U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 06:58 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,725,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
I'm Atheist but everyone else in my family is either Hindu or Buddhist. When I lived in India and the several years after I moved to the United States every summer we would go to Banaras (Varansi). It's a very special city, animals are treated sacred there so monkeys live amongst people in the city. My dads had his glasses stolen by them multiple times. Haha.

I love Banaras (Varansi), it's a special place with a vibe unlike any other. Only place in the world where you'll find a large amount of English (white Britishers) being Hindu's as well, the way the city comes together historically, traditionally and culturally is overwhelmingly pleasant.

Yeahhh from my experience South India is definitely more conservative. I have a lot of experience in Bangalore in South India, my parent own real estate there and it's India's up and comer city. It feels worlds apart from Mumbai (not so different from Delhi or Calcutta though socially).

I think what helps North India is that we all watch either Hollywood or Bollywood both of which are culturally very westernized and modernizing, in a socially free way. Bollywood is just as if not more significant to India than even it's political government. Actors and actresses in India are the country's elites. In America, they're just entertainers, well known and viewed but politicians, business men, so on have more power.

In South India they have their own film industries-- Tollywood & Kollywood. Both of which are only regional draws.
Yes Varanasi/Benares seems to have a mystical aura/energy about it, being such a sacred sight to Hinduism. I've heard it's one of the oldest inhabited cities in the world, but was disappointed to learn most of the buildings date back to only the 18th century. Imagine seeing ghats 2,000+ years old! Apparently though they were fairly faithful to the ancient styles. Did you see a lot of dead bodies.etc in the Ganges? lol. I hear they just dump babies in there when they die, because of Hindu beliefs.

Bollywood must be a huge influence. Even in Sri Lanka there was a lot of Bollywood on TV. Btw have you been to Ceylon? How do you view the Sinhalese? Are they more like Northern or Southern Indians? Many came from Orissa state, and their history is linked to Buddhism.

Speaking of Buddhism, I know it's a minority religion in India now. If I may ask how did your family happen to be part Buddhist? Was it the influence of nearby Tibetan Buddhism? I learned a bit about it in Sri Lanka, it was interesting to be in a South Asian society that was predominantly Buddhists. I saw some old stupas more than 2,000 years old and the Temple of the Tooth in Kandy.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:35 PM

6,645 posts, read 8,408,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Imagine seeing ghats 2,000+ years old! Apparently though they were fairly faithful to the ancient styles. Did you see a lot of dead bodies.etc in the Ganges? lol.
All bodies are cremated and turned to ashes before being placed inside the Ganga River (in my part of India-- we call it Ganga, although the name has various ending extensions all around the country). Something I was personally to do (being the oldest "man" from my mothers bloodline that was able to go to India when my grandmother passed away in 2005).

We let the ashes go so they can reach eternal peace in the sacred river.
Quote:
Bollywood must be a huge influence. Even in Sri Lanka there was a lot of Bollywood on TV. Btw have you been to Ceylon? How do you view the Sinhalese? Are they more like Northern or Southern Indians? Many came from Orissa state, and their history is linked to Buddhism.
Bollywood actors and actresses are the very top of influence in India (along with Cricket players), someone like Amitabh Bachan or Aishwarya Rai are commonly more known throughout India than Indira Gandhi, Laxmi Mittal, or Manmohan Singh (politicians that run the country & businessmen that are "billionaires").

Bollywood have a forever impact on India, in some towns they've screened some movies for over 15 years like Sholay. It's India's pride and most prized cultural possession in terms of culture (aside from the religious ones).
Quote:
Speaking of Buddhism, I know it's a minority religion in India now. If I may ask how did your family happen to be part Buddhist? Was it the influence of nearby Tibetan Buddhism? I learned a bit about it in Sri Lanka, it was interesting to be in a South Asian society that was predominantly Buddhists. I saw some old stupas more than 2,000 years old and the Temple of the Tooth in Kandy.
My fathers family was traditionally Buddhist (until he himself changed over to Hinduism, as did his mother and sister-- his brother is still Buddhist), we are ancestral to the part of India from where Siddhartha Guatama is from, in our part of India there are many Chinese expats that also practice Buddhism. It's sort of cool meeting Chinese people that speak Hindi but also rare. Only met one guy like that in the United States-- he lives near my parents in Sugar Land and owns his own Indian restaurant.

A lot of India's historical architecture has been burned to the ground and rebuilt due to the invasions and control. Dating as far back as to the "kingdoms of India" where each state was it's own kingdom and those that did not ratify to join were left out-- Nepal was historically one from what I was told at a temple. It's a shame, in Hindu text the pictures and depictions of Banaras were ever so beautiful.
Quote:
Btw have you been to Ceylon? How do you view the Sinhalese? Are they more like Northern or Southern Indians? Many came from Orissa state, and their history is linked to Buddhism.
When I was a very young kid, my family took two trips that I barely remember one to Kathmandu (Nepal) and the other to Sri Lanka-- I cant recall anything at all from either but when I look at our family pictures I sort of have dazing memory of them. I cant speak on the culture of the places but all I remember from Sri Lanka is the Ketheeswaram Temple. We had to do a historical pilgrimage as a group through a rainforest and pray for different forms of life and the well being of our habitat before we could eat "preshad".

I'm going to scan up the family photos from Sri Lanka, Nepal, India and upload them to share with all of you sometime. Nepal & Sri Lanka are quite beautiful and "mystifying" countries in their own right.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
All bodies are cremated and turned to ashes before being placed inside the Ganga River (in my part of India-- we call it Ganga, although the name has various ending extensions all around the country). Something I was personally to do (being the oldest "man" from my mothers bloodline that was able to go to India when my grandmother passed away in 2005).

We let the ashes go so they can reach eternal peace in the sacred river.

Bollywood actors and actresses are the very top of influence in India (along with Cricket players), someone like Amitabh Bachan or Aishwarya Rai are commonly more known throughout India than Indira Gandhi, Laxmi Mittal, or Manmohan Singh (politicians that run the country & businessmen that are "billionaires").

Bollywood have a forever impact on India, in some towns they've screened some movies for over 15 years like Sholay. It's India's pride and most prized cultural possession in terms of culture (aside from the religious ones).

My fathers family was traditionally Buddhist (until he himself changed over to Hinduism, as did his mother and sister-- his brother is still Buddhist), we are ancestral to the part of India from where Siddhartha Guatama is from, in our part of India there are many Chinese expats that also practice Buddhism. It's sort of cool meeting Chinese people that speak Hindi but also rare. Only met one guy like that in the United States-- he lives near my parents in Sugar Land and owns his own Indian restaurant.

A lot of India's historical architecture has been burned to the ground and rebuilt due to the invasions and control. Dating as far back as to the "kingdoms of India" where each state was it's own kingdom and those that did not ratify to join were left out-- Nepal was historically one from what I was told at a temple. It's a shame, in Hindu text the pictures and depictions of Banaras were ever so beautiful.

When I was a very young kid, my family took two trips that I barely remember one to Kathmandu (Nepal) and the other to Sri Lanka-- I cant recall anything at all from either but when I look at our family pictures I sort of have dazing memory of them. I cant speak on the culture of the places but all I remember from Sri Lanka is the Ketheeswaram Temple. We had to do a historical pilgrimage as a group through a rainforest and pray for different forms of life and the well being of our habitat before we could eat "preshad".

I'm going to scan up the family photos from Sri Lanka, Nepal, India and upload them to share with all of you sometime. Nepal & Sri Lanka are quite beautiful and "mystifying" countries in their own right.
Is Buddhism still prevalent in southern Nepal/the border regions of India? I know Lumbini, the Buddha's birthplace, has a large community, as well as other sites associated with Siddhartha, and Buddhists from the world over have converged, built temples/monasteries and worship there. I do like the coming together of different nations aspect of it.

I think they don't cremate babies because, I forgot the reason, I think babies are said to be more pure or something. They just wrap them up and throw them in. It is amazing that more people don't get sick from bathing in the Ganges/Ganga, in 'Wild India' they said there was some property of the water that helped purify it.

Bollywood may be formulaic but it can be fun to watch. I've only seen a few movies, most of then seem to star that Khan dude, haha. I recently saw Ashoka, about the Indian king/Emperor. It was a bit too Bollywood to me, and the leading girl, Kareena Kapoor, was just too pale and wasn't that attractive imo.

I do like how Indian pop music retains a more Indian style than say K-pop or J-pop which is just like western music in Korean/Japanese. Heck a lot of songs include a lot of English.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Is Buddhism still prevalent in southern Nepal/the border regions of India? I know Lumbini, the Buddha's birthplace, has a large community, as well as other sites associated with Siddhartha, and Buddhists from the world over have converged, built temples/monasteries and worship there. I do like the coming together of different nations aspect of it.
Yeahh there are decent sized Buddhist communities there but it's fading away and by fading I mean more people are being born to Hinduism, Jainism, and Islam nowadays.
Quote:
I think they don't cremate babies because, I forgot the reason, I think babies are said to be more pure or something. They just wrap them up and throw them in. It is amazing that more people don't get sick from bathing in the Ganges/Ganga, in 'Wild India' they said there was some property of the water that helped purify it.
I've also heard this about the babies before but I never knew the reason. Which makes me curious, I'm going to have to ask my mother why they do this for babies.
Quote:
Bollywood may be formulaic but it can be fun to watch. I've only seen a few movies, most of then seem to star that Khan dude, haha. I recently saw Ashoka, about the Indian king/Emperor. It was a bit too Bollywood to me, and the leading girl, Kareena Kapoor, was just too pale and wasn't that attractive imo.
You know oddly, back in 2002 my father knew a few people in Bollywood so when they came to Houston for a tour & concert-- he invited over the entire Lagan team (Lagan was a popular Indian movie from the early 2000's. He stays in contact with them via Yahoo messenger.

My uncle is also a major politician in India, he was home minister for the state of Utter Pradesh and now he's apart of some national political party called VJP or something of that sort, his daughter (my cousin) has met Kareena Kapoor, she says that Kareena is a boring sl*t. My uncle when he came to visit us in Houston visited Aishwarya Rai's brother who lives in some mega-Indian neighborhood called "New Territory", the guy is a doctor or something like that. Aishwarya apparently visits him quite often here in America but less so since getting married.

Oh Shah Rukh Khan, I used to like his acting when I was a kid but not so much anymore. I prefer John Abraham, Ajay Devgan, Salman Khan (my dads bought a pair of Sun Glass Hutt glasses for the guy when the Lagan team came over to my place in the early 2000's-- dude wears like $600 sunglasses like every day).

I'm more of a fan of Katrina Kaif, Priyanka Chopra, and Susmita Sen myself.

One of my favorite movies from Bollywood actually took place in Melbourne-- Salaam Namaste. Great movie, it's on Netflix too.

I've also really liked Don (took place in Kuala Lumpur and sequel in Singapore & Europe). I've got a list of movies that I like but ultimately they're all action ones like Awarapan (took place in Hong Kong), Fight Club, Dhoom 2 (took place in Rio de Janeiro & Mumbai), so on.
Quote:
I do like how Indian pop music retains a more Indian style than say K-pop or J-pop which is just like western music in Korean/Japanese. Heck a lot of songs include a lot of English.
I like some of the Indian songs, the beats are quite nice even though most of the time I'm not into the lyrics. I speak Hindi fluently and understand it to a T. I wish I didn't sometimes, the lyrics just get boring with the same romance type stuff.

