U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 05:07 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,669,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
so do you still wonder why Manila and its environs gets the lion share of the money?

you said it..the islands are not just cost effective. we cant distribute precious money to where it doesnt generate returns..

its better to develop maybe 4 megalopolis and pour infra in these places than distributing it to the small islands..

and yet they are fighting for state hoods

I only said it's not cost effective for INTERNATIONAL shipping lines doing CONTAINERIZED cargo in most ports in the Visayas, and therefore not good places to set up export processing zones. Export processing zones with production plants dependent on raw imported materials is one type of foreign investment/business model. There are other businesses that can flourish in the Visayas, some of which are existing and in operations. Also putting better infrastructure like bridges, tunnels to connect the islands will give better transport options. And these are not small islands, especially in terms of population. Japan made sure to connect Shikoku with the main island Honshu even if its population is smaller than even Negros or Panay and these most likely did not "pay for itself".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 05:12 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,669,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
read Golden Tiger post.. he said it correctly..most places especially the islands are not "worth" pouring money into

thats just a painful truth no one is talking about when they are advocating federalism

Please do not misquote me. I just said it is not the right time for international shipping lines to put up containerized cargo routes to those cities, and therefore, export processing zones are not the answer in those islands. Other than that, I never said it's not worth investing there.

I don't know where you are from and how much you know about the Visayas and Mindanao, but I've been to Iloilo City, Bacolod City, Cagayan de Oro City, Davao City, Tagbilaran City, etc. and all of them are more prosperous and better than anywhere in Tarlac.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:15 PM

12 posts, read 2,874 times
I think what should be solved here is Visayas, Mindanao, Palawan and Sulu be granted self determination because they did not want to the join the revolutionary republic of Bonifacio even if they joined Katipunan, they want their own country. Quezon did not grant them that and instead put them in a forced union against their will.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:53 AM

3,339 posts, read 2,078,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazumasa View Post
I think what should be solved here is Visayas, Mindanao, Palawan and Sulu be granted self determination because they did not want to the join the revolutionary republic of Bonifacio even if they joined Katipunan, they want their own country. Quezon did not grant them that and instead put them in a forced union against their will.
they could even secede if its up to me

Old 04-01-2019, 12:26 PM

9,529 posts, read 9,412,026 times
The Philippines is so diverse that I wonder how they could ever be a nation. What really unites them?

Old 04-01-2019, 12:39 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,078,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
The Philippines is so diverse that I wonder how they could ever be a nation. What really unites them?
its just like America where some states are so proud of themselves but couldnt stand on their own when given the chance to be independent.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:23 PM

4,520 posts, read 3,100,674 times
Quote:

an inferiority complex leftover from colonialism and white savior complex when it really should be eskrima

the only good idea duerte had before selling the islands of king phillip of spain out to the PRC was renaming the country

Old 04-06-2019, 05:33 PM

4,868 posts, read 3,385,719 times
With the increased Chinese military incursions around the periphery of the Philippines and the massive economic investments by Beijing the islands will in the end for all practical purposes be an overseas province of the Peoples Republic. Secession is the least of this country's problems.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:12 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,995,231 times
Quote:
The Catholic religion.

If the Reformation arrives in The Philippines, it will still be Christianity since it has been a mainstay in Filipino culture for 500 years already.

Quote:
Who is this stupid God? --President Rodrigo Duterte
Opinion: To the Philippine Catholic Church, Duterte is a modern-day Henry VIII
Quote:
The most shocking aspect of his politics, however, is his direct and often personal attacks against the Catholic Church hierarchy. Until recently, many experts would have considered this an act of political suicide, given the tremendous influence of the religious organisation in Philippine history.

Last edited by KerrTown; 04-06-2019 at 09:20 PM..

Old 04-07-2019, 01:06 AM

12 posts, read 2,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
With the increased Chinese military incursions around the periphery of the Philippines and the massive economic investments by Beijing the islands will in the end for all practical purposes be an overseas province of the Peoples Republic. Secession is the least of this country's problems.
Duterte and Trump are just part of Putin and Xi's Cold War with America and allies once Trump is removed so does Duterte..

However, Duterte might change his mind and have Mindanao secede if the Democrats retake the White House soon, he wanted to secede Mindanao during Gloria's time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia