U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 10:23 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,000,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
where did I say that is they had a chinese-filipino surname and looked chinese that they wouldnt be chinese??? I agreed with the part that charice and angel have chinese ancestry because of their surname

again not everyone with a chinese surname in the Philippines looks east asian...I have seen full filipinos from visayas who look more east asian then some people with chinese-filipino surnames. it turns out that those chinese-filipinos were mixed with tagalogs(and the negrito admixture from the tagalog side made the chinese-filipino look non-east asian)

Im not assuming everything btw....I actually know where the people from the pics I posted are from

the pic in the OP was from a youtube video image....the east asian looking filipina talked waray in one of her video
which gives away that she is eastern visayan

the pic of the tagalog woman was from another forum...the original poster claimed she was from manila
It seemed like you were being sarcastic. I'm not sure about Angel, but I doubt that Charice actually considers herself as Chinese-Filipino (or part of that 1.6%) I havent seen anything that mentions her as one. She's most likely part of the 20-30% of Filipinos who have some recent Chinese ancestry.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:12 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,325,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
It seemed like you were being sarcastic. I'm not sure about Angel, but I doubt that Charice actually considers herself as Chinese-Filipino (or part of that 1.6%) I havent seen anything that mentions her as one. She's most likely part of the 20-30% of Filipinos who have some recent Chinese ancestry.
everyone knows charice is partially chinese...she would be part of that 1.6%

anyway 1.6% is alot of people...that would be around 9-10 million people

how did we even get to ethnic chinese in this thread...this isnt even about them...

Old 12-02-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
everyone knows charice is partially chinese...she would be part of that 1.6%

anyway 1.6% is alot of people...that would be around 9-10 million people

how did we even get to ethnic chinese in this thread...this isnt even about them...
I don't think someone who is not in touch with her Chinese roots would be in that category. She was never even in contact with her dad. She never mentions it. A lot of people don't even realize that their surnames are Filipino-Chinese. In those cases, the Chinese ancestry is not that recent, so it's forgotten

It came up because you were trying to downplay Chinese ancestry in the Philippines. There's a difference between Chinese-Filipinos, who know and acknowledged it, and all the Filipinos who have some Chinese ancestry.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
I don't think someone who is not in touch with her Chinese roots would be in that category. She was never even in contact with her dad.

It came up because you were trying to downplay Chinese ancestry in the Philippines. There's a difference between Chinese-Filipinos and all the Filipinos who have some Chinese ancestry.
again she is a non-practicing chinese-filipino
filipinos who have chinese ancestry are called chinese-filipinos...even president aquino who has like 1/16th chinese ancestry

you should learn the difference between actual chinese-filipinos and filipinos who just look east asian

im thinking you probably think the way you do because you seem to be very tagalog-centric....tagalogs think they are the center of everything filipino..and if you dont look like them then your not filipino(which is impossible for many filipinos to look like since many tagalogs are actually negrito hybrids with extremely australoid features)

Old 12-03-2012, 12:03 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Why are there always arguments over the Philippines here? Who cares how Chinese they are, they are all Filipinos!
That's the way I see Filipinos as well, and I believe that's generally how they see themselves. I don't think I've ever heard them compare/discuss/show interest in how negrito, chinese, or other they might be.

They would generally just consider themselves Filipino, and that's about it. Talking with the wife though, she does like it when she meets the rare individual that speaks her family's native language. But she's just as happy to speak in Tagalog or Cebuano just as well.

The only real division I regularly hear with Filipinos is 'Manila' vs. 'the provinces'. Manila is where everyone lies and cheats and takes advantage of each other, and 'the provinces' are where everyone will give the shirt of their back for one another (or so the sayings seem to go).

But, even that one being said, plenty of Filipinos make friends with any other Filipino regardless of where they are originally from, and definitely despite whatever racial mix they might have had in their long histories. Seems like every Filipino seems to think that they all have a little bit of Spanish and a little bit of Chinese mixed in there somewhere.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
again she is a non-practicing chinese-filipino
filipinos who have chinese ancestry are called chinese-filipinos...even president aquino who has like 1/16th chinese ancestry

you should learn the difference between actual chinese-filipinos and filipinos who just look east asian

im thinking you probably think the way you do because you seem to be very tagalog-centric....tagalogs think they are the center of everything filipino..and if you dont look like them then your not filipino(which is impossible for many filipinos to look like since many tagalogs are actually negrito hybrids with extremely australoid features)
The 1.6% figure comes from here and it says "The Ranking of Ethnic Chinese Population" So to me it sounds like these numbers are talking about very recent Chinese ancestry. Just like "Filipino-American" is talking about Filipino ancestry within a few generations and not somebody who is 1/16th Filipino. So most of the Filipinos with Chinese ancestry are not accounted for. On the list, the number for Chinese in the US & Canada correspond with census numbers for Chinese in those countries.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's the way I see Filipinos as well, and I believe that's generally how they see themselves. I don't think I've ever heard them compare/discuss/show interest in how negrito, chinese, or other they might be.

