U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2012, 01:01 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,473,716 times

Advertisements

No as you probably know by now I'm not Indian lol, but after going to Sri Lanka, it got me wondering how Indians and, South Asians in general I guess, are viewed in East and Southeast Asia. There were some Chinese and Japanese tourists in Sri Lanka, and I hear they own some businesses, and Chinese food is popular.

How popular is Indian cuisine in most of Asia? It seems not too hard to find in touristy parts of Thailand, and is of course super common in Malaysia and Singapore. Malaysia and Singapore are about 8-9% Indian respectively so the people there are more familiar with Indian culture (in Singapore Tamil is an official language and Deepavali is a public holiday) including food etc...is it hard to find good Indian food in Japan outside Tokyo?

Do a lot of people hold racist views towards dark skinned Indian people in Korea, Japan and China? What do Chinese think of India's ancient culture, especially compared to China and it's long history? I think India has more links with SE Asia, but it's been many centuries since the region was really Indic in any real sense. I think many Buddhists venerate it as the sacred origin of Buddhism, and some go on a pilgrimage to certain sites associated with the Buddha in northern India, Nepal and Sri Lanka. Outside SE Asia, I'm not sure how culturally connected the two 'Asias' are.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:02 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,331,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
No as you probably know by now I'm not Indian lol, but after going to Sri Lanka, it got me wondering how Indians and, South Asians in general I guess, are viewed in East and Southeast Asia. There were some Chinese and Japanese tourists in Sri Lanka, and I hear they own some businesses, and Chinese food is popular.

How popular is Indian cuisine in most of Asia? It seems not too hard to find in touristy parts of Thailand, and is of course super common in Malaysia and Singapore. Malaysia and Singapore are about 8-9% Indian respectively so the people there are more familiar with Indian culture (in Singapore Tamil is an official language and Deepavali is a public holiday) including food etc...is it hard to find good Indian food in Japan outside Tokyo?

Do a lot of people hold racist views towards dark skinned Indian people in Korea, Japan and China? What do Chinese think of India's ancient culture, especially compared to China and it's long history? I think India has more links with SE Asia, but it's been many centuries since the region was really Indic in any real sense. I think many Buddhists venerate it as the sacred origin of Buddhism, and some go on a pilgrimage to certain sites associated with the Buddha in northern India, Nepal and Sri Lanka. Outside SE Asia, I'm not sure how culturally connected the two 'Asias' are.
In some SEAsian countries....indians have a bad reputation
in the Philippines, parents used to scare children with the idea that if they were bad the indian man will come for the kids and take them away

Old 12-23-2012, 05:36 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,473,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
In some SEAsian countries....indians have a bad reputation
in the Philippines, parents used to scare children with the idea that if they were bad the indian man will come for the kids and take them away
Why though? Did Indians do terrible things there in the past?

Old 12-23-2012, 06:03 PM

520 posts, read 502,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Why though? Did Indians do terrible things there in the past?
Probably nothing more than good ole racism....and it's not like Indians don't have their own infamous caste system.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:16 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,120,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Fingers View Post
Probably nothing more than good ole racism....and it's not like Indians don't have their own infamous caste system.

Racism on the part of the parents or the Indians? I dont think any Indian civilization made it to the Philippines bar some Arab/Muslim traders from Calicut or Arabia. As for caste, its not a racial system. It's a system that was built to keep order, develop trades and basically to keep control over the ppl. It alway dealt with the consolidation of power. The Brahmins were the fiercest protectors of this system since it placed them at the top. But the same caste system was practiced differently in different regions and kingdoms. It is smiliar and different to what other other ancient societies had like in Greece, Sparta, etc. Caste system applied to Hindus only not Indians which is made of many religions.

At one point, India did embrace Buddhism under Ashoka but after 2-300 yrs, it reverted back to Hinduism. The main reason was the Brahmins pushing a competing kingdom to do so.

Last edited by Mistertee; 12-28-2012 at 09:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or