U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 01:02 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,412,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
My friend (he was Malaysian, but has since become an Aussie national) was stationed in Jayapura, Indonesian Papua by his firm for a few months. Life there was pretty laid back, with a mix of urban life and some island wilderness a stone's throw away.
I wonder how the situation is there? About time the Indonesians gave the island back to the Papuans, so the whole island could be one nation.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:32 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,062,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I wonder how the situation is there? About time the Indonesians gave the island back to the Papuans, so the whole island could be one nation.
Quite ok, me thinks. He told me that the border with PNG was dangerous though (about 20 mins from Jayapura).

Regarding unification, that would be kinda impossible. Indonesia is not willing to surrender any part of its territories (as seen in the East Timor conflict and massacre, and its crackdown on Maluku and Aceh separatist movements). If Papua is to be independent, then West Timor should be given the green light to secede too. Having said that, West Timor and East Timor have some cultural and linguistic as well as historical differences. That would complicate matters.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:45 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,412,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Quite ok, me thinks. He told me that the border with PNG was dangerous though (about 20 mins from Jayapura).

Regarding unification, that would be kinda impossible. Indonesia is not willing to surrender any part of its territories (as seen in the East Timor conflict and massacre, and its crackdown on Maluku and Aceh separatist movements). If Papua is to be independent, then West Timor should be given the green light to secede too. Having said that, West Timor and East Timor have some cultural and linguistic as well as historical differences. That would complicate matters.
Well they probably thought East Timor was hopeless, so you never know. Probably not in the near future though, Irian Jaya is very lucrative. PNG itself is under a bit of threat from mining companies.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:25 AM

7,495 posts, read 9,767,491 times
I'd be a little weary about visiting them due to the human trafficking rates, poverty rates and the subservient roles of women. Even as a tourist and though visiting would be no doubt interesting, I'm a little weary about all of these issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or