U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 04:50 PM

1,093 posts, read 2,280,587 times

Advertisements

San Francisco also has many Asian hobos.

In Asia, most hobos are entire families. I do recall seeing hobos in Hong Kong, many in fact, they sit on the corner, kneel down and beg for change. The ones in west just sleep in their own filth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,450,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ You probably don't see Asian hobos in Australia because Asians who emigrate to other countries are usually well-off. Hobos don't emigrate because they can't. If you want to see homeless Asians, go to almost any Southeast Asian country. That's not a knock against Southeast Asia, it's the truth.
Yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of hobos in poor Asian countries. I was just wondering if there were as many hobos in wealthy Asian countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Please visit Sydney. If you want to see Asian hobos you will have a frenzy here. Check out Grand Central and Town Hall Train Stations.
Hmm, I wonder why I never see Asian hobos in Perth. I've never been to Sydney and I have no plans in the future.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:18 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,412,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
Yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of hobos in poor Asian countries. I was just wondering if there were as many hobos in wealthy Asian countries.

Hmm, I wonder why I never see Asian hobos in Perth. I've never been to Sydney and I have no plans in the future.
I actually don't see that many hobos in Perth full stop, especially nowadays. Most seem to be aboriginal if anything, rather than white.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
In the words of Lee Kuan Yew, "social security systems make people lazy". People are expected to work and earn enough money to take care of themselves into the old age, otherwise all they do would be relying on the government to hand out free food and cash, which is something the government would not like to see.
I can understand his point. A lot of people do abuse public assistance programs i.e. people choosing to have multiple children they cannot afford and prefer to live off welfare rather than getting a job and using birth control. Unemployed single mother on benefits who spends £2,000 on Christmas with 20 presents for each of her children | Mail Online

There is a difference between giving someone a hand UP and a hand out.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:47 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,292,936 times
I can't recall seeing anyone that I would call a Hobo. One sees street children who might be homeless, and occasionally an adult who may be mentally incapacitated, but one has no way of knowing if they cared for by somebody or not. Drunks are just left to lie in the street until they sober up.

In a town in China I saw a dead child lying in the street, apparently hit by a car, who looked like he had been there for several hours at least, and everyone just ignored the body. No idea what happened afterwards.

In India, and probably other places, there are religious ascetics, dressed literally in a rag, very dirty, who are culturally accepted and even ride the bus free.

I can't recall anybody ever asking me for money in Asia, there probably were a few, but not enough that I remember.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:29 PM

200 posts, read 395,802 times
Hobos aren't Homeless people. 2 different categories you got going on here.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:04 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 8,706,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In a town in China I saw a dead child lying in the street, apparently hit by a car, who looked like he had been there for several hours at least, and everyone just ignored the body.

No idea what happened afterwards.
Chinese van driver who killed 2-year-old girl in hit-and-run gets 3 1/2 year sentence* - NY Daily News

China is a very disturbing place on so many levels.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:47 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,292,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinhobo View Post
Wikipedia: A hobo is a migratory worker or homeless vagabond, especially one who is penniless. The term originated in the Western—probably Northwestern—United States during the last decade of the 19th century.[1] Unlike "tramps", who work only when they are forced to, and "bums", who do not work at all, "hobos" are workers who wander.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinhobo View Post
Oh, you're right. My mistake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or