U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-26-2018, 10:57 PM
 
621 posts, read 382,847 times
Reputation: 145

Advertisements

I dont think seceeding is the answer, just give power to the provinces and countryside and lessen the Manila-centric policies, then I believe we'll rise up more. Federalism perhaps going parliamentary, anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-27-2018, 09:48 AM
 
3,339 posts, read 2,078,308 times
Reputation: 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
I dont think seceeding is the answer, just give power to the provinces and countryside and lessen the Manila-centric policies, then I believe we'll rise up more. Federalism perhaps going parliamentary, anyone?
the LGUs have a lot of powers already. the only thing the national govt didnt devolve to LGUs are education, police, transportation..and these are big ticket items very few LGUs could fund it if they are given these responsibilities.

LGUs couldnt even provide health services (one of those devolved powers/services) despite given taxation powers and IRA. so what power do they still need?

fact of the matter is, LGUs couldnt survice w/o IRA. they couldnt raise their own revenue despite having the power to do so. why? they dont have a tax base to tax. they need tax from the 3 or 4 regions who have industrial base which the national govt tax and distribute it thru IRA

there 3 or 4 regions could probably have their own self government. the rest will be wards of the federal govt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2018, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,520 posts, read 3,100,674 times
Reputation: 3363
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
Shhh keep your Garuda to your own man.

The islands of Maharlika had already been long independent from Gharhudha. Lol

No. Garuda must spread. Its better now to go on the offensive against the slaves of the papists, bedoiuns, and the communists.


I'm ok with the islands of king phillip of spain being renamed to maharlika. Its more native.



Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
I dont think seceeding is the answer, just give power to the provinces and countryside and lessen the Manila-centric policies, then I believe we'll rise up more. Federalism perhaps going parliamentary, anyone?

I think southeast asia should reunite under a secular democratic government with a uniform civil code, outlaw polygamy, and english as one of the official languages.



majapahit forever!


focus on science
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2018, 12:37 AM
 
12 posts, read 2,874 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
I dont think seceeding is the answer, just give power to the provinces and countryside and lessen the Manila-centric policies, then I believe we'll rise up more. Federalism perhaps going parliamentary, anyone?
Visayas and Mindanao should get independent because that is what they really want from the beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2018, 06:57 AM
 
621 posts, read 382,847 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazumasa View Post
Visayas and Mindanao should get independent because that is what they really want from the beginning.
Says who? A big minority or small majority? I know that doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
the LGUs have a lot of powers already. the only thing the national govt didnt devolve to LGUs are education, police, transportation..and these are big ticket items very few LGUs could fund it if they are given these responsibilities.

LGUs couldnt even provide health services (one of those devolved powers/services) despite given taxation powers and IRA. so what power do they still need?

fact of the matter is, LGUs couldnt survice w/o IRA. they couldnt raise their own revenue despite having the power to do so. why? they dont have a tax base to tax. they need tax from the 3 or 4 regions who have industrial base which the national govt tax and distribute it thru IRA

there 3 or 4 regions could probably have their own self government. the rest will be wards of the federal govt.
I personally don't think so. The current system is good but if there was a better one, why not take that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2018, 09:47 AM
 
3,339 posts, read 2,078,308 times
Reputation: 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post

I personally don't think so. The current system is good but if there was a better one, why not take that?
the most important question is: how would you fund the states/LGUs?

the proposed federal constitution is more of the same, more share of national revenues but they dont want to take over the big ticket items like policing.

they still rely on revenue sharing. if you are a state, you are considered sovereign. and yet you rely on the federal govt for funding and enforce your own laws?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2018, 07:45 PM
 
Location: La Muy Noble Leal Ciudad de Iloilo
190 posts, read 187,282 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
the most important question is: how would you fund the states/LGUs?

the proposed federal constitution is more of the same, more share of national revenues but they dont want to take over the big ticket items like policing.

they still rely on revenue sharing. if you are a state, you are considered sovereign. and yet you rely on the federal govt for funding and enforce your own laws?
Lol, my Mom who's a judge said that judges are now supporting the shift to federalism because every state will now have a Chief Justice and it'll be the chances that judges become Chief Justices have now multiplied lels.

