U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can North Korea and South Korea merge?
Yes 35 62.50%
No 21 37.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 09:29 PM

22,119 posts, read 23,642,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Park Geun-hye wrote an editorial for Foreign Policy about her policy of Trustpolitik. I'd start there for the current SK gov't's stance.

But in general, the ROK's stance has been one of reassurance--no absorption; reconciliation first. Unification is more of a long-term goal.

And no, NK has no technology to give SK (except giant statue technology). The advantages will be from a reduction in security tensions.

That's the majority though. The Ministry of Unification extensively studied Germany and Israel for learning how to incorporate people of former Communist nations. But NK is so far from what E. Germany and the USSR were. It'll be much more costly to reunify.
Yea, I'd be surprised if North Korea has any technology that South Korean would not be able tonreproduce or make better in short time.

South Korea seems to me like it'd be a lot more pragmatic and much less about fraternity and granting liberty than West Germany was with East Germany. Wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't lead to some minor issues with exploitation of potential cheap labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 09:57 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,813,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm pretty much in the same line of thought. North Korea, were unification to happen under the aegis of the South Korean government, will have to be governed under a very different set of laws than the rest of Korea. The issue would be having an almost second-class citizen sort of thing for North Korea for quite a while before North Korea would even approach a real integration into a united Korea. It seems like the symbolic value and increased stability would go a long ways towards a greater long term prosperity for South Koreans, but who knows.

Germany has been able to manage the unification quite well despite so many reports of the cost of reunification (though different in many ways from a Korean unification). There are probably a lot of posters here who can give a much more detailed account, but it seems like Germany with its unification has still ended up as an amazingly productive and powerful country after the costs of unification and might very well have become better off from all of this. It seems to me that the sooner it's done the better because the disparity would only become worse as South Korea continues to rise and North Korea continues to be isolated.
I personally don't think Germany is a good model for reunification for South Korea. I think they are wasting their time studying the German experience. This may be a bit far fetched but I think Korean unification will have more in common with South Africa rather than Germany. When South Africa dismantled Apartheid, they more or less unified a developed country with a group of developing countries (the Bantustans). North Korea has far more in common economically and quality of life wise with the Bantustans rather than with East Germany. South Koreans will probably be able to get away with instituting apartheid policies in the beginning since the stated goal of those apartheid like policies will be for eventual reunification rather than continued marginalization of certain groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or