U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 08:44 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times

Advertisements

I know obesity/overweight rates are rising, but I've always wondered, quite legitimately, how Singaporeans and Malaysians are generally so slim when:

(a) delicious and very oily Hawker food is so widely available, relatively cheaply. If I lived there i'd eat out more and cook less than here. It's also so easy to get too.

(b) it's so hot and humid to exercise, yet I still see people exercising which is good I guess. Maybe they just sweat it out? lol

These are well off countries, especially Singapore, so its not like Cambodia or something. Maybe they also walk a lot, but walking doesn't burn that much calories.

Funnily enough a lot of western food like sandwiches and salads seems healthier than Asian food, yet the 'Western diet' is sometimes synonymous with unhealthy junk food.

As I said this might be changing, though. Maybe also portions are small, I mean a $3 chicken rice or mee goreng may be greasy, but I'm a small eater and it doesn't satisfy alone. I generally need a $2 ice kacang or at least a teh tarik to finish off the meal lol.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:46 PM

55,644 posts, read 74,585,953 times
too hot to eat heavy.
signed
a former singapore resident.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 12-13-2012 at 09:04 PM..

Old 12-13-2012, 09:05 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,415,619 times
Portions are small. If I have the time, I shall sort out the photos I took of the food I ate there this past summer.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:34 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,336,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
too hot to eat heavy.
signed
When I was scanning thread titles and saw this thread, that is the first thought I had too. That may also apply to many countries that are closer to the equator.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:36 PM

The plate on the right contained plain riceroll with chopped up scallions. The bowl on the left was laksa.
http://oi47.tinypic.com/t889xc.jpg

This plate of vermicelli was just ok. But I think the locals eat 5 times a day, so I may be wrong.
http://oi48.tinypic.com/29vadl.jpg

Soursop is plenty and available all year round. This could be their secret weapon to keep slim.
http://oi50.tinypic.com/20ae6br.jpg

Old 12-13-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
The plate on the right contained plain riceroll with chopped up scallions. The bowl on the left was laksa.
http://oi47.tinypic.com/t889xc.jpg

This plate of vermicelli was just ok. But I think the locals eat 5 times a day, so I may be wrong.

Soursop is plenty and available all year round. This could be their secret weapon to keep slim.
http://oi50.tinypic.com/20ae6br.jpg
There are a lot of tasty low-fat desserts, as long as you don't add coconut milk/milk/cream/ice icream. Pulut hitam, almond jelly, cendol and of course ice kachang, and of course the array of tropical fruits.

The second looks like 'Singapore fried noodles' which I was told didn't exist in Singapore. I haven't seen it in Singapore that I can recall, or maybe i have but I don't know the name. What was the second one called?

Old 12-14-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
I jotted that down. It was fried "vermicelli" (not noodle) from the local menu at Suntec Guild House. I have not had the same dish in Canada. However, our portion here in North America can feed 2 or 3 diners.
Oh, the breakfast "coconut rice with cucumber etc" in Malaysia is even tinier portion-wise.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:42 AM

350 posts, read 588,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
too hot to eat heavy.
signed
I highly doubt most people who live in hot climates all year round would say it's too hot to eat heavy. It's not like they are walking around all day thinking "oh my god I can't believe how hot it is here. Just like yesterday was and the day before that and probably tomorrow too". Maybe someone who has experienced living in both hot and cold climates would think something like that. Otherwise for people who have lived in a hot climate all their lives it just is what it is. Meals are generally eaten indoors so it doesn't matter how hot it is outside. Exercising outside takes place in the cooler times of the day (dusk and dawn).

Old 12-14-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
I highly doubt most people who live in hot climates all year round would say it's too hot to eat heavy. It's not like they are walking around all day thinking "oh my god I can't believe how hot it is here. Just like yesterday was and the day before that and probably tomorrow too". Maybe someone who has experienced living in both hot and cold climates would think something like that. Otherwise for people who have lived in a hot climate all their lives it just is what it is. Meals are generally eaten indoors so it doesn't matter how hot it is outside. Exercising outside takes place in the cooler times of the day (dusk and dawn).
The heat and humidity didn't really reduce my hunger in Singapore, in fact the sights and smells of the hawker centres and food courts are so alluring I feel hungry a lot there! Many of the food courts are air-conditioned, and it's always a contrast going from the muggy outdoors to the air-conditioned chill of the shopping mall.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:01 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,061,470 times
Errr... actually many Malay kids/men/women are obese, and it's very apparent wherever you go. They probably have the highest obese rate among all Malaysian ethnic groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or