U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 09:58 PM

2,761 posts, read 1,103,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Satisfied? Make more Chinese friends if you can't understand what Chinese people feel about Taiwanese accent.
No thanks. I imagine many of those "opinions" are pushed by adolescent Chinese boys with no girlfriends. Haha!

Quote:
No offence but 娘娘腔 is the typical adjective that Chinese people how to describe Taiwanese accent.
Why would I be offended by that? I think the thousands of missled aimed at Taiwan by the Chinese is offensive. I think China's petty politics regarding Taiwan on the international stage is offensive.

I don't think Chinese "opinions" re Taiwan Mandarin are offensive. Silly. But, not offensive.

Anyway, I think that's all nonsense. And I think its a lot of Chinese chauvanism toward Taiwan. The Chinese like to belittle Taiwan and remind Taiwan how much bigger China is.

But, whatever. If you and many Chinese believe that Taiwanese Mandarin sounds feminine, that's your perogative.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:42 PM

1,424 posts, read 735,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
No thanks. I imagine many of those "opinions" are pushed by adolescent Chinese boys with no girlfriends. Haha!

Why would I be offended by that? I think the thousands of missled aimed at Taiwan by the Chinese is offensive. I think China's petty politics regarding Taiwan on the international stage is offensive.

I don't think Chinese "opinions" re Taiwan Mandarin are offensive. Silly. But, not offensive.

Anyway, I think that's all nonsense. And I think its a lot of Chinese chauvanism toward Taiwan. The Chinese like to belittle Taiwan and remind Taiwan how much bigger China is.

But, whatever. If you and many Chinese believe that Taiwanese Mandarin sounds feminine, that's your perogative.
You overreacted on the comment of 娘娘腔.
It is true that many features found among females' speech in mainland China are also found among Taiwanese males. It is a linguistic phenomenon with historic reasons (which are unclear). Nothing wrong about it.

In mainland China, certain dialects sound more feminine than others too, such as Suzhou dialect. And people in China generally agree.

Last edited by yueng-ling; 08-23-2015 at 11:52 PM..

Old 08-24-2015, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
You overreacted on the comment of 娘娘腔.
I don't think so. I specifically stated that I do not care and am not offended by that opinion. I went on to explain the kind of things that do offend me.

My only reaction to the assertion that Taiwanese Mandarin sounds feminine is disagreement. I just don't hear that. Not denying your right to hold that opinion, though. After all, I'm not the CCP!

Old 08-24-2015, 03:15 AM

15 posts, read 11,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Japanese is by far the nicest-sounding Asian language to my Western ears.

I'd like to add that, aside from the language having a nice sound (with the bonus that it is easy to pronounce), Japanese speakers tend to speak more quietly than many other Asians, so my ears don't hurt.
I am the same as you. I prefer Japanese too

Old 08-24-2015, 04:34 AM

919 posts, read 603,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
My only reaction to the assertion that Taiwanese Mandarin sounds feminine is disagreement. I just don't hear that.
You can decide how Taiwanese accent sounds just like you can decide who are needed to be killed

Old 08-24-2015, 05:28 AM

Quote:
You can decide how Taiwanese accent sounds just like you can decide who are needed to be killed
Don't try to be clever. You look instead ridiculous.

Of course I can have an opinion on how I think Taiwanese Mandarin sounds.

Your other comment leads me to believe that English is not your first language, as you don't seem to understand very well. So, I'll just leave it at that. Not your fault.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:48 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,126,284 times
Quote:
No offence but 娘娘腔 is the typical adjective that Chinese people how to describe Taiwanese accent.
Typical chauvinism and laughably narrow-minded tbh.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:43 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Regarding Taiwan vs China mandarin:

I find the Chinese mandarin more "formal" sounding, because it really articulates every syllable very clearly; on the other hand, Taiwanese mandarin is more casual, like what you use on entertainment news.

I am curious: is that a fixed standard pronunciation for Taiwanese mandarin? Chinese Mandarin has a strict standard (there are different levels of exams for that), so you would have to pronounce the words in the correct way- and there is only ONE correct way for pronounce every word. For example, if you pronounce zh, ch, sh as z, c, s, you fail and that's simply bad, uneducated mandarin. If you pronounce Ling as "Lin", wrong again.

I notice that most Taiwanese don't pronounce zh, ch, sh, so I guess they have different standards.

Additionally, I want to add that Beijing dialect is NOT mandarin. They are pretty different. If one speaks good standard mandarin, you will not be able to guess where he is from, but most Beijing people speak with a typical Beijing accent.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:33 PM

1,424 posts, read 735,908 times
^ Yes. Young people in bigger cities of north China usually speak quite standard Mandarin, but that does not include Beijing and northeastern cities. People in Beijing, Harbin, Shenyang etc. usually have strong accents when they speak Mandarin.

That being said, they are all easy to understand.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:49 PM

919 posts, read 603,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Typical chauvinism and laughably narrow-minded tbh.
I believe their comments have nothing to do with what you describe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS_hJMNaxlk

Do you feel the first greeting, Dajia hao, in this video has very strong Taiwan accent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or