U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2012, 06:16 AM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,325,262 times
Reputation: 129

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What percentage of people in Manila are classed as 'ethnic Chinese', full or part?

I heard in Bangkok it's the majority.
the rich upperclass is chinese

actually the majority of the social elite in the Philippines is made up of chinese-filipinos

1.6% of the population is chinese descent acording to the survery..only 10% of chinese-filipinos are pure chinese

 
Old 12-02-2012, 06:20 AM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,325,262 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
LOL, yeah Asians tan really easily. Some definitely are naturally pale, and the ones you see in western countries or in richer countries like Singapore can be pale because they spend more time indoors. Actually eastern China is pretty cloudy so I think it's possible to be outdoors and still be pale. Japan is cloudier still, that's why some Japanese people seem so lily white.
this is the palest a native filipina can be

a native igorot woman
 
Old 12-02-2012, 06:23 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
this is the palest a native filipina can be

a native igorot woman
I don't believe she's 100% pure 'native,' definitely looks more mainland East Asian. I can imagine some Ainus looking like her and having very little non-Ainu blood, but not Filipinos. I'm familiar with the Taiwanese aborigine look, many look similar to her and whie they are aboriginal and claim to be such, they are largely mixed with Han Chinese. In Taiwan even if you're mostly Han you can claim being an aboriginal. There are those that are more pure and they don't look like this.
 
Old 12-02-2012, 06:27 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
the rich upperclass is chinese

actually the majority of the social elite in the Philippines is made up of chinese-filipinos

1.6% of the population is chinese descent acording to the survery..only 10% of chinese-filipinos are pure chinese
I think I read the Indonesian Chinese control like 60% of the country's wealth, which seems incredible. Many of the richest Indonesians have Chinese ancestry. Indonesia as well as the Philippines has had a long history of Chinese migration, and many of the early Chinese migrants were merchants as well. After being there so long it's natural there'd be a lot of mixing. Many of the early migrants from places like Guangdong or Fujian were single males who intermarried with the locals. There's also the Peranakans, sort of like hybrid cultures, my grandmother was a Nonya it's a very interesting culture which has contributed some of the best known Malaysian dishes.
 
Old 12-02-2012, 06:30 AM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,325,262 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't believe she's 100% pure 'native,' definitely looks more mainland East Asian. I can imagine some Ainus looking like her and having very little non-Ainu blood, but not Filipinos. I'm familiar with the Taiwanese aborigine look, many look similar to her and whie they are aboriginal and claim to be such, they are largely mixed with Han Chinese. In Taiwan even if you're mostly Han you can claim being an aboriginal. There are those that are more pure and they don't look like this.
well her tribe looks like that...so it may not just be a han look....it may very well be austronesian
considering her tribe is one of the most isolated...and are hold outs from pre-spanish era

actually pure ainus look nothing like her

people/tribes from northern luzon can look very mongoloid
 
Old 12-02-2012, 06:40 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times
Reputation: 11862
^ I guess it's possible her tribe migrated from China fairly late, and are related to the 'Han' like the other ethnic minorities in China.
 
Old 12-02-2012, 06:45 AM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,325,262 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ I guess it's possible her tribe migrated from China fairly late, and are related to the 'Han' like the other ethnic minorities in China.
most mongoloid elements within SEAsia arrived in SEAsia before the arrival of Hans in southern china
 
Old 12-02-2012, 06:58 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
most mongoloid elements within SEAsia arrived in SEAsia before the arrival of Hans in southern china
Most Southeast Asians have relatively late origins, mostly from China. The Malays from Southern China, Dai from Yunnan, Khmer from Southern China.etc. Southern China was really only sinicized after the Han dynasty. The natives south of the Yangtze at the time were probably similar to Malays in look, and mixed in with the northern invaders who look like northern Chinese today, more a Mongolian type look.
 
Old 12-02-2012, 07:04 AM
 
16,019 posts, read 19,675,331 times
Reputation: 26200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
one is korean.....the other is a different asian

is multicultural the same as interracial??
Sure hope these folks are ok w/ your posting their pic in an open forum.
 
Old 12-02-2012, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,325,262 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Most Southeast Asians have relatively late origins, mostly from China. The Malays from Southern China, Dai from Yunnan, Khmer from Southern China.etc. Southern China was really only sinicized after the Han dynasty. The natives south of the Yangtze at the time were probably similar to Malays in look, and mixed in with the northern invaders who look like northern Chinese today, more a Mongolian type look.
while it may be true that the last mongoloid wave to southeast asia may have been pushed there by advancing northern hans who settled southern china
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top