U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,326,039 times
Reputation: 129

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsuleneo View Post
That old video just shows that they have changed up their image to suit Japanese pop scene.
The girls have been completely made-over to resemble colorful Kawaii idols.



80.8% of K-Pop's international sales come from Japan. K-pop artists rely on the Japanese music market greatly.
Without the Japanese music market, the K-pop industry will die.
lol cheerleader concept is kawaii idols?? oh brother

cheerleaders is an american thing.....

if you actually listen to their music...a good deal is influenced by american pop music from the early 80s

your so japan biased its not even funny...lol kpop idols like girls generation has been around for almost 6 years now(and have been active in japan for only 1 year)....the Japanese income is just a perk(girl generation have been in the Japan scene for 2 years now and they still dont speak japanese whenever they are invited to japanese shows), they survived before their japan debut...they will still survive even if they totally ignore japan....their real goal is to be known worldwide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2012, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Shaw.
2,226 posts, read 3,144,045 times
Reputation: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsuleneo View Post
BTW, Japan has the biggest music market in the world even though the population of Japan is much smaller than that of China.
I thought the largest music market was still the United States (it was by a significant margin only a few years ago). It's possible that we're comparing different things, though. About half of U.S. sales are digital, which makes Japan a bigger market for physical media. Also, a significant portion of Japanese music sales are for Karaoke licensing and royalties, and I'm not sure that counts in the lists I've seen.

Or my numbers are out of date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2012, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,326,039 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I thought the largest music market was still the United States (it was by a significant margin only a few years ago). It's possible that we're comparing different things, though. About half of U.S. sales are digital, which makes Japan a bigger market for physical media. Also, a significant portion of Japanese music sales are for Karaoke licensing and royalties, and I'm not sure that counts in the lists I've seen.

Or my numbers are out of date.
no you are correct...USA is #1 music market
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2012, 11:44 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times
Reputation: 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
lol japanese music scene is a joke amongst Asian demographics...
and japanese video games are losing out to western video games
japanese animation is the only thing taken seriously...but then its mostly kids who watch that in other asian countries
I still hear quite a bit of it in Taiwan and it's still decently big in parts of the Asian community in Asia. Korean, Japanese, Mandopop (regardless of its nation of origin), and to some degree Cantopop are the only East Asian music scenes that seem to exert considerable influence well outside of their home territories. Do you disagree with this?

Japanese video games are losing market share to western video games, but it's still a very large market and by far the largest video game producer in East Asia.

Japanese animation is pretty big, that's pretty much it. I think all things taken together Japan is probably still currently ahead as a cultural exporter compared to South Korea, but this might change in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2012, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,326,039 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I still hear quite a bit of it in Taiwan and it's still decently big in parts of the Asian community in Asia. Korean, Japanese, Mandopop (regardless of its nation of origin), and to some degree Cantopop are the only East Asian music scenes that seem to exert considerable influence well outside of their home territories. Do you disagree with this?

Japanese video games are losing market share to western video games, but it's still a very large market and by far the largest video game producer in East Asia.

Japanese animation is pretty big, that's pretty much it. I think all things taken together Japan is probably still currently ahead as a cultural exporter compared to South Korea, but this might change in the near future.

i partially agree with the first part

considering many asian countries are of chinese heritage...it would make sense why mandopop/cantopop would have outside influence from china

Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, and Indonesia

korean pop does have a huge following outside of korea....in most asian countries

japanese pop ..outside of Taiwan does not have a following
go to thailand or philippines and ask them to name any jpop idol...more then likely they wouldnt know any
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2012, 12:09 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times
Reputation: 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
i partially agree with the first part

considering many asian countries are of chinese heritage...it would make sense why mandopop/cantopop would have outside influence from china

Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, and Indonesia

korean pop does have a huge following outside of korea....in most asian countries

japanese pop ..outside of Taiwan does not have a following
go to thailand or philippines and ask them to name any jpop idol...more then likely they wouldnt know any
A lot of jpop actually uses anime as its carrier (like all east asian nations, pretty much every form of popular entertainment is as "synergized" as possible), so I'd be surprised if there aren't a good number of people who know the songs but don't necessarily recognize the artist or pictures of the artist who sang them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2012, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,326,039 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
A lot of jpop actually uses anime as its carrier (like all east asian nations, pretty much every form of popular entertainment is as "synergized" as possible), so I'd be surprised if there aren't a good number of people who know the songs but don't necessarily recognize the artist or pictures of the artist who sang them.
kids watching the anime wouldnt care about the jpop idols singing the theme song..to them its just a cartoon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2012, 12:26 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times
Reputation: 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
kids watching the anime wouldnt care about the jpop idols singing the theme song..to them its just a cartoon
Fine to me, but they'll still know the music. That's the whole point. Also, there's a pretty large segment of people who watch anime that are not kids.

Anyhow, yea, Korea has a strong pop music scene. That's to be weighed against a for the most part weaker Japanese one. The way I think it goes is music and melodrama overall goes to Korea, video games, animation/cartoons, and pornography goes to Japan. There's overlaps all over the place. Japan has been the stronger exporter for a longer time, but Korea has in recent years become a major cultural exporter to rival Japan in East Asia (not as much in much of the rest of the world though). I think what might be interesting is how Korea's independent music scene will fare in the years to come--that is, if there would be a rich countercultural backlash against the glossy pop being made which would produce far more interesting music. Definitely "underground" or experimental music from Japan has been incredibly rich and acclaimed, but Korea so far hasn't quite produced as much in notables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2012, 12:55 PM
 
297 posts, read 390,968 times
Reputation: 56
Well all indians consider one another sexy beasts lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2012, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Charlotte North Carolina
1,527 posts, read 2,326,039 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishabad View Post
Well all indians consider one another sexy beasts lol
well since your all the same it wouldnt be that hard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top