U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 07:55 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,455,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Japan has tons of small gorgeous towns all over the place.

Probably the biggest misconception about Japan is that many people think the entire country = Tokyo.
Actually when I think Japan, or what I love about it, I picture quaint rural ryokans among bamboo groves, ancient Zen monasteries among cherry blossoms in Kyoto, the historic Gion district and wooden laneways, the beauty and Fuji. The futuristic metropolises of Tokyo and Osaka are but one image that comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 11:30 AM

6,066 posts, read 10,861,485 times
I am glad to see plenty of nice, pleasant, impressive, and specific responses.

However, other than favorite nature scenery areas this topic is also equally about Favorite Smaller Cities/Towns in Asia that are not heavily populated huge cities such as with less than 800,000 people.

I’ll briefly say of my favorite smaller cities/towns in Asia and after that my favorite nature scenery areas in Asia:

Phuket
Chiang Mai
Hoi An
Hue
Shimla
Nagano
Georgetown

Thai beaches
Chinese/Tibetan Himalayas
Indian Himalayas
Yushan mountains in Taiwan and Suao Hualien coast
Vietnamese, Indian, Malaysian beaches
Japanese Alps
Some South Korean nature areas.
Bhutan/Nepalese Himalayas
Pamirs/Tian Shans/Altai in Western China, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan

Old 12-24-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's true, Asia's scenery can be underrated, even though I believe it has the best scenery of ALL the continents (even though it's subjective). Not because it has the highest mountains.etc, but because of it's sheer diversity, unique landscapes (China's karsts, the spires of Cappadocia) and also how it's integrated with the human landscape.

I've travelled to 8 Asian countries, and each has impressed me greatly with it's natural scenery, wildlife.etc. There are too many highlights to list. I've been to Singapore, Malaysia, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Taiwan and Sri Lanka (I guess 8 if you include HK) so if you want to ask me about any of the scenery in those countries please do.
Yeah, I agree that Asia’s scenery can be underrated and how Asia is viewed with some people for Cities of Varying Size vs. Overall Population Density Levels vs. Nature Scenery areas.

Oh, I thought you said recently South America and the Andes has the best scenery of all continents, or maybe you were just referring to mountain ranges. That is good you are bringing more focus back to Asia for that.

I see you have a wider definition for what you view as Asia and including a lot of places west of China/India such as in Central Asia, Middle East etc. I view those areas to be separate culturally from the real authentic Asia, sort of like a different continental region. However, I do see why the regions west of China/India is sometimes categorized with all of Asia.

Wow, that is impressive and a lot of fun to travel in up to 7 to 8 Asian countries. In just the past 2 months, you visited 2 new Asian countries you never went to before.

I do have some questions about the nature scenery areas for those countries you visited in Asia. For the actual places you saw in person how would you rank those 8 countries from most favorite to least favorite for nature scenery and the most specific places in each of those countries.

For Hong Kong part of China in particular, the urban scenery with nature scenery blend seems so unique with all of those high-rise dense skyscrapers, and tropical looking hills/mountains, beaches, and islands in the same region and all of it arranged in an especially intriguing way.

A lot of Hong Kong is very dense but some areas is a lot less dense/lower density, and even almost has a rural, sort of desolate feel sometimes for the outlying islands/coastal areas.

Plenty of people see Singapore as very urban. However, some areas of Singapore has nice pleasant nature scenery too with tropical lush jungles, and beaches, such as in Sentosa island.

Asia overall also has a lot of mostly untouched nature scenery areas relatively far way from heavily populated cities.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Funny I just wrote an essay comparing the two nations/islands, since they're so eminently comparable. If you want I can e-mail it to you.

Hard to compare, but Taiwan has a more 'spectacular, blow you away' type scenery, in some spectacular mountains, gorges, valleys. Taiwan's Yushan (Jade mountain) is higher than Mt. Fuji.

Taroko Gorge is unique and stunning too:

https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=...O4i6iQey4oGoAQ

3,000 metre+ peaks, steep sheer cliffs and canyons plunging into the ocean.

The sub-tropical forests are beautiful too.

Sri Lanka's central highlands are very scenic as well, just google 'Sri Lanka highlands', 'Nuwara Eliya', 'Ella', 'World's End' (Safari is not letting me copy the URL now for some reason).

I'm going to upload my pics - the best of them - to a hosting site soon.
I never realized before Taiwan and Sri Lanka had any similarities but they do have a noticeable amount of similarities once someone focuses on those countries more in a high quality, specific way.

For Taiwan, there is also Suao-Hualien coast that looks like Big Sur coast of California/Na Pali coast of Hawaii, especially in the top left corner of Google Images.

Did you get to visit Jiufen, Yushan mountains, and Suao-Hualien when you were in Taiwan?

Old 12-24-2012, 05:19 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,455,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Yeah, I agree that Asia’s scenery can be underrated and how Asia is viewed with some people for Cities of Varying Size vs. Overall Population Density Levels vs. Nature Scenery areas.

Oh, I thought you said recently South America and the Andes has the best scenery of all continents, or maybe you were just referring to mountain ranges. That is good you are bringing more focus back to Asia for that.

I see you have a wider definition for what you view as Asia and including a lot of places west of China/India such as in Central Asia, Middle East etc. I view those areas to be separate culturally from the real authentic Asia, sort of like a different continental region. However, I do see why the regions west of China/India is sometimes categorized with all of Asia.

Wow, that is impressive and a lot of fun to travel in up to 7 to 8 Asian countries. In just the past 2 months, you visited 2 new Asian countries you never went to before.

I do have some questions about the nature scenery areas for those countries you visited in Asia. For the actual places you saw in person how would you rank those 8 countries from most favorite to least favorite for nature scenery and the most specific places in each of those countries.

For Hong Kong part of China in particular, the urban scenery with nature scenery blend seems so unique with all of those high-rise dense skyscrapers, and tropical looking hills/mountains, beaches, and islands in the same region and all of it arranged in an especially intriguing way.

A lot of Hong Kong is very dense but some areas is a lot less dense/lower density, and even almost has a rural, sort of desolate feel sometimes for the outlying islands/coastal areas.

Plenty of people see Singapore as very urban. However, some areas of Singapore has nice pleasant nature scenery too with tropical lush jungles, and beaches, such as in Sentosa island.

Asia overall also has a lot of mostly untouched nature scenery areas relatively far way from heavily populated cities.
Well South America is a close second for scenery, but Asia's sheer size/diversity is hard to beat.

I'm just using the geographical definition of Asia. Culturally, Asia is so diverse, and some people think of different things when the word 'Asia' is mentioned. Some people even think of South Asians as different and only think of the Far East when they think of Asians. In the UK Asians are synonymous with South Asians, while to most people around the world East and Southeast Asia are.

Yes I was fortunate to visit these two countries in so short a span of time. Cheap airfares from Singapore are great! Yeah they are strangely comparable, when you look at them, but of course very different. They're two countries that are often forgotten by travellers, which is a pity because they are very interesting in their own right. Where else can you find 120 metre, 2,200 year old stupas? That's right, there are Buddhist stupas (bell-shaped pagoda like buildings that stored treasures) in Sri Lanka that outdate pretty much anything in Asia east of the Ganges. At 120m it was the 'third tallest building' in the ancient world. Taiwan is very strong on natural scenery and urban experience, but it does lack the extreme history of Sri Lanka. To make up for it there is the aboriginal culture, and of course the Chinese culture that some say is better preserved there than the Mainland.

For natural scenery, I would have to rank China 1st, of course, it's probably no. 1 or at least equal no. 1 in the world. After that it's quite hard to compare, but I'd actually say Taiwan would be no. 2. Vietnam and Malaysia tied, then Thailand, Sri Lanka, Singapore.

Yes I think that adds to HK's unique beauty. It's skyline-city-scape is so unique, a huge wall of skyscrapers against the verdant hills and Victoria Peak. Few realise most of HK island isn't even built up! The same can be said of Singapore, more than half is reserves.etc. The Bukit Timah Nature Reserve is the only area of virgin rainforest left on the island. There were tigers roaming the island into the 1930s.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:28 PM

686 posts, read 959,216 times
No where can beat North Pakistan for scenery. Mountains, lakes, forests - not the safest place at the moment, obviously, but just take a look at pictures.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:58 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,063,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post

Sentosa Island's beaches are manmade, and I don't particularly like the seaview from there (esp Siloso Beach) - it's all containers and ships in the far distance! No wide expanse of horizons.

Indonesia's far east is beautiful! It's remote, less populated, exotic, and pleasant to visit. My first independent travel overseas is to North Sulawesi. Beautiful landscapes, cheerful people, and just some of the most incredible nature and surprises I've ever seen.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:28 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,346,398 times
If you're going to India, be sure to ask for a Sikkim endorsement on your visa, it is definitely worth going to. It's snugged in right between Nepal and Bhutan, and even Indians need a permit to go there, so it is very much off the beaten track.

In Thailand, my favorite place is the Tham Lod Caves, on the Burmese border near Pai. It's a national park, the caves are not worth the trip, but the atmosphere of the area is. No transport, you can hitch up in almost any car (only a few a day) from Soppong, or hire transport in town. Very rustic accommodations and meals, but you won't want to leave. When you do, just get a lift with park staff, who go down for supplies almost every day.

In Malaysia, Fraser's Hill is a wonderful hill station with a delightful climate and excellent accommodations. Again, hard to get to. Very few buses on the road past the hill, then you have to hitch to the top, which is easy, because all vehicles have to wait at the bottom for alternating one-way traffic on the narrow hill road. When the gate opens every hour, just ask one of the waiting cars for a lift, nobody will say No if they have room. Frasers Hill is pricey by Malaysian standards, but you can stay at the old resthouse by the gate at the bottom of the hill. If you're birdwatching, the Frasers Hill garbage dump is world famous.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-27-2012 at 09:22 AM..

Old 12-28-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Japan has tons of small gorgeous towns all over the place.

Probably the biggest misconception about Japan is that many people think the entire country = Tokyo.
You seem to have a lot of experience with living in Japan and established prominent personal connections in Japan.

There is some false conceptions that exist about Japan for how some people view it, and that includes some people thinking the entire country=Tokyo or that the only big city region in Japan being Tokyo.

It is easy to realize that Japan has a lot of places offering a different experience and scenery from Tokyo, and that there is plenty of other big cities such as Kyoto, Osaka, Nagoya, Fukuoka, Sapporo, etc.

What are your views about those other Japanese cities, and some nature scenery areas of Japan such as the beaches, forests, islands, and Japanese Alps? I know Nara, and Nagano are some of the best small towns in Japan. How about at least 8 other intriguing small towns in Japan?

Old 12-28-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Sentosa Island's beaches are manmade, and I don't particularly like the seaview from there (esp Siloso Beach) - it's all containers and ships in the far distance! No wide expanse of horizons.

Indonesia's far east is beautiful! It's remote, less populated, exotic, and pleasant to visit. My first independent travel overseas is to North Sulawesi. Beautiful landscapes, cheerful people, and just some of the most incredible nature and surprises I've ever seen.
Singapore still has some parts of it with a brief escape from urban density and offering some nature scenery with lush tropical jungles, and tropical beaches. However, Singapore is certainly more of place to go for an urban experience, and almost all other Asian countries has a lot more nature scenery areas.

For Malaysia in particular, the Borneo island part of it seems impressive and worthwhile to explore, including some beaches on the mainland.

This topic is also about medium sized/small sized populated cities that are not huge cities. Georgetown in Penang Malaysia seems underrated and one of the best medium sized populated cities in Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or