I like this song from Awarapan:

Annie - Mahiya (Remix) Awarapan (Hindi Movie Song) - YouTube

Sometimes, it makes me miss living in Asia. I'd really like to be out of the United States soon, possibly Seoul, Hong Kong, Mumbai, Singapore, London, Melbourne, or Kuala Lumpur. I've been to all of them besides Seoul and loved all of them a lot but Washington is treating me great-- I love this city but it's America as a whole that I feel I'm outgrowing. My mom is actually moving to Singapore to join my dad there when my little brother goes off the college after this semester (his last one in high school). She's left the invite ready for me but sometimes I have a lot of deep thoughts about life here in Washington, my second favorite American city (being close to my first-- New York) and a life I haven't lived in over a decade and a half with Singapore.

My brothers excited, he'll have the Houston house all to himself when he comes back home for the weekends or holidays from his college (most probably in Austin).

I've been soul searching all my life, I thought I finally found peace when I moved to Washington but it turns out it was temporary, the city's been nothing but great to me but I'm losing my fascination with America so quickly.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 01-20-2013 at 09:01 PM..

Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Yeahh there are decent sized Buddhist communities there but it's fading away and by fading I mean more people are being born to Hinduism, Jainism, and Islam nowadays.

I've also heard this about the babies before but I never knew the reason. Which makes me curious, I'm going to have to ask my mother why they do this for babies.

You know oddly, back in 2002 my father knew a few people in Bollywood so when they came to Houston for a tour & concert-- he invited over the entire Lagan team (Lagan was a popular Indian movie from the early 2000's. He stays in contact with them via Yahoo messenger.

My uncle is also a major politician in India, he was home minister for the state of Utter Pradesh and now he's apart of some national political party called VJP or something of that sort, his daughter (my cousin) has met Kareena Kapoor, she says that Kareena is a boring sl*t. My uncle when he came to visit us in Houston visited Aishwarya Rai's brother who lives in some mega-Indian neighborhood called "New Territory", the guy is a doctor or something like that. Aishwarya apparently visits him quite often here in America but less so since getting married.

Oh Shah Rukh Khan, I used to like his acting when I was a kid but not so much anymore. I prefer John Abraham, Ajay Devgan, Salman Khan (my dads bought a pair of Sun Glass Hutt glasses for the guy when the Lagan team came over to my place in the early 2000's-- dude wears like $600 sunglasses like every day).

I'm more of a fan of Katrina Kaif, Priyanka Chopra, and Susmita Sen myself.

One of my favorite movies from Bollywood actually took place in Melbourne-- Salaam Namaste. Great movie, it's on Netflix too.

I've also really liked Don (took place in Kuala Lumpur and sequel in Singapore & Europe). I've got a list of movies that I like but ultimately they're all action ones like Awarapan (took place in Hong Kong), Fight Club, Dhoom 2 (took place in Rio de Janeiro & Mumbai), so on.

I like some of the Indian songs, the beats are quite nice even though most of the time I'm not into the lyrics. I speak Hindi fluently and understand it to a T. I wish I didn't sometimes, the lyrics just get boring with the same romance type stuff.

I like this song from Awarapan:

Annie - Mahiya (Remix) Awarapan (Hindi Movie Song) - YouTube

Sometimes, it makes me miss living in Asia. I'd really like to be out of the United States soon, possibly Seoul, Hong Kong, Mumbai, Singapore, London, Melbourne, or Kuala Lumpur. I've been to all of them besides Seoul and loved all of them a lot but Washington is treating me great-- I love this city but it's America as a whole that I feel I'm outgrowing. My mom is actually moving to Singapore to join my dad there when my little brother goes off the college after this semester (his last one in high school). She's left the invite ready for me but sometimes I have a lot of deep thoughts about life here in Washington, my second favorite American city (being close to my first-- New York) and a life I haven't lived in over a decade and a half with Singapore.

My brothers excited, he'll have the Houston house all to himself when he comes back home for the weekends or holidays from his college (most probably in Austin).

I've been soul searching all my life, I thought I finally found peace when I moved to Washington but it turns out it was temporary, the city's been nothing but great to me but I'm losing my fascination with America so quickly.
I hope most Bollywood stars aren't like her, then again it's hard to judge a person on just one meeting. But I admit I don't think that highly of most Hollywood celebs, I'm sure many are great people though, but no better than anyone else.

Yes, Shah Rukh Khan. I've seen a few films, this one I don't remember the name of where he plays a Sikh in Amritsar and pretends to be his 'arch nemesis', My Name is Khan, Ashoka, probably a couple of others..haven't really seen that many Indian films. Monsoon Wedding was really good, really touching. Can you recommend some good Bollywood films that aren't too cheesy? lol. I do like foreign films because they often have more original/realistic plots than the usual American fare.

The interesting thing about Singapore is that you have movies in Mandarin, Hokkien, Cantonese, Malay, Tamil, Hindi, Gujarati, English all shot in the city for their respective audiences, so you see a 'different' Singapore each time. Little India really does feel like a slice of India - sort of, I've never been to India but Sri Lanka is somewhat similar.

Good song...if it's not too much trouble recommend me some good Indian music too! lol. Yeah all fascinating cities, it would depend more on the country, I think. Living in Seoul would be interesting but you'd have to get used to living in Korea. Personally, there are cities I'd love to live in like Istanbul, Copenhagen, Florence, Barcelona, Quebec City, Buenos Aires, Lima, Quito, Suzhou or Kyoto but it would require a lot of adjustment. The place you live is a huge aspect of your life but it's just one aspect nonetheless, although i've lived in Perth (the same house for over 22 years) basically my whole life so I crave a new environment, and totally get where you're coming from. I'm planning to move to Melbourne soon, maybe you should consider Australia? lol

Old 01-21-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
I hope most Bollywood stars aren't like her, then again it's hard to judge a person on just one meeting. But I admit I don't think that highly of most Hollywood celebs, I'm sure many are great people though, but no better than anyone else.
In America the Hollywood celebrities are just normal people with an overly glamorous job. Many of them realize in the country's pecking order they're just "average" or "above average"-- the likes of Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Michael Bloomberg, hell most film directors and producers themselves have more authority than the actors and actresses to say nothing of the politicians, businessmen, leaders, entrepreneurs, and several others of high categorized occupations. If they're not an A-lister then they're just an average person with an over exposed job making slightly more than the average American. In Los Angeles, competition is fierce, the top dogs survive and get an immense amount of everything the A-listers like Will Smith, Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Natalie Portman, Nicolas Cage, Robert DeNiro, Jennifer Aniston, Robert Downey Jr., Eva Mendez, so on. They've got status however they're still normal people just with an overly large salary but the common celebrity is just a common guy-- the ones with large egos end up being the butt of jokes. In America, the main thing is there are those that create their careers from exposure due to film & television but there are also those that create their careers from putting those people back in line with the rest of the population, people like Steven Colbert, Bill Maher, Jay Leno, so on. In India, that doesn't exist, those in Bollywood have almost an unlimited amount of power and influence with no one to stop them or remind them that they're there to ultimately showcase for their fans for entertainment and not run the country's tabloids, culture, politics (some like Govinda have branched into politics as well), and so on.

There is no superficial "checks and balances" in India.
Quote:
Yes, Shah Rukh Khan. I've seen a few films, this one I don't remember the name of where he plays a Sikh in Amritsar and pretends to be his 'arch nemesis', My Name is Khan, Ashoka, probably a couple of others..haven't really seen that many Indian films. Monsoon Wedding was really good, really touching. Can you recommend some good Bollywood films that aren't too cheesy? lol. I do like foreign films because they often have more original/realistic plots than the usual American fare.
What genre of films do you mostly prefer?

For me, I'm more of a mystery, action & thriller, sometimes romance kind of person.
Quote:
The interesting thing about Singapore is that you have movies in Mandarin, Hokkien, Cantonese, Malay, Tamil, Hindi, Gujarati, English all shot in the city for their respective audiences, so you see a 'different' Singapore each time. Little India really does feel like a slice of India - sort of, I've never been to India but Sri Lanka is somewhat similar.
Culturally I've always felt Singapore is poised for a unique identity. It's at the crossroads of so many cultures and it just needs to utilize them and use them to it's advantage-- it's done incredible with it's culinary scene. Singapore is one of the best known cities in the world but it still goes sort of under the radar quite a bit internationally.

It could be a major player in the entertainment industry (more so than it is now) if it invests a bit more into it and gets some of it's own unique projects up in the air. I have no doubts that it will succeed.

One thing it needs to work on is to shave some of it's "corporate" image off. Singapore from my experience is a very robotic place, there's an attitude of monotonous behavior there-- as in people are largely very reserved and go about their day independently. I feel it could use more of an open environment as well. My friend whose in Singapore National University for music has also felt the same thing, the city is incredibly fun but it needs to get a sense of hustle and bustle to portray it more so. It needs to come out of it's shell a bit more.
Quote:
Good song...if it's not too much trouble recommend me some good Indian music too! lol. Yeah all fascinating cities, it would depend more on the country, I think. Living in Seoul would be interesting but you'd have to get used to living in Korea. Personally, there are cities I'd love to live in like Istanbul, Copenhagen, Florence, Barcelona, Quebec City, Buenos Aires, Lima, Quito, Suzhou or Kyoto but it would require a lot of adjustment. The place you live is a huge aspect of your life but it's just one aspect nonetheless, although i've lived in Perth (the same house for over 22 years) basically my whole life so I crave a new environment, and totally get where you're coming from. I'm planning to move to Melbourne soon, maybe you should consider Australia? lol
Istanbul is a very beautiful city, I'm immediately fascinated by it-- which is odd for me because I always give preference to modern cities to historical ones but the vibrancy there, urban environment, culture, food, sites seem all too welcoming. I feel this way about Turkey's second tier cities too: Antalya, Izmir, & to a lesser extent Ankara. Turkey is definitely a country on the come up.

Those narrow whirling streets, that packed atmosphere, that density, that history-- one of the oldest cities in the world, man Istanbul is all too alluring.

I've always had a favorable opinion of Australia, it's my second favorite country after the United States. What I see critically of it is Sydney, while I think it's a beautiful and cosmopolitan and interesting city-- I find the much more under the radar but very beautiful Melbourne to be even more interesting. All my friends think I'm insane because to them Sydney tops all but to me I could live in Melbourne for sure-- it's one of my top 10 favorite cities in all of the world and it's one that I absolutely cherish and love. Love every single last thing about the place. Sydney to me is more of a place to go and see, I've never had it register to me for living in and I cant explain why either but one thing about me is that I'm also very much into under the radar places-- like Osaka, Seoul, Izmir, Nice, so on.

Yeah for sure, first one is from my favorite Bollywood movie (36 Chinatown). Second one is from an Indian horror movie (Kaal).

Aashiqui Mein Teri Jaayegi Jaan Meri - 36 China Town - Shahid & Kareena - Full Song - YouTube

Kaal Dhamaal - Shahrukh Khan - YouTube

Yuva -- Fanaa - YouTube

Try some of these out, let me know which types of songs you like. Romance, fast beat, playing off instrumental, so on.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:01 AM

Yeah the movie stars seem really huge in India but isn't it the same in America? I mean Ronald Reagan became president, how much more can a country worship it's celebrities? I think stars everywhere have big egos, and Indian stars are also as much 'victims' of the system as Hollywood stars.

Anything that isn't boring...or too symbolic/oblique...I don't mind romances, as long as they're not too melodramatic. I do know Indians tend to like the saccharine - whether it be in their desserts or their movies, lol.

I agree. I think Singapore's unique cultural identity isn't plauded enough. It's basically where all of Asia comes together. It's far more than the ethnic Chinese majority, and even they are so different to actual Chinese people in China. I think it's unique mix is it's own creation, Hainanese chicken rice or Rojak are unique creations, not just 'Chinese' or 'Indian' food, they're Singaporean food. I'm proud to be a part of that heritage.

