U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 02:11 PM

6,776 posts, read 5,126,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
I believe their comments have nothing to do with what you describe.
The idea of man has to be "manly" instead of "sissy" is typical chauvinism and is ****ing narrow-minded. I thought that was clear.

Those comments have everything to do with what I described.

Quote:
Do you feel the first greeting, Dajia hao, in this video has very strong Taiwan accent?
Yes.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:01 PM

919 posts, read 603,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
The idea of man has to be "manly" instead of "sissy" is typical chauvinism and is ****ing narrow-minded. I thought that was clear.
What I introduced was a typical adjective describing Taiwanese accent by Mainlanders. I didn't say man should be manly or sissy, did I? It is clear now that you have misread something.

Quote:
Yes.
How to describe Taiwan accent then?

Old 08-29-2015, 08:01 AM

217 posts, read 235,561 times
I think the kartvellian/Caucasian languages are beautiful especially Georgian

Old 08-30-2015, 04:39 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,126,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
What I introduced was a typical adjective describing Taiwanese accent by Mainlanders. I didn't say man should be manly or sissy, did I? It is clear now that you have misread something.
You obviously didn't get my point at all.

I meant the notion of how Taiwanese accent is more "娘娘腔" is bigoted and narrow-minded. I thought that was clear.

Quote:
How to describe Taiwan accent then?
That it's better.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:14 PM

919 posts, read 603,270 times
Quote:
The idea of man has to be "manly" instead of "sissy" is typical chauvinism and is ****ing narrow-minded.
No one but you said The idea of man has to be "manly" instead of "sissy". I don't get your point.

Quote:
That it's better.
OK.

I don't think one is better than the other.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:16 AM

11,436 posts, read 6,410,146 times
For guys I would say it's Korean, for girls Thai is the nicest sounding

Old 09-06-2015, 07:16 AM

17 posts, read 16,471 times
I think that Japanese sounds the best to me. I just stop and stare whenever somebody speaks Japanese

Old 11-09-2015, 08:15 PM
nwu

6 posts, read 5,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Many people can distinguish Taiwanese Mandarin from Chinese Mandarin.

I don't believe that you've heard Chinese people make the above statement. Its ridiculous. In 30 years of dealing with Chinese, Taiwanese, and discussing language, I've never heard a single person say this until now.

You have some axe to grind? Odd way of going about it.
Sorry, this is an outdated post, but I was perusing this thread and I had to interject here. It is very much true that Chinese people perceive the Taiwanese way of speaking as very cute or feminine. I'm a Chinese-American and I can confirm this. My own parents, from mainland China, often mock the Taiwanese tv shows because of their very overtly "cute" way of talking. Taiwanese tv hosts often talk with cute mannerisms and gestures, its less about words sometimes than it is about the way they execute it. Second anecdote: When I was in college I conversed with some Chinese international students from the mainland. Right now in China, the whole education system is very strict in getting all kids to learn the traditional standardized mandarin. I, a son of southern Chinese immigrants, said some things in Chinese. The girls giggled and said I sounded like a cute boy and asked if I was from Taiwan. I said no, my parents are from the southern region of China.

Chinese southern accents and Taiwanese accents have a lot in common, which is why some of the Chinese international students thought I was from Taiwan. The linguistic thing they have in common is that they both de-retroflex the consonants zh, ch, sh, in Mandarin. The word zhou1 is pronounced as zou1. z, c, s, zh, ch, sh are pronounced differently, but southern Chinese and Taiwanese people tend to pronounce them as the same.

The thing with the Chinese southern accent is that it is dying in the sense that like I mentioned earlier China has reformed and made it clear that all kids, northerner or southerner, must adhere to strict mandarin, ie you can no longer willy-nilly fuse the pronunciations of retroflexives. The college international students I talked to were all part of South in China, yet they spoke the "correct" form of mandarin compared to my parents. They did not have the awful sounding tongue rolling accent that northern Chinese people do, but nevertheless they easily made out that my Chinese was not the standardized mandarin that they had to learn in school. My parents told me back then when they were taught mandarin, the strict adherence to the retroflexive was not there, hence them speaking the way they do today.

As far as Taiwanese people right now, I'm not entirely sure their situation over there. I don't know if the younger generation over there has to now learn the correct form of standard mandarin like they do in the mainland. But retroflexive aside, Taiwanese have many words and phrases that we do not use and again they have mannerisms in their way of talk or perhaps how they say things that a lot of mainlanders still deem as "cute."

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to confirm what others are saying on here. Although not the perception of everyone, this stereotype does indeed exist.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:31 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,390,242 times
Japanese. Less nasal and tonal than Chinese. It has lots of beautiful words like "murasaki." Is there a more beautiful way to say "purple"? I don't think so!

Old 11-10-2015, 10:06 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,450,597 times
Malay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yPWo5Mpmvs

Last edited by justanokie; 11-10-2015 at 11:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or