U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 02:25 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,848,039 times

Advertisements

Is There Sometimes Too Much Focus On Just Huge Cities in Asia?

Some people that donít know Asia well seem to have a false conception with Asiaís Cities vs. Overall Population Density Levels vs. Nature Scenery areas.

Some of those false conceptions is similar to the Architecture, and Lifestyle over there but that is probably for a separate topic with this sentence.

However, a lot of people do know Asia well, so here is another pleasant, intriguing, and excellent topic.

I already know a lot of my favorite nature scenery areas, and smaller cities/towns that are not huge very heavily populated cities in Asia. Iíll say all of those places a bit later in the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 03:12 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,767,656 times
my friend has been in nong kiaw in laos for the last two weeks and absolutely loves it. says it's a great scenic place to just kick back and relax and live on US$20/day. not as many annoying backpacker tourists as vang vieng. some pics i found on flickr

ive never been but gonna check it out based on his recommendation.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:55 PM

590 posts, read 664,125 times
Among my travels in Asia, the most memorable and unique scenery I have seen are:

China - Zhangjiajie in central China, Zhouzhaigou in northern Sichuan Province, Himalayan Mountains such as 'snow mountain' near Lijiang in Yunnan Province, and the Yangshuo area in southern China.

Vietnam - Halong Bay

Japan - Heizan Mountain with a wonderful night view of Kyoto and Osaka next to each other.

Korea - Jeju Island, especially near a waterfall

After visiting Thailand in a couple of weeks, I hope to add more to my list.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:13 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,393,502 times
That's true, Asia's scenery can be underrated, even though I believe it has the best scenery of ALL the continents (even though it's subjective). Not because it has the highest mountains.etc, but because of it's sheer diversity, unique landscapes (China's karsts, the spires of Cappadocia) and also how it's integrated with the human landscape.

I've travelled to 8 Asian countries, and each has impressed me greatly with it's natural scenery, wildlife.etc. There are too many highlights to list. I've been to Singapore, Malaysia, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Taiwan and Sri Lanka (I guess 8 if you include HK) so if you want to ask me about any of the scenery in those countries please do.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've travelled to 8 Asian countries, and each has impressed me greatly with it's natural scenery, wildlife.etc. There are too many highlights to list. I've been to Singapore, Malaysia, China, Vietnam, Thailand, Taiwan and Sri Lanka (I guess 8 if you include HK) so if you want to ask me about any of the scenery in those countries please do.
I've never been to Sri Lanka or Taiwan. In your opinion, which island among those two has more natural beauty? Were tourist fascilities and transportation in Sri Lanka up to par with tourist areas in Vietnam?

Old 12-19-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
I've never been to Sri Lanka or Taiwan. In your opinion, which island among those two has more natural beauty? Were tourist fascilities and transportation in Sri Lanka up to par with tourist areas in Vietnam?
Funny I just wrote an essay comparing the two nations/islands, since they're so eminently comparable. If you want I can e-mail it to you.

Hard to compare, but Taiwan has a more 'spectacular, blow you away' type scenery, in some spectacular mountains, gorges, valleys. Taiwan's Yushan (Jade mountain) is higher than Mt. Fuji.

Taroko Gorge is unique and stunning too:

https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=...O4i6iQey4oGoAQ

3,000 metre+ peaks, steep sheer cliffs and canyons plunging into the ocean.

The sub-tropical forests are beautiful too.

Sri Lanka's central highlands are very scenic as well, just google 'Sri Lanka highlands', 'Nuwara Eliya', 'Ella', 'World's End' (Safari is not letting me copy the URL now for some reason).

I'm going to upload my pics - the best of them - to a hosting site soon.

Sri Lanka's tourist infrastructure is similar to Vietnam. Old trains, limited public transport, kind of hectic, signs.etc not always the best, a more gritty experience than Taiwan, which feels very modern, easy to get around. In both places you get hassled a lot by touts. Sri Lankans are really friendly though, and the customer service in both places was great.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:59 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Wow, the water fall at Nuwara Eliya, Sri Lanka is quite impressive. Also, Taiwan's mountains generally look good in pics with a combination of sub tropical greens and exposed rock. For my trip this winter, I had to choose between Thailand and Taiwan. The elephants, Phang Nga, and banana curry tipped the scale in favor of Thailand.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Wow, the water fall at Nuwara Eliya, Sri Lanka is quite impressive. Also, Taiwan's mountains generally look good in pics with a combination of sub tropical greens and exposed rock. For my trip this winter, I had to choose between Thailand and Taiwan. The elephants, Phang Nga, and banana curry tipped the scale in favor of Thailand.
Yeah Thailand and Taiwan provide different experiences. I hope some day you will see Taiwan and not ignore/forget about it like I admit I did!

Old 12-21-2012, 09:05 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,281,369 times
There is plenty of wildlife everywhere. My wife and I saw 430 species of birds in eight months in 16 countries in Asia, with no guides, using only public transportation. Also with no previous familiarity with Asian birds, learning them as we go. We avoided cities whenever possible, traveling from town to town and walking in the nearby countryside.

The report of our trip (with species list) is still on line, if anyone is interested, PM me and I'll send you the link.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-21-2012 at 09:25 PM..

Old 12-23-2012, 07:26 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times
Japan has tons of small gorgeous towns all over the place.

Probably the biggest misconception about Japan is that many people think the entire country = Tokyo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or