Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 05:46 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,367 times

Advertisements

How often do you see hobos living on the streets of Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Macau, richer Chinese cities and Singapore?

I'm just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 05:56 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
We actually met an old homeless man outside Taipei Railway Station who asked us to buy him a coffee! I obliged, even took a photo with him (showing him what a saint I was lol jk). There were a few like him sleeping outside at night, at least it wasn't too cold. As a kid I used to see this in Singapore even, moreso Malaysia, but the government likes to pretend they don't exist. They do exist, however, like in any city. HK has an even greater wealth gap.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:25 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,367 times
I live in Australia too. There is a huge Asian population who have been in Australia for decades, and yet I can't remember ever seeing even 1 Asian hobo around the streets of Perth. I wondered if there was something about Asian culture which explained the absence of Asian hobos [taking care of their own?]. Most hobos here are white or Aboriginal. My friend went to Singapore and he said he couldn't remember seeing any homeless people at all.

I would have thought wealthier Asian countries would have social security programs to look after their poor. Apparently not.

That was kind of you to buy him a coffee. I prefer to give food to homeless people I come across. It 's good karma. I never give money though in case it is spent on cigarettes or other nonsense.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:55 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,747,321 times
^ You probably don't see Asian hobos in Australia because Asians who emigrate to other countries are usually well-off. Hobos don't emigrate because they can't. If you want to see homeless Asians, go to almost any Southeast Asian country. That's not a knock against Southeast Asia, it's the truth.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
I live in Australia too. There is a huge Asian population who have been in Australia for decades, and yet I can't remember ever seeing even 1 Asian hobo around the streets of Perth. I wondered if there was something about Asian culture which explained the absence of Asian hobos [taking care of their own?]. Most hobos here are white or Aboriginal. My friend went to Singapore and he said he couldn't remember seeing any homeless people at all.

I would have thought wealthier Asian countries would have social security programs to look after their poor. Apparently not.

That was kind of you to buy him a coffee. I prefer to give food to homeless people I come across. It 's good karma. I never give money though in case it is spent on cigarettes or other nonsense.
Oh yeah, I think he just wanted a coffee. Yeah it did feel good to do it, although I don't pretend I'm a really good person.

I was in Sri Lanka and gave some money to beggars/homeless people but it was chump change for me. Probably a fortune to them though.

For being so advanced Singapore barely has a social security system. You're expected to rely on family. Sometimes it's easy to miss but there is poverty in Singapore.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ You probably don't see Asian hobos in Australia because Asians who emigrate to other countries are usually well-off. Hobos don't emigrate because they can't. If you want to see homeless Asians, go to almost any Southeast Asian country. That's not a knock against Southeast Asia, it's the truth.
That's it, although some Asian groups such as the refugees, particularly from Vietnam, weren't so well off. You could see them in places like Cabramatta or Footscray. They've risen the ladder and it's not as bad as the 80s or 90s, but a lot were involved in drugs, gangs and no doubt there were some homeless ones. Asian culture is still family orientated, though, so they could usually rely on family.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:35 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Oh yeah, I think he just wanted a coffee. Yeah it did feel good to do it, although I don't pretend I'm a really good person.

I was in Sri Lanka and gave some money to beggars/homeless people but it was chump change for me. Probably a fortune to them though.

For being so advanced Singapore barely has a social security system. You're expected to rely on family. Sometimes it's easy to miss but there is poverty in Singapore.
In the words of Lee Kuan Yew, "social security systems make people lazy". People are expected to work and earn enough money to take care of themselves into the old age, otherwise all they do would be relying on the government to hand out free food and cash, which is something the government would not like to see.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:49 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
Hardly ever in Seoul, it just amazing how such a huge city could have so few visible homeless people, they exist of course, possibly just hidden from view and too ashamed to go out and ask for money, I don’t think I have ever being asked for money in Seoul.

Oddly enough I remember seeing quite a few beggars in parts of China, you see these people in the street showing off sometimes very gruesome injuries, and (often they are fake) asking for money.

One very memorable occurrence happened In Dali (Yunnan) I was once sitting at a cafe in a street filled with them in the old town. Some guy with not legs shows up out of nowhere ,throws what I could only described as a fit of some sort, and then rolls all the way down the street with his hand out, while continuing to make these terrible screeching noises.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
In the words of Lee Kuan Yew, "social security systems make people lazy". People are expected to work and earn enough money to take care of themselves into the old age, otherwise all they do would be relying on the government to hand out free food and cash, which is something the government would not like to see.
Well most people generally agree with the PAP, and considering what Uncle Lee has done for the country many don't want to question him or his successors.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:48 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,695,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post

Please visit Sydney. If you want to see Asian hobos you will have a frenzy here. Check out Grand Central and Town Hall Train Stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia