U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 02:58 PM

12 posts, read 23,415 times

Advertisements

Konnichiwa!
I am from the States. I will be graduating this August with my welding degree/certification. Can anyone tell me if there are (or will be) many welding jobs for a gaijin like myself, and where they may be located? My Japanese is pretty rusty, so I know I will have to study. My cousin was there as a English tutor like 5 years ago, and said it was beautiful. I have great respect for your country, it's history, and ecology. Thanks for your input!
Domo Arigato!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 11:03 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Seriously?

1) There are welders already in Japan.
2) How would you understand what a client would want, if you don't know Japanese?

Old 12-24-2012, 11:44 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,793,962 times
Considering welding is considered medium skilled labor ... and that Japanese companies have been offshoring those jobs for about two decades now ... and considering that you don't even speak Japanese ...

Yeah ... right ... keep dreaming. Best bet is to find a Japanese girl and marry her, learn Japanese, and learn something useful, then move to Japan.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:38 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,070,228 times
I think also difficult because there are many unemployed Japanese.
Qualification of welding, there is no meaning in Japan.
Personal Care Assistant & Farmer's daughter-in-law are in demand.

Minimum prerequisite
■Japanese Language and Kanji.
■Japanese school.
■Difficult qualification and a Japanese driver's license.

Last edited by japanese001; 12-26-2012 at 02:47 AM..

Old 12-29-2012, 01:41 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,357,013 times
In a word: no.

If you spoke Japanese, got over there, had your own equipment, and were willing to work under the table for low wages, there's a chance you'd find some odd jobs here and there, but you wouldn't be working on building superstructures or things like that.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:08 AM

2 posts, read 10,834 times
Hmmm..realistically it will be very difficult for a foreigner to get any job in Japan without knowing the language. Heck, it'll be even more difficult getting around because there is kanji virtually everywhere. Even in unexpected places like on the doors of restrooms.

I think your best option is to become an English teacher in Japan, just for a while, so you can get a feeling of how it's like to work over there and to understand their high-standards. Also, it should give you a chance to brush up on your Japanese.

Have you been to Japan before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia