Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 06:29 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,979,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Are you dumb? You don't DNA check 30% of the population to arrive at 30%. That's like saying that we had to DNA check 95% of the population to prove that 95% of Filipinos are of Austronesian-descent. It came from a sample. I've seen percentages between 15% & 30% as people of Chinese-descent. The 1.6% are the "ethnically Chinese-Filipino" People who actually consider themselves as such. The percentage of Filipinos who have some Chinese ancestry is of course much higher. People like Charice Pempengco would fall into the category, judging by her looks and her surname. Most of the women that you post pics of would probably fall into that category. They're not rare, but they're not the majority either.
I was talking DNA checking the supposed 30% who were chinese...
again they dont keep tabs on these things.....l

if we went on this just based on looks...then there would be 100 million chinese in japan...since they are probably all chinese due to their east asian looks...and 6 million chinese in laos....60 million chinese in vietnam.....60 million chinese in korea......and so forth

Old 12-02-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Are you dumb? You don't DNA check 30% of the population to arrive at 30%. That's like saying that we had to DNA check 95% of the population to prove that 95% of Filipinos are of Austronesian-descent. It came from a sample. I've seen percentages between 15% & 30% as people of Chinese-descent. The 1.6% are the "ethnically Chinese-Filipino" People who actually consider themselves as such. The percentage of Filipinos who have some Chinese ancestry is of course much higher. People like Charice Pempengco would fall into the category, judging by her looks and her surname. Most of the women that you post pics of would probably fall into that category. They're not rare, but they're not the majority either.
again your just assuming here

you really have no idea about the Philippines as a whole...probably another tagalog centric

Old 12-02-2012, 06:31 PM

3,643 posts, read 10,688,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
I was talking DNA checking the supposed 30% who were chinese...
again they dont keep tabs on these things.....l

if we went on this just based on looks...then there would be 100 million chinese in japan...since they are probably all chinese due to their east asian looks...and 6 million chinese in laos....60 million chinese in vietnam.....60 million chinese in korea......and so forth
We don't do it based on looks alone. But if you have a girl like Charice Pempenco or Angel Locsin who look more East Asian, and also happen to have Chinese-Filipino surnames, then it's safe to assume that they have at least some Chinese ancestry. It's well-noted that the Chinese have been in the Philippines for centuries. And DNA tests show that a large number of Filipinos have recent Chinese DNA. This is separate from the Austronesian DNA, which originally came from Southern China

Old 12-02-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
We don't do it based on looks alone. But if you have a girl like Charice Pempenco or Angel Locsin who look more East Asian, and also happen to have Chinese-Filipino names, then it's safe to assume that they have at least some Chinese ancestry. It's well-noted that the Chinese have been in the Philippines for centuries. And DNA tests show that a large number of Filipinos have recent Chinese DNA
charice and angel have chinese-filipino names and look chinese then they are probably chinese

but be careful of being a narrowminded person who thinks all east asians are just some type of chinese

there are plenty of laotians, vietnamese, filipinos, thai who could look east asian are not chinese

Old 12-02-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
charice and angel have chinese-filipino names and look chinese then they are probably chinese

but be careful of being a narrowminded person who thinks all east asians are just some type of chinese

there are plenty of laotians, vietnamese, filipinos, thai who could look east asian are not chinese
I didn't say that anyone who looks East Asian is Chinese. They could be native Filipinos (like people in Northern Luzon) or they could have some Chinese ancestry (not the same as being "Chinese") If they happen to look East Asian AND have a Chinese-Filipino surname, then it's safe to assume that they probably have some Chinese ancestry. I mean, if I meet someone who has Italian features and has an Italian surname, why couldn't I assume that they probably have some Italian ancestry? Stop being idiotic. You assume A LOT, like where the people in your pics are from, yet you don't know.

Of course, there are many Filipinos with Chinese-ancestry who don't have Chinese surnames, so the population is even greater than one can assume based off of surnames.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:58 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,756,157 times
Why are there always arguments over the Philippines here? Who cares how Chinese they are, they are all Filipinos!

Old 12-02-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Why are there always arguments over the Philippines here? Who cares how Chinese they are, they are all Filipinos!
I'm just correcting this false statement

Quote:
1.6% of the population is chinese descent acording to the survery..only 10% of chinese-filipinos are pure chinese
There's no way that less than 2% of Filipinos have some Chinese decent. If it's based on a survey, like ejay says, then it would only include Filipinos who know they have Chinese ancestry and consider themselves Chinese-Filipinos. That's a small percent out of the total number of Filipinos who at least have some Chinese ancestry

And ejay contradicts himself because he says that that Chinese in the Philippines are "very much separate from the locals," yet he says that only 10% of that 1.6% are pure Chinese. If Chinese keep to themselves, then why is such a small percentage pure Chinese?

Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 PM

1,949 posts, read 6,432,662 times
Quote:
I thought most ethnic hoa/chinese left vietnam during the vietnam war
I heard that there were also many ethnic Vietnamese that posed as ethnic Chinese to escape Vietnam

there was a time when they were allowing the ethnic Chinese / Hoa to leave the country and some vietnamese that could speak chinese well enough to convince the immigration officials to let them leave the country

during the 1980's a large percentage of the "Boat people" that fled the country were ethnic Chinese and some Vietnamese that posed as Hoa

Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
I didn't say that anyone who looks East Asian is Chinese. They could be native Filipinos (like people in Northern Luzon) or they could have some Chinese ancestry (not the same as being "Chinese") If they happen to look East Asian AND have a Chinese-Filipino surname, then it's safe to assume that they probably have some Chinese ancestry. I mean, if I meet someone who has Italian features and has an Italian surname, why couldn't I assume that they probably have some Italian ancestry? Stop being idiotic. You assume A LOT, like where the people in your pics are from, yet you don't know.

Of course, there are many Filipinos with Chinese-ancestry who don't have Chinese surnames, so the population is even greater than one can assume based off of surnames.
where did I say that is they had a chinese-filipino surname and looked chinese that they wouldnt be chinese??? I agreed with the part that charice and angel have chinese ancestry because of their surname

again not everyone with a chinese surname in the Philippines looks east asian...I have seen full filipinos from visayas who look more east asian then some people with chinese-filipino surnames. it turns out that those chinese-filipinos were mixed with tagalogs(and the negrito admixture from the tagalog side made the chinese-filipino look non-east asian)

Im not assuming everything btw....I actually know where the people from the pics I posted are from

the pic in the OP was from a youtube video image....the east asian looking filipina talked waray in one of her video
which gives away that she is eastern visayan

the pic of the tagalog woman was from another forum...the original poster claimed she was from manila

Last edited by ejay1; 12-02-2012 at 11:10 PM..

Old 12-02-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
I'm just correcting this false statement

There's no way that less than 2% of Filipinos have some Chinese decent. If it's based on a survey, like ejay says, then it would only include Filipinos who know they have Chinese ancestry and consider themselves Chinese-Filipinos. That's a small percent out of the total number of Filipinos who at least have some Chinese ancestry

And ejay contradicts himself because he says that that Chinese in the Philippines are "very much separate from the locals," yet he says that only 10% of that 1.6% are pure Chinese. If Chinese keep to themselves, then why is such a small percentage pure Chinese?
sometimes chinese married locals to get property/land...usually the offspring identified as sangley mestizo and kept a seperate identity from the locals...sangley mestizos today are usually grouped together with the chinese community in the Philippines

like I said you are very out of touch with Philippine history....and your very tagalog-centric
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia