it yet in Malacanang, it is too early to talk about it. I hope it pushes through. I am for it as it is just right to change it back to it's original name.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I heard about this last week but I am not really giving this a big deal because it's not yet approved. They have not even discussed it yet in Malacanang, it is too early to talk about it. I hope it pushes through. I am for it as it is just right to change it back to it's original name.
It is also a recognition that "F" exist in Philippine Languages. Those who are not exposed in F was actually using and part of their language like the tribal group 'Ivatan, Ifugao, Ifontok, Ibanag etc.' who are not exposed in Hispanic Culture. They kept insist that F doesn't exist in our alphabet lol... That was when we were still using the Pilipino Alphabet, But because Pilipino is mostly based in Tagalog and to recognized the other ethic groups that is why they had to change it and add more alphabet that was also taken from other Philippine Ethnic groups. It just show that most Filipinos are not aware of the history of our national language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_FUraMQJ8k

Last edited by pinai; 07-09-2013 at 02:37 AM..

Old 07-09-2013, 09:14 AM

5,223 posts, read 5,091,707 times
The country name changed from Upper Volta to Burkina Faso, but they wisely kept the capital's name as Ouagadougou.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:25 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
East Pakistan ==> Bangladesh
Persia ==> Iran
Mesopotamia ==> Iraq
Nejd and Hejaz ==> Saudi Arabia
Ottoman Empire ==> Turkey

Old 07-10-2013, 08:45 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
I prefer:

Myanmar
Taiwan
Indonesia
Thailand
Malaysia
Sri Lanka
Vietnam

Beijing
Chongqing
Mumbai
Chennai - old one
Yangon
Saigon - old one

Basically, I adapt to whatever the NEW one is. Feels more respectful. However, I continue with Saigon, because when I went to 'Ho Chi Mihn City', all of the locals referred to it as Saigon.

Chennai is the only one I keep for that, because I'm not as familiar with secondary India cities, and I honestly thought that Madras and Chennai were two different cities altogether - being that I've never actually researeched or had personal interest in that city, to know anything different about it.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:12 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,873,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
NEW --------- OLD (1900's) ------EVEN OLDER (as in 1800's)

Tokyo - ------ Tokio - --------------- Edo
Beijing - ----- Peking ---------------- Peiping
Harare - ------ Salisbury
Kinshasha - -- Leopoldville
Istanbul - --------------------------- Constantinople
St. Petersburg - Leningrad - Petrograd - St. Petersburg
Volgograd ------ Stalingrad - -- Volgograd
Salonika --------Thessaloniki (I think)
Ghana -------- Gold Coast
Burkina Faso ---Upper Volta
Namibia --------S.W. Africa
Iran ---------- Persia
Korea ----------------------------- Chosen
Benin --------- Dahomey
Somalia -------Somaliland
Tanzania ------ Tanganyika
Zimbabwe ------Southern Rhodesia
Zambia --------Northern Rhodesia
Taiwan --------Formosa
Thunder Bay (city), Canada - Fort Arthur/Port William
Gatineau, Canada - Hull, Canada
Mumbai -------- Bombay
Dalian China ----------------------- Port Arthur
Chennai -------- Madras
Jordan --------Trans-Jordan
Romania ---------------------------Rumania or Roumania
Wroclaw Poland ---------Breslau Germany
Strasbourg France -------Strasburg Germany
Kaliningrad Russia-------Koenigsburg Germany
Szeczin Poland---------Stettin Germany
Santo Domingo, Dom Rep-----Ciudad Trujillo
Ontario --------------------------Upper Canada (it looks lower on a map, but it's further "Up" the St. Lawrence River)
Quebec-------------------------- Lower Canada (higher on a map, but it's "down-river")
Toronto--------------------------York

It is interesting, some parts of Tokyo, still use Tokio.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:00 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,615,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Mandarin had a palatalization process in recent history (a few hundred years ago).
velar consonants became palatal consonants before high vowels.

That is why peking -> Beijing
More recently, Chinese Romanization systems widely in usage have trended from Wade-Giles to Pinyin (at least for Mandarin pronounciation). Such as Peking to Beijing. Even Taiwan has adopted some Pinyin Romanization, despite the political overtones.

However, interestingly enough, Peking University, still retains its former Romanized name "Peking University" officially, rather than "Beijing University" (bei ta). So does Tsinghua University (as opposed to Qinghua). It's probably out of the schools' long tradition and history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia