U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose your overall favorite in the poll:
India 8 19.05%
Vietnam 8 19.05%
Thailand 22 52.38%
An Equal Preference/Tie Between Two of the Countries or All Three Countries 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:41 PM

6,056 posts, read 10,839,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Vietnam is probably my favorite Asian country. We have been there twice in the past three years and just love it.

I don't have time to go through and answer all the questions, but I have been to India 3 times, Thailand 3 times and Vietnam twice.

Of the cities I actively dislike HCM but love Hanoi and could live in Hoi An (which is a town not a city). I enjoy Bangkok but wouldn't want to spend any extended time there. Southern Thailand is stunning but over run with tourists.

Halong Bay is some of the most gorgeous scenery ever. Knocks the socks off southern China and even southern Thailand although the Southern Thai beaches are some of the best I've seen.

India. What to say about India?! It is the most beautiful and most ugly, most exciting and most depressing, most colorful and most bleak and I just love it!

All 3 countries are fabulous and I would rank each of them first for different reasons.... but if I could only go back to one of them it would be Vietnam. Then India and lastly Thailand. I love it there, but have a feeling of 'been there and done that' that I haven't felt with either of the other two places.
These 3 countries each have some qualities that the other country might not have as much and might even miss, so that is interesting to see people’s experiences and preferences for them, the country that they like the most, and people’s views for that. However, at the same time all 3 countries have some vague similarities too.

All 3 countries are wonderful and can offer a very exciting invigorating adventure with life.

That was a pleasant, high quality travel summary that you wrote.

I do notice plenty of people have a dramatic change of opinions for Hanoi compared to Ho Chi Minh/Saigon and enjoying Hanoi a lot while finding disdain for that other Vietnamese city.

What are most of your specific reasons for loving Vietnam and viewing that as your favorite Asian country?

Yeah, India is quite a paradox with so many topics. I usually focus on the more positive/optimistic views of India, but I am realistic, and have awareness for some of the negativity. On the contrary, some other people view this country in an overly negative/pessimistic/lack of respect way.

However, there is plenty of people with similar opinions of India that I have and being able to appreciate, find good qualities, and having interest with India. Also, India is changing a lot over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Vietnam is probably my favorite Asian country. We have been there twice in the past three years and just love it.

I don't have time to go through and answer all the questions, but I have been to India 3 times, Thailand 3 times and Vietnam twice.

Of the cities I actively dislike HCM but love Hanoi and could live in Hoi An (which is a town not a city). I enjoy Bangkok but wouldn't want to spend any extended time there. Southern Thailand is stunning but over run with tourists.

Halong Bay is some of the most gorgeous scenery ever. Knocks the socks off southern China and even southern Thailand although the Southern Thai beaches are some of the best I've seen.

India. What to say about India?! It is the most beautiful and most ugly, most exciting and most depressing, most colorful and most bleak and I just love it!

All 3 countries are fabulous and I would rank each of them first for different reasons.... but if I could only go back to one of them it would be Vietnam. Then India and lastly Thailand. I love it there, but have a feeling of 'been there and done that' that I haven't felt with either of the other two places.

Of course I met my husband in Delhi when we were both there on business so I have a soft spot for it for that reason too.
I could live in Hoi An too. While touristy, it's not too busy, the traffic isn't insane, the food is the best (despite being small), it feels the most old world and historic, and i prefer the scenery of the mountainous central spine of VN vs the lowland south.

Halong is unique but i wouldn't say it knocks the socks of China. Guilin etc is equally impressive as Halong.

Would also be interested to hear what would draw you back to Vietnam.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:43 AM

6,056 posts, read 10,839,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
I just recently visited Bangkok this summer for the first time and it was simply marvelous. So much culture and energy, it was so unique and Thai is my favorite food ever both in the United States & especially was fantastic in Bangkok. The scenery right on the outskirts of Bangkok were so marvelous.

Now India, I've lived there before in Mumbai (Navi Mumbai). Mumbai is a very energetic city and like Bangkok it's a megacity (albeit much larger) and has a lot of culture, cuisine, shopping, & interesting things to see and do (just like Bangkok) but the city also has infinitely more poverty but that's away from the coast. On the coast and a few miles inland from the coast is simply exhilarating.

My favorite city in India is Bangalore though (same size as Ho Chi Minh City) at around 8.7 million people. It's more educated, has far less slums, more of an intellectually dynamic place often dubbed "Silicon Valley of India" and lives up to that reputation increasingly. I also love Pune too (5.2 million people) & the expressway between Mumbai & Pune is amazing, so scenic & fun. Delhi & Kolkata are god awful cities though, just plain awful- avoid them at all cost and go with Mumbai if you want a better megacity experience in India than those two.

I've never been or lived in Vietnam so I cant comment there but if needed I'll go more into my experiences in Bangkok, Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Bangalore, Varansi, Pune, Patna, Jamshedpur, Ranchi, Agra, or Lucknow.
That is an excellent and magnificent travel and international living summary.

I frequently wondered if the best Thai restaurants in the USA and other countries are an accurate and good representation for the country of Thailand itself and everything that place offers.

Some of the best restaurant experiences I had was with Thai for the food, the ambience and character of the restaurants outside of the food, etc.

Yeah, Bangkok is a very worthwhile city to experience for the culture, energy, scenery, people, etc. However, that is also true for a lot of other areas of Thailand outside of Bangkok such as in Phuket, Chiang Mai, all of the other cities/towns, nature scenery.

The perception and reputation of India seems to be changing over time in a positive, optimistic, intriguing way. A lot of that is because India is becoming wealthier, more knowledge about that country in particular, and becoming more easily accessible to tourists/foreigners.

