Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 08:22 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
OP: I agree with your bolded choices in general, much more enigmatic, interesting to the ear.
Yes, I think they're redolent of the age of exploration (the colonial era)...the very name 'Burma' conjures up visions of a mystical land with of golden pagodas and people who (to europeans) lived a drastically different life, in a different world really, penned by English authors and inspired by their travels or merely their imagination.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:33 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,465,497 times
Aren't these only the official "English" names. I know in India, terms like Bharat and Bharat Mata are in widespread use to refer to "India" and "Mother India," respectively. The "official" name of the Republic of India is actually Bharat Ganarajya. I will say that it's easier to change the names of cities rather than countries in common parlance, especially ones that are as well established as Japan, China, and India in the English lexicon.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Aren't these only the official "English" names. I know in India, terms like Bharat and Bharat Mata are in widespread use to refer to "India" and "Mother India," respectively. The "official" name of the Republic of India is actually Bharat Ganarajya. I will say that it's easier to change the names of cities rather than countries in common parlance, especially ones that are as well established as Japan, China, and India in the English lexicon.
Well sometimes the English name is the same...like Chennai was the native name for Madras.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:01 PM

571 posts, read 1,317,974 times
There are many Koreans who are pushing to have their country's spelling changed to "Corea". It is said that when Japan occupied the country (1910-1945) they spelled it with a "K" so alphabetically it would come after "J" for Japan!
As a historian I am often encountering names of places that I am not sure of the modern names!

Old 02-27-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
There are many Koreans who are pushing to have their country's spelling changed to "Corea". It is said that when Japan occupied the country (1910-1945) they spelled it with a "K" so alphabetically it would come after "J" for Japan!
As a historian I am often encountering names of places that I am not sure of the modern names!
Really? Sounds a bit like an urban legend sort of thing. Well in that case wouldn't America be no. 1 since it starts with 'A'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia