U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 07:13 AM

208 posts, read 222,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I equally notice that Japanese girls are interested in Korean guys as well. Plus K-Pop is popular here in Japan. Many of my Japanese students seem to have a lot of interest in Korea.

However, when I lived in Korea, it certainly wasn't vice-versa. Korean pride is extremely strong, and part of that Korean pride is wrapped up in a deep hatred of Japan.
Koreans have problems with so much insecurity and things to “live up to”. Japanese-language television/radio broadcasts, publications, and caltual products were all prohibited in Korea untill 1988. During this ban, Koreans "copied" a lot of Japanese caltual products. A lot of Japanese animations were dubbed into Korean, stripped of all Japanese references, and then broadcast in Korea, without telling the audience of the true Japanese origin. Or else, it was common practice among the Korean film and tv productions to use Japanese scripts.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 07:27 AM

424 posts, read 534,151 times
Koreans look down on Southeast Asians, and Southeast Asians aren't fond of Korean tourists because of their boorish behavior overseas and because of Korea's importing of young Southeast Asian women as mail-order brides. This is tempered somewhat by the "Korean Wave" and the popularity of Korean pop culture.

In Japan there continues to be resentment against Zainichi (ethnic Koreans) and their political influence (real or imagined). There is also action among some groups about the ubiquity of Korean pop culture on the airwaves and in the country. It's among extremists, but I'll add that here in the US I participated in a local Japanese group and we received a letter (in Japanese) from an extremist group cautioning us about Zainichi who try to commandeer politics and organizations.

When I lived in Korea I thought the frenzy with which they viewed island disputes, body of water names, and historical controversies was excessive. (The anti-Japan hate when it came to islands and seas was far more excessive than lingering anger about occupation and comfort women). But when I'm in Japan I find the indifference to all of them equally alarming.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:08 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,324,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolitaryThrush View Post
Koreans look down on Southeast Asians, and Southeast Asians aren't fond of Korean tourists because of their boorish behavior overseas and because of Korea's importing of young Southeast Asian women as mail-order brides. This is tempered somewhat by the "Korean Wave" and the popularity of Korean pop culture.

In Japan there continues to be resentment against Zainichi (ethnic Koreans) and their political influence (real or imagined). There is also action among some groups about the ubiquity of Korean pop culture on the airwaves and in the country. It's among extremists, but I'll add that here in the US I participated in a local Japanese group and we received a letter (in Japanese) from an extremist group cautioning us about Zainichi who try to commandeer politics and organizations.

When I lived in Korea I thought the frenzy with which they viewed island disputes, body of water names, and historical controversies was excessive. (The anti-Japan hate when it came to islands and seas was far more excessive than lingering anger about occupation and comfort women). But when I'm in Japan I find the indifference to all of them equally alarming.
from what I heard...the reason why some people in SEA dislike korean tourists is due to lack of respect for the local culture and etiquete...

Old 12-01-2012, 08:44 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
In the decades following the Second World War the Japanese were by far the most hated nationality in Asia. Today, like in the West, it is mostly older people who lived under Japanese brutality who harbour feelings of resentment or hostility. This is the case in China, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Indonesia etc. My grandfather is an example. While it's not good to hate an entire nationality, I can understand how such a severe experience could give someone such strong feelings. In the land of my birth, Singapore, the Japanese killed many innocent civilians.

The younger generation has somewhat forgotten this...of course Japanese culture has been really popular. No sure about the r/ship between Korea and Japan but I can imagine if Koreans see the Japanese as imperialists the same way former colonies see the West.

Mainland China seems to have come under some flak from basically everybody in Asia. Vietnam and North Korea, once upon a time China's greatest allies, have cooled relations considerably, while the hotbeds of capitalism like Singapore and Taiwan seem to have benefited from a relationship, while all remaining wary.

If you include SE Asia, I'm not sure how strong a sense of SE Asian unity there is. Singapore looks towards the west the most out of these countries, Indonesia is a bit of a mess, Malaysia not that much better, Thailand seems pretty friendly with everyone. Historically, the Lao people have felt oppressed by the Thais. The Thais in turn have a very old animosity with the Burmese who tried to sack their capital several times. One can read about the conflict between the 'Indianized' kingdoms of SE Asia and the 'Sinicized' kingdoms.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
from what I heard...the reason why some people in SEA dislike korean tourists is due to lack of respect for the local culture and etiquete...
I imagine some Thais probably view Koreans the same way as they view Westerners. I'm not sure if 'farang' refers to all foreigners or non-Asians specifically, but many Thais have an ambiguous attitude towards them.

I've more noticed mainland Chinese tourists being boorish and really loud/lacking in manners. Whoever thinks Americans are rude should see a pack of them.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:19 AM

208 posts, read 222,511 times
Taiwan was colonized by Japan for 50 years, but I don't see Taiwanese people doing the hatemongering campaign against Japan. In fact, a recent poll shows that Taiwanese selects Japan as their favorite country.

Quote:
Similar to the previous two surveys, most Taiwanese continued to list Japan as their favorite foreign country or region, with 41 percent of respondents choosing Japan, 8 percent opting for the US, 8 percent saying China and 6 percent preferring the EU, while 37 percent offered no opinions.

As for countries that respondents “have close a connection with,” 75 percent said Japan, an increase of 13 percent from the previous survey, while 53 percent said Taiwan and Japan enjoy cordial relations, up 28 percent from the 2009 survey.

Fifty-four percent of respondents felt Japan was a country worthy of trust, up from 41 percent two years ago, while only 10 percent did not consider Japan trustworthy, down from 12 percent from two years ago, the survey showed.

On issues that could negatively affect Taiwanese-Japanese relations, only 1 percent of respondents were concerned about the Diaoyutai Islands (釣魚台) known as the Sendukus in Japan.
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2012/06/23/2003536064

Old 12-01-2012, 11:03 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,324,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In the decades following the Second World War the Japanese were by far the most hated nationality in Asia. Today, like in the West, it is mostly older people who lived under Japanese brutality who harbour feelings of resentment or hostility. This is the case in China, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Indonesia etc. My grandfather is an example. While it's not good to hate an entire nationality, I can understand how such a severe experience could give someone such strong feelings. In the land of my birth, Singapore, the Japanese killed many innocent civilians.

The younger generation has somewhat forgotten this...of course Japanese culture has been really popular. No sure about the r/ship between Korea and Japan but I can imagine if Koreans see the Japanese as imperialists the same way former colonies see the West.

Mainland China seems to have come under some flak from basically everybody in Asia. Vietnam and North Korea, once upon a time China's greatest allies, have cooled relations considerably, while the hotbeds of capitalism like Singapore and Taiwan seem to have benefited from a relationship, while all remaining wary.

If you include SE Asia, I'm not sure how strong a sense of SE Asian unity there is. Singapore looks towards the west the most out of these countries, Indonesia is a bit of a mess, Malaysia not that much better, Thailand seems pretty friendly with everyone. Historically, the Lao people have felt oppressed by the Thais. The Thais in turn have a very old animosity with the Burmese who tried to sack their capital several times. One can read about the conflict between the 'Indianized' kingdoms of SE Asia and the 'Sinicized' kingdoms.
dont forget the Cambodian-vietnamese fued...it even spilled over here to the USA...

Old 12-01-2012, 11:30 AM

369 posts, read 799,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsuleneo View Post
Taiwan was colonized by Japan for 50 years, but I don't see Taiwanese people doing the hatemongering campaign against Japan. In fact, a recent poll shows that Taiwanese selects Japan as their favorite country.
I'd say that Taiwan had overall benefited from Japanese colonial rule especially in terms of the economy. Not to mention too that Taiwan and Japan are both democratic countries who share a common adversary - China.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
I'd say that Taiwan had overall benefited from Japanese colonial rule especially in terms of the economy. Not to mention too that Taiwan and Japan are both democratic countries who share a common adversary - China.
Yes the Japanese influence is still strong there. Japanese restaurants are extremely common, and the Japanese built much of the infrastructure. In fact they developed Taiwan during phase 1 of it's industrialization. Taiwan's economic miracle of the late 20th century was also largely thanks to Japanese investment and know-how. The High-speed rail that zooms from Taipei to Kaoshiung in a mere 90 minutes (at 300 km/h) is reminiscent of the Shinkansen. Taiwan in many ways feels more like Japan than the PRC.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
dont forget the Cambodian-vietnamese fued...it even spilled over here to the USA...
Well I don't know much of the history, but as for ordinary people I don't THINK there's much of a fued. My Vietnamese friend is from a village close to the Cambodian border and she has positive views of the country. I mean the Vietnamese did overthrow the Khmer Rouge in 1979, so I'm sure MANY Cambodians are thankful for that. How many Cambodians today still think what Pol Pot did was good for the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or