U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2012, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,326,592 times
Reputation: 129

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Most people in Palembang are ethnic Malays, and I would say the majority are probably as tanned as their counterparts in Malaysia. That girl might be a rare exception.

I'm from Malaysia and am of Chinese descent - here, if a Chinese marries a Malay or Indian, we would deem either way an interracial marriage - and yes, we're all Asians but we're obviously different from each other in appearance, generally speaking.

I think javanese, sundanese, or other non-malay ethnic groups might take offense to being called malay...
javanese are found to be more related to cambodians then to malays

I dont know how ethnic groups are seen in Malaysia...but we dont call every local ethnicity in our countries as malay...thats insulting to the ethnic identity of people who are just as distinct from a malay as a chinese is from an indian

 
Old 12-01-2012, 02:45 PM
 
5,368 posts, read 5,154,034 times
Reputation: 3308
It looks like she is putting some type of skin lightener on her face. Without it they would be almost the same shade.
 
Old 12-01-2012, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,326,592 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
It looks like she is putting some type of skin lightener on her face. Without it they would be almost the same shade.
in general asian females are lighter then males...this can be seen in many asian ethnicities
 
Old 12-01-2012, 02:52 PM
kyh
 
Location: Malaysia & Singapore
383 posts, read 1,062,359 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
I think javanese, sundanese, or other non-malay ethnic groups might take offense to being called malay...
javanese are found to be more related to cambodians then to malays

I dont know how ethnic groups are seen in Malaysia...but we dont call every local ethnicity in our countries as malay...thats insulting to the ethnic identity of people who are just as distinct from a malay as a chinese is from an indian
Truth is, Palembang is a Malay homeland (in contrast to Javanese, Achehnese, etc). Malay can be defined in two - Malay race and a Malay ethnic group. Indonesians view themselves as of Malay race (bangsa; broad definition) but of separate ethnic groups (suku).

In Malaysia however, every Indonesian immigrant (whether Bugis, Minangkabau, Javanese, Achehnese) from historic times up to the current age, have all come to identify with the Malay ethnic group.

And the Cambodian Chams (not the majority Khmers) are being known as part of the Malay race (bangsa Melayu).
 
Old 12-01-2012, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,326,592 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Truth is, Palembang is a Malay homeland (in contrast to Javanese, Achehnese, etc). Malay can be defined in two - Malay race and a Malay ethnic group. Indonesians view themselves as of Malay race (bangsa; broad definition) but of separate ethnic groups (suku).

In Malaysia however, every Indonesian immigrant (whether Bugis, Minangkabau, Javanese, Achehnese) from historic times up to the current age, have all come to identify with the Malay ethnic group.

And the Cambodian Chams (not the majority Khmers) are being known as part of the Malay race (bangsa Melayu).
malay race is outdated and wrong....SEAsia is too diverse
again not every indonesian identifies as malay

javanese are related to mon-khmer not cham...cham is more related to peninsular malaysia

you as a chinese should understand this considering China is diverse as well
 
Old 12-01-2012, 03:19 PM
kyh
 
Location: Malaysia & Singapore
383 posts, read 1,062,359 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
malay race is outdated and wrong....SEAsia is too diverse
again not every indonesian identifies as malay

javanese are related to mon-khmer not cham...cham is more related to peninsular malaysia

you as a chinese should understand this considering China is diverse as well
The Malay race concept is very alive in Malaysia - all Malay and the Indonesian migrants embrace the concept.

Similarly in Singapore, all those categorized under the Singapore Malays are actually of diverse backgrounds - Javanese, Bugis, etc.

To say it is outdated only applies to countries that seek to eliminate the label, but certainly not here.

And being Chinese for overseas Chinese communities almost always refer to the Han Chinese, very very rarely the minority Chinese nationalities. And you're saying as if I identify with China - no I don't. I identify with Chinese culture, but I don't identify with the country (China), as with the vast majority of the Chinese population here.
 
Old 12-01-2012, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,326,592 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
The Malay race concept is very alive in Malaysia - all Malay and the Indonesian migrants embrace the concept.

Similarly in Singapore, all those categorized under the Singapore Malays are actually of diverse backgrounds - Javanese, Bugis, etc.

To say it is outdated only applies to countries that seek to eliminate the label, but certainly not here.

And being Chinese for overseas Chinese communities almost always refer to the Han Chinese, very very rarely the minority Chinese nationalities. And you're saying as if I identify with China - no I don't. I identify with Chinese culture, but I don't identify with the country (China), as with the vast majority of the Chinese population here.
well the chinese in Philippines very much identifies with China....

maybe the muslim connection brings them together...the Philippines is very much a country that came from the forced unity between peoples who are different from each other...so how does malay race fall into this....it was a simple question
do you think that korean native and filipina native family is an interracial family???

so you believe a malay and chinese intermarrying is interracial...but do you think this korean and filipina is interracial based on their features??
 
Old 12-01-2012, 03:37 PM
kyh
 
Location: Malaysia & Singapore
383 posts, read 1,062,359 times
Reputation: 143
I do think it is interracial. An American would probably dismiss that (their definition of race is largely continental - White African Asian etc), but as race is a potent and powerful recognition in Malaysia, my Malaysian point of view says it is.
 
Old 12-01-2012, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,326,592 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
I do think it is interracial. An American would probably dismiss that (their definition of race is largely continental - White African Asian etc), but as race is a potent and powerful recognition in Malaysia, my Malaysian point of view says it is.
well I dont believe that race is defined by continental parameters....but I find it hard to believe that family is interracial as well


certainly not to the point that its comparable to a chinese-indian family in terms of interracialness
 
Old 12-01-2012, 07:22 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
in general asian females are lighter then males...this can be seen in many asian ethnicities
It's skin whitening plus the fact they try to stay out of the sun. I imagine a foreigner who stays in the fashion conscious big cities might get that impression but go to the country and you'll see more natural tones. Any innate gender difference is slight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top