U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 08:17 PM

190 posts, read 187,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
thats for inter-island trading..you dont get rich with that

think like singapore or taiwan and take advantage of your location
Au contraire.

One should first focus on the domestic economy first before focusing on international trade.

Before the Philippines should export to other nations, it should take care of it's people first and that includes ensuring there is enough food grown in farms (Which we do not do since most of our food is imported), that there is enough power provided (Which we also fail at because we have the second most expensive electricity rates in Asia, after Japan), that we should have adequate transport (our infrastructure is outdated) and we should have well connected maritime trade routes to ensure equitable distribution of goods across the archipelago (Which we also fail at since incomes vary so much depending on where you are in the Philippines, Manila having way higher income than people from Jolo or Marawi for example).

All of these cannot be achieved unless we focus on the domestic economy first. Otherwise, if we just prioritize exports. We will end up like Thailand or Bangladesh, countries which have a very large and rich export oriented capital but their hinterlands and outlying cities and towns are dirt poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 08:28 PM

Most of our trade is conducted via shipping.

It would be best if we develop our ports to facilitate this.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:18 PM

12 posts, read 2,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
I beg to differ. I think Luzon's economy should be centered on Batangas and Naga which has ports oriented to the south.

And in Mindanao, I think it should be centered on Cagayan de Oro and Iligan which has ports oriented to the north.

That way, maritime traffic can optimally be configured in the middle in the Visayas, instead of the out of the way locations such as Manila and Davao which we have right now.

Luzon and Vismin should split to two different countries due to differing geopolitical orientations and the fact that the Americans only planned initially to get only Luzon.

Americans bought Vismin due to their riches even if their original plan is to buy only Luzon.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:08 AM

3,339 posts, read 2,080,909 times
Quote:
Au contraire.

rich export oriented capital but their hinterlands and outlying cities and towns are dirt poor.

all over the world, people flock to the cities for the opportunities. even china build cities to transfer its poor from the countryside

productive countryside/farms can only pay so much. ever heard of the farmers committing suicide in Australia and America? because farming is no longer profitable if you don't have economy of scale and economy of scale means, they only need few people

so where will the excess people in the countryside go? CITIES, BIG CITIES, METROPOLIS, MEGALOPOLIS

Old 09-07-2018, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazumasa View Post
Luzon and Vismin should split to two different countries due to differing geopolitical orientations and the fact that the Americans only planned initially to get only Luzon.

Americans bought Vismin due to their riches even if their original plan is to buy only Luzon.
Lol, I lived all over the Philippines, many years in Iloilo, San Carlos, Baguio and Manila, as well as visiting the south. I was also in a religious order where I got to talk to people all across the archipelago as classmates. Most people would prefer a united Philippines over a divided one. This is true most especially in Mindanao were the Christian Visayans fought tooth and nail against Moro separatists to maintain a united Philippines. Throwing that away over differing political orientations is stupid.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Lol, I lived all over the Philippines, many years in Iloilo, San Carlos, Baguio and Manila, as well as visiting the south. I was also in a religious order where I got to talk to people all across the archipelago as classmates. Most people would prefer a united Philippines over a divided one. This is true most especially in Mindanao were the Christian Visayans fought tooth and nail against Moro separatists to maintain a united Philippines. Throwing that away over differing political orientations is stupid.

No, I have talked to some here in Luzon who already said that PH should give up Mindanao due to it being a burden already and many are already fed up of Visayans.

Only one politician I know secretly wants this and this is Binay.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
No, I have talked to some here in Luzon who already said that PH should give up Mindanao due to it being a burden already and many are already fed up of Visayans.

If you actually look at statistics, Mindanao is now Christian majority. Muslims are only minority there. At most, only the southwest portion of the island wants to secede. It won't make sense to give up a whole island just for the whim of a few rebel provinces.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:

Luzon can stand on its own. im sure of that. if the rest of the country secedes, Luzon can hit the ground running immediately. there is no more VisMin to drain the treasury. Let the Dutertes take care of Misuary et al

Old 09-07-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
If you actually look at statistics, Mindanao is now Christian majority. Muslims are only minority there. At most, only the southwest portion of the island wants to secede. It won't make sense to give up a whole island just for the whim of a few rebel provinces.
The Bangsamoro is just a propaganda, I am fine if the union stays but allow Luzon and Vismin to have separate geopolitical orientations not to force each other what they want i.e. Luzon should have its American bases and Vismin should have open ports to neighboring countries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
Luzon can stand on its own. im sure of that. if the rest of the country secedes, Luzon can hit the ground running immediately. there is no more VisMin to drain the treasury. Let the Dutertes take care of Misuary et al
The problem in Luzon can be fixed via restoring the American troops in Luzon (i believe kicking americans ruined the economy of Luzon )and they can focus on their own safety rather than thinking too much about vismin some presidents think too much about Vismin.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
The problem in Luzon can be fixed via restoring the American troops in Luzon (i believe kicking americans ruined the economy of Luzon )and they can focus on their own safety rather than thinking too much about vismin some presidents think too much about Vismin.
come on..dont need to bring back the americans..I submit the problems in Luzon is manageable. despite the Marcoses' greed and abuses, his children are actually good managers in their hometurf (I don't want them in national office though)

the location of Luzon which is near China could be exploited. you can hear the roosters of Taiwan crowing

the problem with VisMin is that, I guess they have inferiority complex and always claim to be victims of imperial manila as if powers have not been devolved for more than 20 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia