U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 05:08 PM

22,158 posts, read 23,683,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I haven't been to China in over 10 years, I wonder if they have convenient mass transportation language around, like in Japan, where the vast majority of train stations and many bus stops have English?
In a lot of the major cities, yes. Ten years is a long, long time for China. I remember going to Shanghai on trips only a few years apart and have complete swaths of the city more or less completely changed.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:20 PM

395 posts, read 699,695 times
My early 20s I wouldn't have minded Japan. But being a few years older. I rather visit Hawaii or the Bahamas.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:42 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,611,101 times
Let me tell you: many male tourists go to foreign countries for exotic sex.
China and Thailand has a lot of hookers or local women who want to "explore". India is way too conservative.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:48 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,363,470 times
As fate would have it, I'm planning a trip to Japan right now in a couple other tabs on this browser

Old 01-01-2013, 05:25 AM

590 posts, read 664,291 times
Quote:
I haven't been to China in over 10 years, I wonder if they have convenient mass transportation language around, like in Japan, where the vast majority of train stations and many bus stops have English?
In the last two or three years, trains have become more user friendly in Shanghai and Beijing and perhaps Shenzhen and Guangzhou. However in many cities, such as Wuhan, Changsha, and even a tourist city like Guiling, it is still very helpful to be able to be able to communicate in basic Chinese.

Most cities now have a modern airport which is very easy to use without knowing any Chinese. Also, flights within China can be purchased on-line from anywhere in the world with a credit card.

The easiest city in China to get around in continues to be Shanghai, with its ten easy-to-use subway lines. Just don't plan to be able to sit down on the two most common lines (one and two).

Old 01-02-2013, 04:21 PM

12,303 posts, read 18,421,290 times
For one thing - the visa requirements for India are a pain in the butt.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:24 PM

12,303 posts, read 18,421,290 times
Quote:
Shanghai certainly does...including high speed bullet trains and very crowded (but cheap and extensive) subways. Things are in English to some degree, and I was shocked to find that some of the workers in the train station speak English. Shanghi has the maglev which I think is the fastest train in the world.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:51 AM

22,158 posts, read 23,683,428 times
India does have places like Goa though which is known internationally.

India really is an oddity. It does have a lot of third world poverty and chaos especially in places like Calcutta, but India's also such an incredibly vast and diverse place that there are decidedly much less chaotic places often with living standards (along with sometimes physical land area and/or populations) similar or higher than tourist favorites elsewhere in Asia and it's something that not a lot of people realize. The sex tourist comment does sort of make sense, but India is similar to southeast and east asia where popular culture generally concentrates on really innocent, puppy love fluff while the sex industry remains huge. Really though, pretty much all of South Asia has pretty low tourism numbers, right? I don't imagine Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bhutan or Nepal really do all that much better. Well, maybe Nepal because of the Himalayas.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-04-2013 at 08:04 AM..

Old 01-05-2013, 07:58 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,145,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
As fate would have it, I'm planning a trip to Japan right now in a couple other tabs on this browser
To a specific city or the country as a whole?

Old 01-08-2013, 02:23 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,412,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
India does have places like Goa though which is known internationally.

India really is an oddity. It does have a lot of third world poverty and chaos especially in places like Calcutta, but India's also such an incredibly vast and diverse place that there are decidedly much less chaotic places often with living standards (along with sometimes physical land area and/or populations) similar or higher than tourist favorites elsewhere in Asia and it's something that not a lot of people realize. The sex tourist comment does sort of make sense, but India is similar to southeast and east asia where popular culture generally concentrates on really innocent, puppy love fluff while the sex industry remains huge. Really though, pretty much all of South Asia has pretty low tourism numbers, right? I don't imagine Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bhutan or Nepal really do all that much better. Well, maybe Nepal because of the Himalayas.
The sex industry in India is huge? News to me but sadly it wouldn't surprise me greatly with the poverty. I guess it's just not something that is well known about outside India then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or