But anyhoo, the original Philippine Republic was a Federal Parliamentary one, in actuality, the Unitary Presidential system was just an artificial system imposed on us by the American colonizers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2018, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,520 posts, read 3,100,674 times
Reputation: 3363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selurong View Post
Lol, my Mom who's a judge said that judges are now supporting the shift to federalism because every state will now have a Chief Justice and it'll be the chances that judges become Chief Justices have now multiplied lels.

But anyhoo, the original Philippine Republic was a Federal Parliamentary one, in actuality, the Unitary Presidential system was just an artificial system imposed on us by the American colonizers.

beats sharia, the communists, and papal theocracy.


Remember what Adam Smith that held back the phillipines from economic development. The church and the crown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2018, 07:04 AM
 
621 posts, read 382,847 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
the most important question is: how would you fund the states/LGUs?

the proposed federal constitution is more of the same, more share of national revenues but they dont want to take over the big ticket items like policing.

they still rely on revenue sharing. if you are a state, you are considered sovereign. and yet you rely on the federal govt for funding and enforce your own laws?
There would always be ways, its the same inequality among nations. In the US, you have bigger states like California and Texas but there are also smaller states, way way smaller than proposed states in a federal Philippines. Just imagine a federal US with lower income states and you'll arrive with same same federal principles.

Look at India and other poorer countries with federal form of government, look how they were able to do it. India maybe still poor for now but somehow development and infrastructure is dispersed all throughout their states. You'll see LRTs/MRTs on different states unlike in the Philippines where you would only see that in Metro Manila and nowhere else. That is just one. There are other negative things you'll see a unitary form of govt develops compared to someone with synergized empowered states.

But then again, to each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2018, 10:28 AM
 
3,339 posts, read 2,078,308 times
Reputation: 2367
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
There would always be ways, its the same inequality among nations. In the US, you have bigger states like California and Texas but there are also smaller states, way way smaller than proposed states in a federal Philippines. Just imagine a federal US with lower income states and you'll arrive with same same federal principles.

Look at India and other poorer countries with federal form of government, look how they were able to do it. India maybe still poor for now but somehow development and infrastructure is dispersed all throughout their states. You'll see LRTs/MRTs on different states unlike in the Philippines where you would only see that in Metro Manila and nowhere else. That is just one. There are other negative things you'll see a unitary form of govt develops compared to someone with synergized empowered states.

But then again, to each his own.
the US Federal Govt dont share revenue with the states or LGUs. each level of govt raise their own revenues and enforce their own laws. it does provide grants but it is not obligated to help the states or LGUs. to each its own.

the federal govt the proponents are proposing is not the same with the US. dont know where they copied it but its just more of the same. the IRA is still there. i mean, they states/LGUs just want more power but no obligation.

i live in OC, California and the county has its own airport, toll roads, etc. in fact the only agency i see from the state is the DMV. dont see any federal agency except those screening at the airports.

this set up is the best federal system that i know.

even without a federal system, the LGUs could be given more powers and responsibility. the only thing that is written in the constitution that is national is PNP. the rest it could be devolved. and dont limit their power to tax.

the LGUs are spoilied. no where in the world an LGU gets 40% share from national revenues and without funding its own public safety, education etc.

No one is stopping the LGUs from creating their own housing department, paving more streets, having libraries, more parks, pre school, local community college, sourcing their own water system, their utility system, broadband network, building a port, airport etc

there is nothing in the constitution that prevents them from inviting investors and refunding them with their own IRA of the national taxes, if thats the way to entice them

as ive said, federal govt wont solve the problems. its vision and will of the political leaders that matters

Last edited by payutenyodagimas; 10-05-2018 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top