There is a lot I already know about India, but I am actually surprised about the city of Bangalore and did not know about that for the status of the Bangalore region. Is there a similar situation in the city of Chennai not far away from there?

India continues to be a paradox, even with the changes, and that is especially accurate for the city of Mumbai. That city does appear quite divided and segregated based on income levels, but I would mostly just travel in the middle class/wealthy parts of Mumbai and try to avoid the poor areas.

Delhi is the national political capital of India with some impressive architecture/historic sites/temples, and near proximity to the Indian Himalayan mountains, so I donít see how Delhi can be bad. I am sure it has at least some nice areas.

However, Kolkata near Bangladesh does overall seem bad and to be avoided.

India has a lot of fun and interesting places to experiences such as Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, the wealthier provinces/states that are doing the best, a lot of tropical beaches, and the Indian Himalayan mountains.

Vietnam does seem the most mysterious/least known out of these 3 countries compared to Thailand and India.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:32 PM

1,869 posts, read 3,128,396 times
I was just in Thailand for 2.5 weeks this November. There is a lot to like about it. But some VERY touristy areas (Bangkok, beach areas, Chiang Mai). The central part of Chiang Mai felt like it could have been a European city somewhere as it literally felt like tourists outnumbered the local Thais. Once I got over the shock & disappointment of how loaded it was with tourists & backpackers, Chiang Mai was a pleasant place.

My first time I went to Thailand I wanted to hit the most popular areas just to see them once. But next time I go I will get off the beaten track to Isan and other places like that.

The beach areas of Thailand are very, very beautiful, but I'm not a beach type of guy as I get bored after about 2 days at any beach resort area. Next visit I will skip the beach and islands.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:12 AM

3,490 posts, read 7,378,829 times
Sorry it took me a while to get back to this thread.

I did not find Guilin to be as beautiful as Halong Bay by a long shot. Yangshou was lovely though but I still think Halong Bay is far more beautiful and even Tam Coc.

Why do we love Vietnam so much?? Well I find the people mostly charming, the hotels friendly and excellent, the scenery lovely and it has Hoi An. The first time we went to Hoi An it was out of season and we instantly fell in love with it. The second time we went we arrived after 3 days on the back of motorbikes in the rural highlands and hadn't seen another tourist in days. Pulling in to Hoi An felt like pulling in to Kuta Beach Thailand there were so many foreigners. I was SO disappointed.... but a couple if hours later I was back in love with the place despite myself. It's just an easy and gorgeous place to be, fabulous places to stay and the beach (which no one talks about) is beautiful with Vietnamese in bowl boats floating by. LOVE.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:46 PM

35 posts, read 65,303 times
Interesting poll! But the countries aren't easily compared as some others pointed out. India is much larger than the other two and you would find something there depending on how you segment...

Old 01-04-2013, 03:50 PM

5 posts, read 7,874 times
I like north Vietnam the most -
but the weather would be better in Thailand
I am loyal to the weather - I like thailand as well as Vietnam - I just spent more time in Vietnam & I like the people

Last edited by azguy14; 01-04-2013 at 04:22 PM..

Old 01-08-2013, 03:56 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
^ I find the quality of Thai food here pretty good, actually. Easier to get decent tasting Thai that's somewhat authentic than Chinese, and often Indian as well.

Vietnam's reputation is growing here, due to the many Vietnamese eateries...it's also not bad, not too differentiated from local tastes unlike Chinese. You'll see more people visiting Vietnam as well.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:05 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,061,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
That is an excellent and magnificent travel and international living summary.

I frequently wondered if the best Thai restaurants in the USA and other countries are an accurate and good representation for the country of Thailand itself and everything that place offers.

Some of the best restaurant experiences I had was with Thai for the food, the ambience and character of the restaurants outside of the food, etc.

Yeah, Bangkok is a very worthwhile city to experience for the culture, energy, scenery, people, etc. However, that is also true for a lot of other areas of Thailand outside of Bangkok such as in Phuket, Chiang Mai, all of the other cities/towns, nature scenery.

The perception and reputation of India seems to be changing over time in a positive, optimistic, intriguing way. A lot of that is because India is becoming wealthier, more knowledge about that country in particular, and becoming more easily accessible to tourists/foreigners.

There is a lot I already know about India, but I am actually surprised about the city of Bangalore and did not know about that for the status of the Bangalore region. Is there a similar situation in the city of Chennai not far away from there?

India continues to be a paradox, even with the changes, and that is especially accurate for the city of Mumbai. That city does appear quite divided and segregated based on income levels, but I would mostly just travel in the middle class/wealthy parts of Mumbai and try to avoid the poor areas.

Delhi is the national political capital of India with some impressive architecture/historic sites/temples, and near proximity to the Indian Himalayan mountains, so I donít see how Delhi can be bad. I am sure it has at least some nice areas.

However, Kolkata near Bangladesh does overall seem bad and to be avoided.

India has a lot of fun and interesting places to experiences such as Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Pune, the wealthier provinces/states that are doing the best, a lot of tropical beaches, and the Indian Himalayan mountains.

Vietnam does seem the most mysterious/least known out of these 3 countries compared to Thailand and India.
Kolkata has a rich colonial heritage, I esp would love to visit the Victoria Memorial.

IMO, the most beautiful regions in India are Rajasthan, Kashmir, Kerala, Sikkim, Goa, Delhi, Agra, and Varanasi.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:19 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,349,751 times
Definitely interested in Vietnam and Thailand... India not as much. I wouldn't turn down a visit there, but there are many places I'd rather visit (Vietnam and Thailand among them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or