U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 06:17 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merton View Post
Well, I visited Vietnam a few times and liked it so much that now I live here. I really like the core Buddhist/Confucian cultural attitudes.

Thailand has a wonderful culture, but too aggressive a sex trade (at least in the tourist areas) for my taste. I don't see anything wrong with near-legal prostitution, don't misunderstand. They just need to civilize it.

The Philippines are similar, and too much ****-fighting, something I do think is wrong. (You see some through all of SE Asia).

I would not live in a Muslim country, even a relatively liberal one like Malaysia. Gays are tolerated but at any time some official can arbitrarily make accusations, and they can execute you. Besides, I don't like being awoken at daybreak every day being called to prayer.

Singapore, to me, is just too clean and boring. I love the motorcycle culture of Vietnam, dangerous though it is. I love the coffee shops and the flashing lights and the traffic and the canals and rivers and the jumbled streets and all that confusion.

The northern Asian countries are too expensive to retire to, and they don't particularly want you. In fact they are too expensive to visit, except on TV.

I have thought about living in Cambodia, but it would mean learning another language (one can get by with just English in any major city, but if one really wants to fit in one needs to speak at least some of the local language). Still, Cambodia is an option if the Vietnamese ever get arbitrary about visas.
I personally think I'd still feel more comfortable in 'clean and boring' S'pore than Vietnam, which is just too hectic, and Vietnam would get boring too. There's less variety in VN, Singapore is more multicultural, Vietnamese food is great but you can get any kind of food in Singapore. Singapore is a lot more global and international, but maybe you prefer the more exotic side of Asia.

If I were to live anywhere in Vietnam it would be Hoi An, though. I could see myself living in Hoi An. I found HCMC sort of boring tbh.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:11 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,061,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merton View Post
I met a guy from Malaysia once in Bangkok, and he told me much the same as you tell me. Still, I have also read of executions (in the Economist), so I think they may be rare but it can happen according to Malaysian law.
Executions (by hanging) for firearms and drugs smuggling, and murder only, not homosexuality. The most one could be punished for sodomy are floggings and jail terms, which can amount up to a decade or two, depending on the circumstances. For people with homosexual tendencies, one may be sent to rehabs if caught (especially for Muslims). But gays here do learn the ways to hide their sexuality from the masses, so it's rarely an issue unless one decides to challenge the social norms and display overtly gay character and affection in public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah I heard it in Phuket. Northern Malaysia used to be part of Thailand too.
Northern Malaysia was invaded by Thailand in the 18th/19th century, but the Siamese never really consolidated their rule and influence there. The Brits signed an agreement with the Siamese and this region was given to the Brits, which later joined with other Malay states in the Peninsula to form Malaya (and later Malaysia). Even then, the deep south of Thailand used to be an independent Malay kingdom, which was annexed by Siam in the 18th century.

Last edited by kyh; 12-15-2012 at 11:58 AM..

Old 12-15-2012, 11:17 AM

336 posts, read 282,314 times
Thanks for the information.

I think I will stay in Vietnam. Homosexuality and homosexual acts are not illegal here, just underage and prostitution and public indecency. Nor does the general public seem to give a hoot.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Executions (by hanging) for firearms and drugs smuggling, and murder only, not homosexuality. The most one could be punished for sodomy are floggings and jail terms, which can amount up to a decade or two, depending on the circumstances. For people with homosexual tendencies, one may be sent to rehabs if caught (especially for Muslims). But gays here do learn the ways to hide their sexuality from the masses, so it's rarely an issue unless one decides to challenge the social norms and display overtly gay character and affection in public.

Northern Malaysia was invaded by Thailand in the 18th/19th century, but the Siamese never really consolidated their rule and influence there. The Brits signed an agreement with the Siamese and this region was given to the Brits, which later joined with other Malay states in the Peninsula to form Malaya (and later Malaysia). Even then, the deep south of Thailand used to be an independent Malay kingdom, which was annexed by Siam in the 18th century.
Southern Thailand is culturally Malay so that would make sense.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:12 PM
kyh

Quote:
Southern Thailand is culturally Malay so that would make sense.
Hence the separatist issue. But I guess religion plays a much more bigger role than ethnic in the conflict - Muslims have never wanted to live under the rule and sovereignty of other religions.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Hence the separatist issue. But I guess religion plays a much more bigger role than ethnic in the conflict - Muslims have never wanted to live under the rule and sovereignty of other religions.
Yes, Islam is a political religion and I believe the Qu'ran basically advocates Islamic rulership. Unless Muslims can tolerant living under a non-Islamic government it doesn't really work. Any nation with a Muslim majority will always be at risk of being dominated by the more fervent Muslims. Malaysia could well be at risk of becoming like some of those Middle Eastern states.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:51 PM
kyh

Quote:
Yes, Islam is a political religion and I believe the Qu'ran basically advocates Islamic rulership. Unless Muslims can tolerant living under a non-Islamic government it doesn't really work. Any nation with a Muslim majority will always be at risk of being dominated by the more fervent Muslims. Malaysia could well be at risk of becoming like some of those Middle Eastern states.
We have a long-standing Islamist party whose ultimate goal is to establish an Islamic state with laws based on the Shari'a. However, it has significantly toned down its extremist views in recent years in their attempt to woo the support of the non-Muslim population. Conversely, the supposedly liberal ruling party has been playing the religion trump card in their election campaigns since their loss of 2/3-majority seats in the parliament in the last elections. In Malaysia, race and religion are very useful political tools.

I guess if Christianity were to remain a major political force as it was in the Middle Ages, I can foresee a lot more conflicts in regions where it is a minority or with no clear majority, similar to the Islamic political struggles today.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
We have a long-standing Islamist party whose ultimate goal is to establish an Islamic state with laws based on the Shari'a. However, it has significantly toned down its extremist views in recent years in their attempt to woo the support of the non-Muslim population. Conversely, the supposedly liberal ruling party has been playing the religion trump card in their election campaigns since their loss of 2/3-majority seats in the parliament in the last elections. In Malaysia, race and religion are very useful political tools.

I guess if Christianity were to remain a major political force as it was in the Middle Ages, I can foresee a lot more conflicts in regions where it is a minority or with no clear majority, similar to the Islamic political struggles today.
That's it, the politicos just use it as a tool to exploit the masses. I bet religious leaders and leaders of the 'religious right' whether in the US or Saudi Arabia care more for earthly power. I also don't like how Malaysia has the policy of actively favouring Malays, it causes a more divided country.

There are some flashpoints between Christians and Muslims today...I think Nigeria, Sudan and the Philippines are good examples. Even in mostly secular Europe, the Christian-based societies don't always get along with Muslim immigrants. Christianity has moved passed the Middle Ages in Europe while Islam seems just as radical if not moreso than it was then.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:19 PM
kyh

Quote:
There are some flashpoints between Christians and Muslims today...I think Nigeria, Sudan and the Philippines are good examples. Even in mostly secular Europe, the Christian-based societies don't always get along with Muslim immigrants. Christianity has moved passed the Middle Ages in Europe while Islam seems just as radical if not moreso than it was then.
If Christians were as political and radical as their co-religionists in the Middle Ages and Inquisition periods, imagine how dark our world would be today... A mock on Jesus would herald a death threat or a capital punishment; skipping church services or renouncing the church - death sentences; etc. The Enlightenment Age basically freed Christians from these radical thinkings - just what the Muslim world needs today.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
If Christians were as political and radical as their co-religionists in the Middle Ages and Inquisition periods, imagine how dark our world would be today... A mock on Jesus would herald a death threat or a capital punishment; skipping church services or renouncing the church - death sentences; etc. The Enlightenment Age basically freed Christians from these radical thinkings - just what the Muslim world needs today.
Yes, religious mania basically makes you hate anyone who is 'against God' - you can twist things so any enemy of YOU is an enemy of GOD and thus deserving of punishment. Think of the burning of heretics, used by evil men and women for their own gains. I don't doubt power hungry and heartless politicians could do the same today, the division in America is diabolical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or