U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose your overall favorite in the poll:
India 8 19.05%
Vietnam 8 19.05%
Thailand 22 52.38%
An Equal Preference/Tie Between Two of the Countries or All Three Countries 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 02:42 PM

1,940 posts, read 939,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
I just recently visited Bangkok this summer for the first time and it was simply marvelous. So much culture and energy, it was so unique and Thai is my favorite food ever both in the United States & especially was fantastic in Bangkok. The scenery right on the outskirts of Bangkok were so marvelous.

Now India, I've lived there before in Mumbai (Navi Mumbai). Mumbai is a very energetic city and like Bangkok it's a megacity (albeit much larger) and has a lot of culture, cuisine, shopping, & interesting things to see and do (just like Bangkok) but the city also has infinitely more poverty but that's away from the coast. On the coast and a few miles inland from the coast is simply exhilarating.

My favorite city in India is Bangalore though (same size as Ho Chi Minh City) at around 8.7 million people. It's more educated, has far less slums, more of an intellectually dynamic place often dubbed "Silicon Valley of India" and lives up to that reputation increasingly. I also love Pune too (5.2 million people) & the expressway between Mumbai & Pune is amazing, so scenic & fun. Delhi & Kolkata are god awful cities though, just plain awful- avoid them at all cost and go with Mumbai if you want a better megacity experience in India than those two.

I've never been or lived in Vietnam so I cant comment there but if needed I'll go more into my experiences in Bangkok, Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Bangalore, Varansi, Pune, Patna, Jamshedpur, Ranchi, Agra, or Lucknow.
As a child of an Army parent who was transferred to yet another place every few years or even months I have lived in most major metropolitan cities in India.

Bombay / Mumbai - for 6 years. Loved it in the late 60's. Now just too overcrowded. Would not want to live or visit there.

Calcutta / Kolkatta - Just a hell hole ruined by left leaning communist parties. Lived in my childhood.

Chennai - Nice but too conservative and small gossip all the time. Can blend in easily in this city.

Bangalore. Lived when it was a nice mid sized town with really cool winter mornings. Now a concrete jungle.

Poona / Pune: Was a small sized city with army cantonment when I lived there when my dad was stationed there. Now a large city. I still have my brother living there. But I get bored after a few days there.

Hyderabad and Secundarabad - Growling rapidly, and for the better. Loved it during my childhood.

Pondicherry: Born there. Lived there the longest. Was a sleepy French influenced town when I was there. Could even have obtained French nationality if I had wished. But now it is not great any more.

Chandigarh / Simla: Has changed a lot in the past 10 years but I still love it.

Delhi ; My favorite city. Especially in winter. Crisp mornings. Stunning architecture. Great food. Yes there is poverty, but not as much as Mumbai or Kolkatta. My usual base to stay every time I go to India.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 08:20 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
I just recently visited Bangkok this summer for the first time and it was simply marvelous. So much culture and energy, it was so unique and Thai is my favorite food ever both in the United States & especially was fantastic in Bangkok. The scenery right on the outskirts of Bangkok were so marvelous.

Now India, I've lived there before in Mumbai (Navi Mumbai). Mumbai is a very energetic city and like Bangkok it's a megacity (albeit much larger) and has a lot of culture, cuisine, shopping, & interesting things to see and do (just like Bangkok) but the city also has infinitely more poverty but that's away from the coast. On the coast and a few miles inland from the coast is simply exhilarating.

My favorite city in India is Bangalore though (same size as Ho Chi Minh City) at around 8.7 million people. It's more educated, has far less slums, more of an intellectually dynamic place often dubbed "Silicon Valley of India" and lives up to that reputation increasingly. I also love Pune too (5.2 million people) & the expressway between Mumbai & Pune is amazing, so scenic & fun. Delhi & Kolkata are god awful cities though, just plain awful- avoid them at all cost and go with Mumbai if you want a better megacity experience in India than those two.

I've never been or lived in Vietnam so I cant comment there but if needed I'll go more into my experiences in Bangkok, Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Bangalore, Varansi, Pune, Patna, Jamshedpur, Ranchi, Agra, or Lucknow.
Thanks for the India comparisons! I have only been to Mumbai, but I really liked it. Bangalore, Goa, and Pondicherry all seem very attractive to me, whenever I get a chance to get back to India again.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:24 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Maybe Mumbai does a better job of segregating it's poor? The Dharavai slum in Mumbai is one of the densest places on earth and concentrations of poverty. Mumbai also has some super-rich areas. Kolkata and Delhi, I've heard bad things, Delhi is close to many attractions though.

Vietnam probably has some of the chaos of India, but it seems like a mini, tropical China in many ways to me.
I visited Dharavai slums on a slum tour. It wasn't too bad. I would have much more fear in a U.S. slum, or a Manila slum, or a Brazil slum. I found the Mumbai one to be quite pleasant. A ton of small business industry throughout (something you wouldn't see in U.S./Brazil, which seems to have deeper hard core drug usages/addictions/businesses).

That being said, Kolkata/Delhi, I've heard its more the constant harassment from the locals, that drains people down.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:30 AM

43,562 posts, read 52,689,396 times
Well. This thread has made me very hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or