I agree the culture is still a bit too corporate and work-obsessed, I guess that's partly a by-product of the role Singapore had to take to become what it is today. There's a lot of competition because it's a meritocracy that rewards talent, not giving privileges to any group because of birth. What do you mean 'hustle and bustle', I feel it's crowded/busy as it is, in fact I often find the crowds stressful walking through some of the shopping malls, connecting tunnels, in the MRT.etc.

Istanbul is one of the most fascinated cities in the world. It's location, scenery, unique historical architecture, historical legacy, the vibrant and exotic Turkish culture. I plan to visit very soon, have you been?

Yes Melbourne has so much to offer...it's packaging isn't as sexy as Sydney, but under the surface I find it a more rewarding city, but it's about preferences. It's not as iconic a city as Sydney so I don't expect Americans to be drawn to it. It's often compared to Montreal and Seattle.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:28 AM

208 posts, read 224,320 times
Quote:
Good song...if it's not too much trouble recommend me some good Indian music too!
I really don't see how that song is different from all those western trashy dance songs

IMO, Japan has always had the a diverse music scene that encompasses rock, pop, electronica, jazz, blues and classical acts. For example, there was the popular band named "Yellow Magic Orchestra" during the late 1970s to early 1980s. They experimented with different styles of electronic music, such as Asian melodies played over synthpop backings.

YMO PROPAGANDA Tong Poo - YouTube

Here is another Japanese style electronica.

Daishi Dance feat. Yoshida Brothers Renovation

Personally, I hate seeing young males or females dance and all sing harmony to a trashy pop songs, but that would be the case in English or any other language.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:25 PM

22,427 posts, read 23,942,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsuleneo View Post
I really don't see how that song is different from all those western trashy dance songs

IMO, Japan has always had the a diverse music scene that encompasses rock, pop, electronica, jazz, blues and classical acts. For example, there was the popular band named "Yellow Magic Orchestra" during the late 1970s to early 1980s. They experimented with different styles of electronic music, such as Asian melodies played over synthpop backings.

YMO PROPAGANDA Tong Poo - YouTube

Here is another Japanese style electronica.

Daishi Dance feat. Yoshida Brothers Renovation

Personally, I hate seeing young males or females dance and all sing harmony to a trashy pop songs, but that would be the case in English or any other language.
Yea, Japan's music scene is pretty interesting. It's kind of weird that with all that eclecticism, the sort of pop that is dominant is so uber formulaic and saccharine.

India has a lot of awesome music, but it's really hard to wade through the amount of crap that goes with it. There's just much too much.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:19 AM

1,959 posts, read 958,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Haha, that's a good description. I go there for business and that is pretty much what it is, at least in Delhi and the metropolitan area. The outsourced office where I work smells of curry and body odor. You can't walk around outside because you literally take your life in your hand just crossing the street. You will get sick in India - yeah that is fairly accurate for most people. The sun always covered by a yellow layer of dust and smog. Can't argue with that. Cows and in the streets, piles of trash, people defacating in the river and a few feet away people bathing in it. Horse and ox driven vehicles, and auto-ricksaws by the tens of thousands (with the odd Elephant now and then). Beggers, touts. It's all part of India.

However I have also seen some beautiful sites - The Taj, Japour, and somehow the earthy anything goes feeling of India grows on you. I will be there once again in 8 days. Should be a fun time and I am looking forward to it, as much as I will be looking forward to coming home after my trip.
I was born and grew up in India for a quarter century. Every time I go there i ma sickened by the trash and filth and the lack of hygiene. I am astounded how people like to keep the house clean but have no qualms about just dumping the trash on the street.

And yet, a week or so later I start to look beyond it and accept it for what it is . And then see the wonderful culture and architecture. As an amateur photographer I find it fascinating place to practice my craft. take the chaotic traffic, power outages and human swarms in my stride. It is difficult to explain but the country grips you with a week or two. When I come back I find US clean, sterile and boring.

Indian is not a great place for tourists who want to visit it for a week or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or