U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 05:00 PM

17 posts, read 19,922 times

Advertisements

Interesting threat. Obviously, there is no right or wrong answers, just depends on personal preference. Westerners almost certainly wold have a different perception than Asians on this. Asians living in the region would generally have a much easier time identifying the different Asian languages or dialects or even accents within the same language or dialect. For example, native Cantonese speakers can tell the difference between Hong Kong accent vs. say Guangzhou accent. Mandarin spoken by mainland, Taiwan and Singapore all sound very different. Even Putonghua spoken within various regions in mainland China are pretty distinguishable. The general perception is that (among some of the major languages), Japanese and Taiwan style Mandarin are known to be on the softer side (cute, some would even say feminine), whereas as something like Beijing accent Mandarin or to some extent Korean are seen to be on the harsher (some would say masculine) side. (Note: not meaning to be sexist or discriminating, apologize to those offended). One of my best friends who is Japanese once told me the most pleasant language is Ningbo dialect (I've never heard the sound of it, so not sure). Anyway, the "in" language (aside from the practical aspect of English and increasingly Mandarin) has been Korean due to the popularity of the Korean Wave.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:49 AM

15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Malay.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:59 AM

955 posts, read 1,544,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoee View Post
Chinese sounds great for me!
Well, maybe only when it's spoken by actors/actresses and anchors.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:59 AM

9 posts, read 5,978 times
I like Mandarin but my favorite Asian tongue might be Burmese. I do not think many have chosen that and I do not speak it by myself, but I mostly love it when it is spoken and I hear it.
I do not really like Korean thaat much, I only hear Kim and Park as surnames in the vast majority of cases I hear Korean names. This does not mean it cannot be beautiful, however.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:20 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,440,140 times
Burmese might have the most alien-looking orthography of any modern language. I've never really heard it being spoken but I can only imagine it sounds as strange as it looks.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:37 AM

93 posts, read 127,506 times
This kind of topic is pointless because people unconsciously will perceive how beautiful Asian languages are based mostly on how wealthy a particular Asian country is. If sub Sahara Africa is a wealthy place; people will tell you how nice their languages are. There is a reason why people have the perception that beautiful and rich people's **** doesn't stink

Old 08-05-2015, 05:50 PM

148 posts, read 103,833 times
Ibaloi, Japanese, Kankanaey...they have nice flow

Old 08-09-2015, 11:53 AM

1,170 posts, read 794,028 times
Thai is my favourite

Old 08-11-2015, 11:34 PM

114 posts, read 57,884 times
I have listened to some Indians speaking their language which sounded like a big heap of steel utensils are falling down. I believe that was one of the south Indian languages like Telugu. They also seem to speak too fast, or may be that's what I felt. Not sure if I have heard any really sweet sounding Asian language. Chinese language has a particular accent which I somehow tend to hate. Arab is one of the interesting language to listen to.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:34 AM

2,761 posts, read 1,100,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigben_usa View Post
The general perception is that ... Taiwan style Mandarin [is] known to be on the softer side (cute, some would even say feminine), whereas as something like Beijing accent Mandarin ...[is] seen to be on the harsher (some would say masculine) side.
Hmmm...

I've never heard that.

I've always very much enjoyed hearing girls/women from Beijing speak Mandarin, as I find it extremely pleasant to the ear.

In contrast, I find Beijing Mandarin as spoken by men grating, rather than either masculine or feminine.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or