U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:47 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I think it has more to do with education, literacy and exposure to the West. I agree though, it does feel different than the rest of India but I think it does help being Christian. But I find them to be somewhat more conservative over there. I enjoyed waking up to hindu chants blaring via speakers around 5am.....very soothing. But it does get boring. Bangalore has more things to do plus nightlife.
Weird when in Sri Lanka I got talking to a British couple and they said they felt Kerala was MORE conservative than other parts of India, which I thought was odd since it's the most westernised, wealthiest state. Unlike the US, Christianity tends to make a place more liberal. Hinduism makes people deeply conservative.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:11 PM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,061,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Weird when in Sri Lanka I got talking to a British couple and they said they felt Kerala was MORE conservative than other parts of India, which I thought was odd since it's the most westernised, wealthiest state. Unlike the US, Christianity tends to make a place more liberal. Hinduism makes people deeply conservative.
It actually makes some places even more conservative, like Northeast India.

Sri Lanka, being a small island nation and a coveted piece of land during the span of the colonial era, is understood to be more exposed to Western civilization compared to India which has a long history of feudal lordships despite the colonial rule.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post

Sri Lanka, being a small island nation and a coveted piece of land during the span of the colonial era, is understood to be more exposed to Western civilization compared to India which has a long history of feudal lordships despite the colonial rule.
How liberal can a tribal society esconsed in thousands of years of tradition be? lol They were probably even more conservative when they were Animists.

Sri Lanka probably is more liberal than India, but it's still South Asia, which is far more traditional than East Asia. Pre-marital sex, common in East Asia, is still frowned upon in Sri Lanka.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:31 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,116,657 times
Quote:

You are correct, its very conservative than other parts of India. Hindus still form the majority in Kerala though. I think even with the wealth and education, most families raise their kids with strict discipline. The funny thing is most youngsters leave the state as soon as they can. That;s why you will find them all over the world lol. I hope it changes and I believe in time it will. The only positive thing I found with regard to it, is the treatment of women. I mean with all the rapes and gangrapes coming in the news, you will rarely hear of such crimes in the South, especially Kerala. In fact, women felt the safest in Bangalore of all the metros according to a survey. Hinduism in South India is more conservative than the North. The South was able to resist foreign invasions much longer thereby preserving its original Hindu culture.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:33 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,116,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post

I also think being a buddhist nation has helped it tremendously. I wish India was a Buddhist nation today, things would probably be very, very different in a good way.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
You are correct, its very conservative than other parts of India. Hindus still form the majority in Kerala though. I think even with the wealth and education, most families raise their kids with strict discipline. The funny thing is most youngsters leave the state as soon as they can. That;s why you will find them all over the world lol. I hope it changes and I believe in time it will. The only positive thing I found with regard to it, is the treatment of women. I mean with all the rapes and gangrapes coming in the news, you will rarely hear of such crimes in the South, especially Kerala. In fact, women felt the safest in Bangalore of all the metros according to a survey. Hinduism in South India is more conservative than the North. The South was able to resist foreign invasions much longer thereby preserving its original Hindu culture.
Kerala lacks big cities so many go to Bangalore, Mumbai or abroad, especially if they're in IT or want to become doctors or scientists.

Yes, South India escaped the Muslim Mughal desecration of much of northern India. A lot of Islamic cultural imprint in Northern India even if it's still overwhelmingly Hindu, except for the Northwest and far North.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:21 AM

6,633 posts, read 8,322,265 times
Quote:
I think it has more to do with education, literacy and exposure to the West. I agree though, it does feel different than the rest of India but I think it does help being Christian. But I find them to be somewhat more conservative over there. I enjoyed waking up to hindu chants blaring via speakers around 5am.....very soothing. But it does get boring. Bangalore has more things to do plus nightlife.
I haven't ever been to Kerala myself but I knew quite a lot of Malyalees in Houston (most live in Missouri City, TX) and they were infinitely more different than the rest of us.

I know Indians are cliquish (I'm Indian myself but have no Indian friends-- well one and a half) but Malyalees in particular don't associate outside of their group and even then they have their own divisions that they don't mix out of. KNA or Orthodox, or so on. Their work ethnic is profound, they're very clean people but also can be lazy and procrastinating at first and then when it's time to step it up-- they do.

I've been interested in a few Malyalee girls back in high school but they wouldn't ever look my way because I wasn't a Malu-- they never dated outside of their group.

For us North Indians we mix well, even with our differences. Punjabi's, Gujarati's, Bihari's, Utter Pradeshi's, Haryani's, Maharashtri's, Kahmiri's, Bengali's, Sindhi's, we all maintain cross connections and it's perfectly acceptable to date and maintain relationships despite being of different backgrounds. South Indians: the Telegu's, Tamils, Madrasi's, and Malyalees are more cliquish by far and only associate with their own.

From my personal experience, us North Indians are by large more open to sex, Marijuana, drinking (especially the Bengali's & Punjabi's), and so on.

There's a serious North India-South India split culturally, my parents have been telling me my whole life.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
I haven't ever been to Kerala myself but I knew quite a lot of Malyalees in Houston (most live in Missouri City, TX) and they were infinitely more different than the rest of us.

I know Indians are cliquish (I'm Indian myself but have no Indian friends-- well one and a half) but Malyalees in particular don't associate outside of their group and even then they have their own divisions that they don't mix out of. KNA or Orthodox, or so on. Their work ethnic is profound, they're very clean people but also can be lazy and procrastinating at first and then when it's time to step it up-- they do.

I've been interested in a few Malyalee girls back in high school but they wouldn't ever look my way because I wasn't a Malu-- they never dated outside of their group.

For us North Indians we mix well, even with our differences. Punjabi's, Gujarati's, Bihari's, Utter Pradeshi's, Haryani's, Maharashtri's, Kahmiri's, Bengali's, Sindhi's, we all maintain cross connections and it's perfectly acceptable to date and maintain relationships despite being of different backgrounds. South Indians: the Telegu's, Tamils, Madrasi's, and Malyalees are more cliquish by far and only associate with their own.

From my personal experience, us North Indians are by large more open to sex, Marijuana, drinking (especially the Bengali's & Punjabi's), and so on.

There's a serious North India-South India split culturally, my parents have been telling me my whole life.
Interesting, so you'd say South India is more conservative? North India has seen more sweeping changes in the past, let's say 1000 years, so they're probably used to new influences. But then again, maybe it's also an urban vs rural thing. I imagine rural North India is probably also very conservative and steeped in Hinduism. Even large cities like Varanasi.etc. It seems to me only the large or global cities like New Delhi, Mumbai, Calcutta, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Chennai have very liberal populations. Someone from Bangalore is undoubtedly more liberal than a rural peasant from Uttar Pradesh.

Btw, being from so far north were/are your family Muslim?

Old 01-20-2013, 12:09 PM

6,633 posts, read 8,322,265 times
Quote:
Btw, being from so far north were/are your family Muslim?
I'm Atheist but everyone else in my family is either Hindu or Buddhist. When I lived in India and the several years after I moved to the United States every summer we would go to Banaras (Varansi). It's a very special city, animals are treated sacred there so monkeys live amongst people in the city. My dads had his glasses stolen by them multiple times. Haha.

I love Banaras (Varansi), it's a special place with a vibe unlike any other. Only place in the world where you'll find a large amount of English (white Britishers) being Hindu's as well, the way the city comes together historically, traditionally and culturally is overwhelmingly pleasant.
Quote:
Interesting, so you'd say South India is more conservative? North India has seen more sweeping changes in the past, let's say 1000 years, so they're probably used to new influences. But then again, maybe it's also an urban vs rural thing. I imagine rural North India is probably also very conservative and steeped in Hinduism. Even large cities like Varanasi.etc. It seems to me only the large or global cities like New Delhi, Mumbai, Calcutta, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Chennai have very liberal populations. Someone from Bangalore is undoubtedly more liberal than a rural peasant from Uttar Pradesh.
Yeahhh from my experience South India is definitely more conservative. I have a lot of experience in Bangalore in South India, my parent own real estate there and it's India's up and comer city. It feels worlds apart from Mumbai (not so different from Delhi or Calcutta though socially).

I think what helps North India is that we all watch either Hollywood or Bollywood both of which are culturally very westernized and modernizing, in a socially free way. Bollywood is just as if not more significant to India than even it's political government. Actors and actresses in India are the country's elites. In America, they're just entertainers, well known and viewed but politicians, business men, so on have more power.

In South India they have their own film industries-- Tollywood & Kollywood. Both of which are only regional draws.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:35 PM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,061,856 times
I haven't been to India but the country has always fascinated me (besides the fact that I'm a biggg fan of Indian cuisine). I find the North, Central, West, and Southwest the most interesting. Since Tamils make up the majority of the Indian population here, I'm more interested in the other Indian cultures (though I have to say I love the hot, richly spiced curries of Tamil cuisine). Places that intrigue me are Rajasthan, Kashmir, Agra, Delhi, Goa, Varanasi, Hyderabad, Kerala, and the pilgrimage sites of Nalanda and Bodh Gaya. I love some Bollywood films too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or