U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 04:47 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,974,341 times

Advertisements

The following article has a foreword w/ an offensive word. Otherwise, the article was interesting.

North Korean Girls: South Korean Netizens Debate Their Beauty - koreaBANG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 06:26 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,379,050 times
They all have very nice teeth. I guess North Korean diet and dentistry can't be all that bad. Aside from that, they all look like the same girl.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:18 PM

424 posts, read 535,082 times
There's definitely some embarrassment there, as North Korean women today resemble the South Korean women of two generations ago, before cosmetic surgery was a requirement. It reminds Korean netizens of a less-glamorous time in their history, a time they don't like to acknowledge . . . hell, netizens talk that way about rural South Koreans, too.

I think many of the women in that gallery are quite beautiful, moreso than many of the bland, plastic-looking models down south, with noses and bustlines artificially exaggerated beyond belief.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:01 PM

392 posts, read 803,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolitaryThrush View Post
There's definitely some embarrassment there, as North Korean women today resemble the South Korean women of two generations ago, before cosmetic surgery was a requirement. It reminds Korean netizens of a less-glamorous time in their history, a time they don't like to acknowledge . . . hell, netizens talk that way about rural South Koreans, too.

I think many of the women in that gallery are quite beautiful, moreso than many of the bland, plastic-looking models down south, with noses and bustlines artificially exaggerated beyond belief.
I find pictures of North Korean people engrossing. I've read a lot about the country, its history, the politics, and so forth, but what perpetually fascinates me are the common people of NK. They are just like you and me, except stuck in North Korea. What they must know and do to survive in that country is quite interesting. Since the country lacks any human rights and civil liberties, I wonder what day to day life for both the elite and non-elite really is. I imagine the pictures in that link* are of women mostly from Pyongyang, so they are elite. This raises the question, how much do elite North Koreans know of the foreign world enough to follow world trends, if at all? I understand that many South Korean soap operas are illegally brought in from China; my guess is they don't know a lot. I doubt the girl wearing the Prada in the pictures understands how valuable it is, or does she?!

* I believe those pictures were taken from this man's photo diary: North Korea DPRK

Last edited by Aerio; 12-03-2012 at 11:27 PM..

Old 12-03-2012, 11:07 PM

22,222 posts, read 23,744,506 times
Quote:

They could totally test this by going through street photos of South Korea from two generations back.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:13 AM

376 posts, read 556,362 times
Quote:

I just finished working for 10 months in Seoul less than 1 year ago and also have worked in China & Mongolia. When I looked at those photos, some of the ladies looked similar to the girls I saw in Seoul, a couple looked more Chinese and 1 looked more Mongolian.

The prevalence of plastic surgery in Seoul is unbelievable. Those girls work harder at looking beautiful than women anywhere I've ever been and I've lived and worked all over the world. At least the results of their efforts are easy to see and it really is a visual stimulation festival in Seoul as a male perspective. My comment was before that there are a higher % of 7+ girls in Seoul than anywhere I've been but Moscow has a higher % of above 9. Happy to be a hetero male.

My guess is that there would be plenty of males from other countries interested in those N. Korean females if N. Korea was more open.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:39 AM

424 posts, read 535,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
They could totally test this by going through street photos of South Korea from two generations back.
I could look at old street photos of South Korea all day long.

- Seoul in the 60s and 70s: bigmount님의 블로그
- In and around Seoul in the 50s and 60s: 1958 - 1966 Korea - a set on Flickr
- Seoul and Chungcheongbuk-do in the 70s: Korea: 1975~1979 - Thomas Lee Coyner (SeoulMan)'s Photos
- Throughout Korea, 1966: Korea in 1966 - a set on Flickr
- Jeollanam-do: Old Jeollanam-do - a set on Flickr

Old 12-04-2012, 07:47 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,879,662 times
Quote:
I could look at old street photos of South Korea all day long.

- Seoul in the 60s and 70s: bigmount님의 블로그
- In and around Seoul in the 50s and 60s: 1958 - 1966 Korea - a set on Flickr
- Seoul and Chungcheongbuk-do in the 70s: Korea: 1975~1979 - Thomas Lee Coyner (SeoulMan)'s Photos
- Throughout Korea, 1966: Korea in 1966 - a set on Flickr
- Jeollanam-do: Old Jeollanam-do - a set on Flickr

Some parts (small parts) of the city are still like you adore. I will take moden Seoul however.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:10 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,774,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tiger View Post
My guess is that there would be plenty of males from other countries interested in those N. Korean females if N. Korea was more open.
south korean men are prolific sex travellers. banned from marrying women in several countries, cambodia for example. rest assured, if the north opened up south korean guys would be the dominant group trying to get the girls

Old 12-04-2012, 11:59 PM

2,517 posts, read 2,284,510 times
They look a lot more Chinese then most of the South Koreans I see and know beyond the survey which is just as prelavent in most privilaged nations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or