U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 09:40 AM

3,339 posts, read 2,081,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
I wish we could be more like Japan though, where the whole country is developed, not just the capital.
you can not develop the whole country because it is an archipelago.

better to develop maybe 4 metros..2 in luzon and 2 in mindanao..the visayas let it develop just like the carribean. just for tourism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 09:56 AM

190 posts, read 187,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
you can not develop the whole country because it is an archipelago.

better to develop maybe 4 metros..2 in luzon and 2 in mindanao..the visayas let it develop just like the carribean. just for tourism
In Mindanao, Cagayan de Oro City is near Iligan City and both are near each other and fast developing.
If they connect, we could have a second Metropolis in Mindanao after Davao.

Research on the "Cagayan de Oro-Iligan Corridor"
Officials note slowdown in Cagayan-Iligan corridor | News | GMA News Online

I want North Mindanao especially CDO-Iligan to develop as well as Zamboanga City (Where the Spanish-creole speaking Chavacano live, we can train them to speak Spanish and be our link to Latin America).

I want these two Mindanao cities to eclipse Davao, where Dutae has funneled all investments into.

As for Luzon, it doesn't have a second Metropolis to rival Metro Manila. Angeles City might be a good candidate, but geographically it's going to be devoured by Metro Manila's spread of development to it, and it can't subsist as a separate metropolis.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
As for Luzon, it doesn't have a second Metropolis to rival Metro Manila. Angeles City might be a good candidate, but geographically it's going to be devoured by Metro Manila's spread of development to it, and it can't subsist as a separate metropolis.
it doesnt have to be 2 metros...i'd even prefer a very big megalopolis from say Central Luzon to Southern Tagalog..if this contagious area could be developed, it could accommodate say 40M or 60M already, with all the advantages of a large population, accessibility.

i think this is the development China is doing. a megalopolis of 40M or higher

think of all the advantage it offers of a very big place, you can manufacture everything, assemble everything and export..

instead of dividing and keep on dividing the Philippines into small provinces..dont see any advantage for this

Old 09-05-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I want these two Mindanao cities to eclipse Davao, where Dutae has funneled all investments into.
i just visited Davao area and the roads are wide really. even my bilas who is from Gen San is surprised of the 6 lanes they have

Old 09-05-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
But it is also the part with the most natural resources.
Most of Asia became prosperous not by discovering natural resources but by tapping its human resources — men and women — and giving them the tools to realize their potential.

focus on building the real foundations of sustainable wealth: education, trade, infrastructure, human capital and, in the most successful places, the rule of law

Look at China and Japan … where they are now, even without natural resources. There are countries that possess oil, gas, water and human capital but lack development and even cannot provide basic services, such as roads and electricity, to their people.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/04/o...d%20Columnists

Old 09-05-2018, 05:59 PM

352 posts, read 551,332 times
Quote:
Most of Asia became prosperous not by discovering natural resources but by tapping its human resources men and women and giving them the tools to realize their potential.

focus on building the real foundations of sustainable wealth: education, trade, infrastructure, human capital and, in the most successful places, the rule of law

Look at China and Japan where they are now, even without natural resources. There are countries that possess oil, gas, water and human capital but lack development and even cannot provide basic services, such as roads and electricity, to their people.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/04/o...d%20Columnists

Yeah, Japan, Korea, and Taiwan are what I would call models for economic development.
My point about natural resources was never that exporting natural resources would make a country economically developed and provide a middle class average lifestyle (even though Australia has done very well). You just read that into it. I just meant that they are something that Mindanao and the Visayas have and since they have them, they can use them for their advantage. Then, like I said in my original post, along with good government that can develop the human resources you are talking about, can help an economy get going and provide raw materials for developing industries. Plenty of countries with oil do indeed fair poorly. But even though a country like Japan became a powerhouse without producing much oil domestically, they certainly would have loved to have had it. Not having an abundance of valuable resources domestically are something that a country like Singapore and Japan had to overcome, and kudos to them for using what they do have to overcome that and become strong countries. But it's too bad that the Philippines has not been able to take advantage of its resources.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:44 PM

624 posts, read 386,001 times
Quote:
you are an old school. natural resources don't make you rich. aren't you reading about the Malampaya? its about to be exhausted. driving around the compostela where small scale mining abound, they are as poor as the kaingineros. maybe the financiers, corrupt govt officials will get rich but the place and the residents will remain poor unless they uproot after the mines are exhausted.
Natural Resources do help a country and the local government with more GDP IF it is done correctly and managed properly. But the problem is that more than likely it will not be done properly at all and all the officials are corrupt. You can see that driving from Compostela Valley to Agusan Del Sur where they have check points set up to combat illegal logging. When in reality all you have to do is bribe those people and they will let you through with no problem.

The problem with small scale mining is that locals are left to the hard work and don't share with the profits and don't make a good living wage. My wife is from New Bataan in Compostela Valley and I have been all over ComVal even as a Kano, I have seen the mines and the mining villages.

If the LGUs and the Provinces in Mindanao wanted to actually make a difference for the people of Mindanao they would help them do more large scale farming and help end the rice shortage which will help bring the prices down. My SIL told my asawa last night that decent rice in New Bataan is sitting at 60-65 pesos a Kilo right now. Agusan del Sur has the HUGE swamp right there that they can set up resorts, safaris, and basically be a big eco-tourism hotspot given that the Lolong was from there. The same can be done for ComVal as well and this can help eliminate the NPA presence.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:47 AM

12 posts, read 2,881 times
Quote:
In Mindanao, Cagayan de Oro City is near Iligan City and both are near each other and fast developing.
If they connect, we could have a second Metropolis in Mindanao after Davao.

Research on the "Cagayan de Oro-Iligan Corridor"
Officials note slowdown in Cagayan-Iligan corridor | News | GMA News Online

I want North Mindanao especially CDO-Iligan to develop as well as Zamboanga City (Where the Spanish-creole speaking Chavacano live, we can train them to speak Spanish and be our link to Latin America).

That is my point Luzon should be economically centered on the Angeles-Quezon City Corridor not Manila that is prone to earthquakes.

What about Vismin centering its economy on Negros and Sulu-Zamboanga Corridor.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:25 AM

190 posts, read 187,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazumasa View Post
That is my point Luzon should be economically centered on the Angeles-Quezon City Corridor not Manila that is prone to earthquakes.

What about Vismin centering its economy on Negros and Sulu-Zamboanga Corridor.
I beg to differ. I think Luzon's economy should be centered on Batangas and Naga which has ports oriented to the south.

And in Mindanao, I think it should be centered on Cagayan de Oro and Iligan which has ports oriented to the north.

That way, maritime traffic can optimally be configured in the middle in the Visayas, instead of the out of the way locations such as Manila and Davao which we have right now.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I beg to differ. I think Luzon's economy should be centered on Batangas and Naga which has ports oriented to the south.

And in Mindanao, I think it should be centered on Cagayan de Oro and Iligan which has ports oriented to the north.

That way, maritime traffic can optimally be configured in the middle in the Visayas, instead of the out of the way locations such as Manila and Davao which we have right now.
thats for inter-island trading..you dont get rich with that

think like singapore or taiwan and take advantage of your location
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia