U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 06:36 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,859,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well South America is a close second for scenery, but Asia's sheer size/diversity is hard to beat.

I'm just using the geographical definition of Asia. Culturally, Asia is so diverse, and some people think of different things when the word 'Asia' is mentioned. Some people even think of South Asians as different and only think of the Far East when they think of Asians. In the UK Asians are synonymous with South Asians, while to most people around the world East and Southeast Asia are.

Yes I was fortunate to visit these two countries in so short a span of time. Cheap airfares from Singapore are great! Yeah they are strangely comparable, when you look at them, but of course very different. They're two countries that are often forgotten by travellers, which is a pity because they are very interesting in their own right. Where else can you find 120 metre, 2,200 year old stupas? That's right, there are Buddhist stupas (bell-shaped pagoda like buildings that stored treasures) in Sri Lanka that outdate pretty much anything in Asia east of the Ganges. At 120m it was the 'third tallest building' in the ancient world. Taiwan is very strong on natural scenery and urban experience, but it does lack the extreme history of Sri Lanka. To make up for it there is the aboriginal culture, and of course the Chinese culture that some say is better preserved there than the Mainland.

For natural scenery, I would have to rank China 1st, of course, it's probably no. 1 or at least equal no. 1 in the world. After that it's quite hard to compare, but I'd actually say Taiwan would be no. 2. Vietnam and Malaysia tied, then Thailand, Sri Lanka, Singapore.

Yes I think that adds to HK's unique beauty. It's skyline-city-scape is so unique, a huge wall of skyscrapers against the verdant hills and Victoria Peak. Few realise most of HK island isn't even built up! The same can be said of Singapore, more than half is reserves.etc. The Bukit Timah Nature Reserve is the only area of virgin rainforest left on the island. There were tigers roaming the island into the 1930s.
I continue to easily prefer Asia compared to South America for plenty of reasons. I choose Asia without hesitation and it is no contest.

However, I started to change my opinions in the past year for some areas of South America with some more positive, optimistic, respectful views for Argentina/Chile and finding them interesting. That is the place I would visit over there. Most of South America outside of that I have lack of interest with.

Yeah, there is a difference in perception between the cultural definition for the real authentic Asia compared to the geographical definition.

You are lucky to get to travel a lot, to visit 2 international countries in 2 months, and you know a lot of the best qualities, excitement, perspective to get from traveling and viewing places in the World.That also seems consistent for you and getting to travel frequently every year.

When I was somewhere between 15 years to 18 years old, my record was traveling to up to 6 countries in just 2 months with Romania, Bulgaria, UK, France, Canada, Costa Rica. That was especially impressive but it doesn’t seem I’ll get close to that record anytime soon.

However, I also had some 1 year to 4 years time lengths of my life where I did not get to travel outside of the USA and barely traveled even in the USA. Overall for my life, I sometimes frequently traveled a lot, and then some other times not nearly in the same amount.

In recent times, I was not able to travel that much but I am sure I’ll be able to travel a lot more again soon in the near future.

Plenty of Asian countries offer a lot of impressive qualities to people such as Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, India etc, even if they can’t be compared easily to China.

Hong Kong is a unique high quality place for plenty of reasons such as for urban scenery with nature scenery combination, density levels, architecture, geography, history, the level of cosmopolitan diversity it has with a blend of Chinese, some European, other cultures, and the relations Hong Kong has with the rest of China.

I also find the Chinese city of Shanghai very intriguing, but it does lack the nature scenery blend that Hong Kong has and probably other qualities too, but Shanghai has more historic/classic forms of architecture compared to Hong Kong, and a decent amount of 4 seasons nature scenery not that far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 07:08 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,447,074 times
Why are you less interested in South America? The cultural homogeneity? Being mostly Spanish speaking? I'm interested in South America largely for it's nature. I'm particularly interested in Peru and Ecuador: they seem to have the best of everything South America has to offer: the Amazon, Andes, Native American culture, ancient inca ruins, the coast, Galapagos, history, Spanish colonial cities. What more can you ask for? Peru is in my top 10 countries to visit in the world.

I've travelled a lot in the past 2 years, but prior to 2006 I'd only been to 3 countries - Singapore, Malaysia and New Zealand. God willing I'll be able to visit every continent except Antarctica (wish I still wanna see sometime), and visit at least 30 countries by the time I'm 30. For me travel is more than just sight-seeing, but learning about other countries/cultures. I'd also like to make a career out of travel and make a positive impact in the world, somehow. I've considered doing some overseas volunteering work too, that might be something to do in the near future. I had planned to go on a working holiday of Canada might have to put that on hold.

Hong Kong is truly a one of a kind city. It is pretty amazing, but on the ground, I prefer Singapore. Even though it has a bad reputation Singaporeans seem still friendlier than Hong Kongers, I prefer the more diverse food, and it's a bit less stressful. I haven't been to Shanghai but it'd be worth checking out. Beijing is very interesting, you should visit before they destroy it's history. It's a pity how much the Communists have destroyed China's cultural heritage. In that sense, India is better preserved, which in some ways makes it a more compelling destination for culture. As i said, Sri Lanka is a hidden gem. Boasting 2,200 year old stupas, the only thing comparable in India is the stupa at Sanchi. The oldest Hindu temple is at least 500 years younger! For it's great age, a lot of historical heritage in India has been destroyed. The Mughals ravaged many northern Indian centres of Hinduism like Allallahbad (sp?) and Varanasi/Benares, supposedly one of the oldest inhabited cities on earth. Imagine visiting India circa 1500, with many 2,000 year old ghats/temples. Now most of the ghats are a mere hundreds of years old.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:10 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,859,454 times
Quote:
I've travelled a lot in the past 2 years, but prior to 2006 I'd only been to 3 countries - Singapore, Malaysia and New Zealand. God willing I'll be able to visit every continent except Antarctica (wish I still wanna see sometime), and visit at least 30 countries by the time I'm 30. For me travel is more than just sight-seeing, but learning about other countries/cultures. I'd also like to make a career out of travel and make a positive impact in the world, somehow. I've considered doing some overseas volunteering work too, that might be something to do in the near future. I had planned to go on a working holiday of Canada might have to put that on hold.
Yeah, you know a lot about the World in a good, important, impressive, high quality way. That also includes a lot of qualities, excitement, and perspective you get from traveling and viewing places in the World.

There is plenty of valuable experience to get from international living and traveling.

Making a positive impact on the World also matters for people’s lives and realizing what that can indicate, refer to, and focus on the most.

I think you said somewhere you are an Urban Planner in Australia. That is a career with plenty of opportunities.

I am in college right now majoring in Architecture and a minor in Environmental Studies. One of my main career possibilities is becoming an Architect soon. I’m actually just 21 years old, but I do seem a bit older.

Good luck with your future traveling, international living, making a positive impact on the world, and other similar life aspirations!

This website is a perfect, magnificent, intriguing place for a lot of topics, so I’m sure you’ll also be addicted to CD website for a long time while also being busy with a lot of other parts for life.

Quote:
Hong Kong is truly a one of a kind city. It is pretty amazing, but on the ground, I prefer Singapore. Even though it has a bad reputation Singaporeans seem still friendlier than Hong Kongers, I prefer the more diverse food, and it's a bit less stressful. I haven't been to Shanghai but it'd be worth checking out. Beijing is very interesting, you should visit before they destroy it's history. It's a pity how much the Communists have destroyed China's cultural heritage. In that sense, India is better preserved, which in some ways makes it a more compelling destination for culture. As i said, Sri Lanka is a hidden gem. Boasting 2,200 year old stupas, the only thing comparable in India is the stupa at Sanchi. The oldest Hindu temple is at least 500 years younger! For it's great age, a lot of historical heritage in India has been destroyed. The Mughals ravaged many northern Indian centres of Hinduism like Allallahbad (sp?) and Varanasi/Benares, supposedly one of the oldest inhabited cities on earth. Imagine visiting India circa 1500, with many 2,000 year old ghats/temples. Now most of the ghats are a mere hundreds of years old.
What do you prefer about Singapore on street/ground level compared to Hong Kong? Hong Kong upstages Singapore in plenty of characteristics/categories, but I do notice Singapore wins in some categories.

Shanghai is rising with international prominence, became such a huge modern metropolis so fast, and continuing to have the same consistency and momentum in activity.

Oh, I assumed a lot of China is preserving the cultural heritage, and historic/classic forms of architecture. I don’t really see a lot of that disappearing anytime soon.

India and Sri Lanka are intriguing and are underrated for some parts of scenery.

Quote:
Why are you less interested in South America? The cultural homogeneity? Being mostly Spanish speaking? I'm interested in South America largely for it's nature. I'm particularly interested in Peru and Ecuador: they seem to have the best of everything South America has to offer: the Amazon, Andes, Native American culture, ancient inca ruins, the coast, Galapagos, history, Spanish colonial cities. What more can you ask for? Peru is in my top 10 countries to visit in the world.
I continue to easily prefer Asia overall as a continental region compared to South America for plenty of reasons such as for culture, variety of countries, cities/towns, scenery, lifestyle, etc.

However, I enjoy Argentina a lot, and Chile, and find them very interesting.

It is the rest of South America that I am referring to overall as a continent. Maybe I can change my opinions soon about Peru, Ecuador, and some areas of Brazil.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:56 PM

5,096 posts, read 8,076,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
After visiting Thailand in a couple of weeks, I hope to add more to my list.
You'll be there at the best time of year for foreigners, weatherwise. The Cool season isn't as hot or as rainy as other seasons. Still, "Cool" has to be taken as a relative term. It can still get pretty toasty. BKK can get very hot and muggy from the heat trapped by all roads and concrete buildings around the city. It's not unusual for temps to reach highs in the 90s in the city.

There are loads of scenic areas around the country. I think one refreshing location for scenery (not yet mentioned) is around Sukhothai. Apart from visiting the historical parks, there's not all that much to do there. It's an excellent location for photos though, especially around Muang Gow (Old City).

Ayutthaya deserves a mention for historical parks as well, and is easy as a day trip from BKK. For anyone spending an overnighter at Ayutthaya, the night market along the river is a good place to find goodies to eat and just stroll around to look at some of the odds and ends of stuff vendors have on display for sale. It's a good place to spend an hour or two in the evening.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:34 AM

1,434 posts, read 2,119,882 times
I think India has great scenery. You have the deserts of Rajasthan as well the ancient forts and cities, Kashmir, Sikkim, Darjeeling, the entire Northeast has a lot of unspoiled breathtaking natural scenery, Kerala (Munnar for the Mountains, Tea plantations and Elephants and don;t forget the natural waterways). What I realy enjoy is the anicent temples, forts, buildings, etc.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:43 AM

1 posts, read 551 times
Many people assume that Hong Kong is just a huge city with nothing but skyscrapers, but you can find amazing nature/scenery just 15 minutes away from the city. Isolated beaches with clean water, green hills and waterfalls etc, small villages. Just search up "Hong Kong nature" on google.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:29 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,134,541 times
We have quite a few of those, I barely go out of town though so I'm not an expert. Tourists might even know better than me lol.
I guess those national parks are all pretty good, then there are Penghu islands(or Pescadores, that sounds so much cooler). People say that those islands are quite unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or