U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 02:20 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times

Advertisements

India and Japan and among the most influential Asian nations (both throughout and outside of Asia), yet as places to visit, they receive a mere 6 and 7 million tourists annually respectively. India receives about the same number as Vietnam, and Japan only slightly more, but even less than South Korea which gets 10 million a year!

Japan is more easy to figure out, cost, but still, given the huge amount of interest in Japan and the weak yen making it not AS expensive as some think, it seems it still lags a lot behind China and Southeast Asia. It seems a lot of Western tourists like warm weather and beaches and sunshine, which Japan isn't known for, although it does boast beaches I think it's wet warm season probably doesn't work in it's favour. The perception of expense and a lack of that beach type holiday is probably why it doesn't get that many. The majority of tourists are not cultural tourists but those wanting a cheap package vacation.

I think Chinese and SE Asian tourists are also scared off of the expense of visiting. SE Asia has many other nearby countries to visit, and the Chinese flock to the tropical south during their winter.

India is pretty surprising. It gets a 1/10th the tourists of China, yet for me is equally fascinating and diverse. It is because people are scared off by it being third world/the poverty/chaos? Is the tourist infrastructure quite poor/under-developed? It says the US and UK have the most visitors to India, which sort of surprises me since geographically the US is so far away. I wonder how many East Asian tourists visit India?

My next Asian trip, after Europe and South America, will be to India and Japan. I actually find these countries more interesting to visit than say Thailand, but it's just far easier in terms of cost.etc to visit Thailand.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:44 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,668,250 times
I've been to both.

Japan is just too costly. I went to Disneysea and almost all visitors are Japanese. I didn't understand a thing in some of their shows or rides, as there was no English translation. Everything is super clean and it is super safe. I still love it! However, the recent Sendai earthquake is probably what discouraged most people from visiting. I think the number of visitors will increase next year as long as there are no earthquakes. I am hoping to visit again next year :-)

I find India to be too crowded with poor tourist infrastructure. I may still go back in the future as I have not been to the Taj Mahal yet. I consider myself not easily offended. Public urination in Paris, San Francisco or Manila is unpleasant but not very much a big deal to me. But in India, there is actually public defecation which I find extremely offensive.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I've been to both.

Japan is just too costly. I went to Disneysea and almost all visitors are Japanese. I didn't understand a thing in some of their shows or rides, as there was no English translation. Everything is super clean and it is super safe. I still love it! However, the recent Sendai earthquake is probably what discouraged most people from visiting. I think the number of visitors will increase next year as long as there are no earthquakes. I am hoping to visit again next year :-)

I find India to be too crowded with poor tourist infrastructure. I may still go back in the future as I have not been to the Taj Mahal yet. I consider myself not easily offended. Public urination in Paris, San Francisco or Manila is unpleasant but not very much a big deal to me. But in India, there is actually public defecation which I find extremely offensive.
So many of the attractions are not accessible for non-Japanese speakers? Man I really regret not paying attention during Japanese class . Although it seemed we spent more time learning about Japanese through watching videos than actually learning the language lmao.

Yeah that sort of stuff goes on in India. Recently returned from Sri Lanka and found it wasn't all that dirty. I suspect India is worse.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:33 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,765,000 times
not all western countries are the same, trimac. japan might not be a popular destination for australians and europeans, but more americans and canadians go to japan than any country in southeast asia. japan has long been the most popular country in asia for americans, maybe china has surpassed it in recent years (altho not according to this list Countries American Visit Most ).

Old 12-26-2012, 02:55 PM

Interesting, that would mean a significant chunk of foreign tourists to Japan are Americans. I guess it makes geographical sense, since a flight from San Francisco to Tokyo is about 11 hours, which is actually similar to a flight from Melbourne to Tokyo. In contrast, Perth to Bangkok is about 6 hours, versus Bangkok to Los Angeles which is 17 hours!

Old 12-26-2012, 10:35 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
I see tourists all the time throughout Japan. Whereas, when I was in Korea, I akways assumed any foreigner was either us military or an English teacher.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I see tourists all the time throughout Japan. Whereas, when I was in Korea, I akways assumed any foreigner was either us military or an English teacher.
Maybe that 10 million figure includes a lot of Asian tourists, who are harder to tell apart?

I've not heard of S.Korea being much of a tourist destination.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:08 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,765,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Maybe that 10 million figure includes a lot of Asian tourists, who are harder to tell apart?

I've not heard of S.Korea being much of a tourist destination.
Korea, Monthly Statistics of Tourism | key facts on toursim | Tourism Statistics

79.8% of foreign tourists in korea come from "east asia and pacific"

29.6% come from japan.

32.7% come from china (incl hk and taiwan)

6.3% come from US

7.3% come from europe

1% from australia

Old 12-27-2012, 08:31 AM

208 posts, read 222,560 times
As you say, foreign travelers are mainly put off by how expensive Japan is. A lunch at a restaurant can coast as much as $30. Many foreign tourists also find Japan to be too complicated to figure out. They are intimidated by the language barrier and fears about etiquette faux pax. Also it should be noted that the Japanese government has long neglected investment in tourism. For many years Japanese were not too concerned that foreign tourists didnít come to Japan because tourism was regarded as an industry poor countries developed to earn money. In many ways Japan didn't want tourists from the less developed countries because they were worried about attracting illegal foreign workers.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsuleneo View Post
As you say, foreign travelers are mainly put off by how expensive Japan is. A lunch at a restaurant can coast as much as $30. Many foreign tourists also find Japan to be too complicated to figure out. They are intimidated by the language barrier and fears about etiquette faux pax. Also it should be noted that the Japanese government has long neglected investment in tourism. For many years Japanese were not too concerned that foreign tourists didnít come to Japan because tourism was regarded as an industry poor countries developed to earn money. In many ways Japan didn't want tourists from the less developed countries because they were worried about attracting illegal foreign workers.

Strange, since France is the most visited country in the world. I guess they mean more a dependence on tourism. Still, they could've seen Singapore and Hong Kong, which both get about twice the number of tourists that Japan does (despite being mere cities)...then again, Japan is very different from those two cities, which have been very international. It strikes me as being very traditional, it's basically impossible to get Japanese citizenship, along with Korea it seems one of the most exclusionary countries in Asia. I think that's one think which stops Tokyo be a truly global city in one sense, it lacks the diversity and amount of people from around the world coming in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or