They would generally just consider themselves Filipino, and that's about it. Talking with the wife though, she does like it when she meets the rare individual that speaks her family's native language. But she's just as happy to speak in Tagalog or Cebuano just as well.

The only real division I regularly hear with Filipinos is 'Manila' vs. 'the provinces'. Manila is where everyone lies and cheats and takes advantage of each other, and 'the provinces' are where everyone will give the shirt of their back for one another (or so the sayings seem to go).

But, even that one being said, plenty of Filipinos make friends with any other Filipino regardless of where they are originally from, and definitely despite whatever racial mix they might have had in their long histories. Seems like every Filipino seems to think that they all have a little bit of Spanish and a little bit of Chinese mixed in there somewhere.
you are right about one thing.....filipinos do make friends with other filipino regardless of their racial background

as for the saying of manila vs provinces...there is some truth to that
it might have to do with Manila being a hybrid city and most people from the provinces are usually mono-racial

Old 12-03-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
The 1.6% figure comes from here and it says "The Ranking of Ethnic Chinese Population" So to me it sounds like these numbers are talking about very recent Chinese ancestry. Just like "Filipino-American" is talking about Filipino ancestry within a few generations and not somebody who is 1/16th Filipino. So most of the Filipinos with Chinese ancestry are not accounted for. On the list, the number for Chinese in the US & Canada correspond with census numbers for Chinese in those countries.
actually that chart is even less then 1.6 %..its probably talking about pure chinese...who do make up 10% of that 1.6% so 1 million would seem right for pure chinese

ummm rob schneider is seen as a filipino-american and he is only 1/4th or less

Old 12-03-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
you are right about one thing.....filipinos do make friends with other filipino regardless of their racial background

as for the saying of manila vs provinces...there is some truth to that
it might have to do with Manila being a hybrid city and most people from the provinces are usually mono-racial
You're the only person I've ever heard that describes Manila as being a different race than the rest of the Philippines, the ONLY person, and you say it everywhere on all kinds of forums. You make up stuff and expect us to take it as fact, even though there's no proof, besides your anecdotes. Nobody has done a study on this. Maybe because it's not something significant.

Quote:
actually that chart is even less then 1.6 %..its probably talking about pure chinese...who do make up 10% of that 1.6% so 1 million would seem right for pure chinese

ummm rob schneider is seen as a filipino-american and he is only 1/4th or less
No, the numbers match up with the percentage. It's just that they used the 2000 Census as a reference for the total population. 1,146,250 out of 76,498,735 is about 1.5% so not completely 1.6% but close enough. And it definitely doesn't go with your theory about pure Chinese or whatever.

And yes, maybe Rob Scheider considers himself Filipino-American, and maybe he puts it as his ethnicity on the census, but I doubt that EVERY person in the US with some Filipino ancestry marks their ethnicity as Filipino..

And the situation is much different for Filipinos with Chinese ancestry because the ancestry goes waay back. Filipinos have only been in the US for a few centuries (and nothing significant until after the Spanish-American War) so most people know if they have some Filipino ancestry. Chinese have been in the Philippines since the 10th century. So lot of Filipinos have Chinese ancestry and don't know it, so of course they're not gonna identify themselves as Chinese-Filipino. And even for those that know that they have some distant Chinese ancestry, I don't think that's going to compell them to identify as Chinese-Filipino. That 1.5% doesn't include all of those Filipinos. Do you honestly think it does? honestly...

Old 12-03-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
You're the only person I've ever heard that describes Manila as being a different race than the rest of the Philippines, the ONLY person, and you say it everywhere on all kinds of forums. You make up stuff and expect us to take it as fact, even though there's no proof, besides your anecdotes. Nobody has done a study on this. Maybe because it's not something significant.

No, the numbers match up with the percentage. It's just that they used the 2000 Census as a reference for the total population. 1,146,250 out of 76,498,735 is about 1.5% so not completely 1.6% but close enough. And it definitely doesn't go with your theory about pure Chinese or whatever.

And yes, maybe Rob Scheider considers himself Filipino-American, and maybe he puts it as his ethnicity on the census, but I doubt that EVERY person in the US with some Filipino ancestry marks their ethnicity as Filipino..

And the situation is much different for Filipinos with Chinese ancestry because the ancestry goes waay back. Filipinos have only been in the US for a few centuries (and nothing significant until after the Spanish-American War) so most people know if they have some Filipino ancestry. Chinese have been in the Philippines since the 10th century. So lot of Filipinos have Chinese ancestry and don't know it, so of course they're not gonna identify themselves as Chinese-Filipino. And even for those that know that they have some distant Chinese ancestry, I don't think that's going to compell them to identify as Chinese-Filipino. That 1.5% doesn't include all of those Filipinos. Do you honestly think it does? honestly...
Im not making stuff up...why are most filipinos undiscernable from other Southeast Asians but Manila...Manilenos/tagalogs are the odd one out in Southeast Asia...they look like psuedo australian aboriginals

lol im sure havin .00000000000016 chinese ancestry from 1000 years ago doesnt count anymore

we are talking about chinese ancestry from when the spanish let the chinese in up until now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or