U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 12:15 PM

145 posts, read 442,914 times

Advertisements

I am very interested in purchasing a vacation villa in Koh Samui. I absolutely loved the place when I vacationed there, and found it to be very peaceful and relaxing.
I was wondering if I might be able to purchase a villa that would be all inclusive. Meaning, I would pay for all the association fees, but all of the maintenance work would be taken care of. I am also looking for a villa that is right on the beach. I am also interested in the villa including maid service daily, spa/massage services, chef services, yoga classes and a gated community. I saw some very nice properties when I was down there last, but don't know if all I have listed would be available for purchase?Again, loved Thailand and LOVED Koh Samui, and would love any help as far as where I might look to check out a property that might include all of these amenities as a purchase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 03:42 PM

5,115 posts, read 8,101,127 times
If by "Villa", you mean buying house with land, it's worth noting that foreigners can not legally buy property in Thailand. The exception are condos which foreigners can buy. One way that's sort of around the land purchase matter is if you have a Thai spouse (a citizen), but then she would be considered the sole legal owner of the property, not you.

There are expats who own a certain amount of land, but they retain that under a grandfather clause in that they purchased the land decades ago before the laws changed. They would not be able to purchase any additional land now. Regardless, I don't think they actually own the land, but rather married a Thai, have had children, and put the land in the children's name as the legal owners. That loophole has been closed though.

A number of years ago the Tourism Authority of Thailand tried to kick off a special program for foreigners who are wealthy and have money to burn which included various perks such as legal ownership of up to 5 rai of land. The cost to join the program was outrageous. I can't remember off hand what the cost was, but a million dollars seems to come to mind for the one-time membership fee. The TAT seemed to think the program would bring in all sorts of big money people. A few were attracted and took advantage of it, but the program ended up as a big flop and pretty much went bust for the lack of interest. I have no idea if the membership perks are still honored or not though for those who bought into it.

Added note:
Evidently the "Elite Card" program has been revived, but it's running at a loss with a little over 2500 members since its inception. Cost is about 2 million baht (which is a little less that $67,000). Perks have been changed or reduced from the original. I'd still consider it to be a big failure though. Not sure it the property buying perk is still available though.

Also, I posted several links some time ago regarding the legal aspects of property ownership in Thailand by foreigners. No can do. Send me a direct message if you're interested in the info.

Last edited by NightBazaar; 12-29-2012 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: Update

Old 12-29-2012, 06:46 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,907,710 times
NB, my bro-in-law bought property under the elite program several years ago.
The program changed tremendously and wasn't worth the investment

Dr. Vox, I'd do a lot of research on your idea to buy at Samui.
Look at the infrastructure and waste and sewage disposal.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
NB, my bro-in-law bought property under the elite program several years ago.
The program changed tremendously and wasn't worth the investment
The only point to the card is for status of proving you can afford it. That's about it. I don't think a plastic card is worth the price. As an investment, how much of a return is there? Little to none. 2500+ members since it originally began a number of years ago is a pretty poor showing for the cost to promote the program, pay the people who work for it, etc. I suspect it'll continue to failing to attract any significant interest. The latest projection is for declining numbers in new members each year over the next seversl years. How's that again?

I think when it first began it allowed for a non-expiring visa. That's changed. You don't have to make visa runs, but that's hardly a major perk. For the amount the card costs, and any annual fees, you could probably cover the visa expense for about 1000 years. LOL! I'm pretty sure the real estate perk has either been dropped or has made a big reduction in land size. It has limo service from the airport. Sounds flashy until you realize it's just a free van ride.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:46 AM

He's a golfer and got membership privileges at most of the golf courses around BKK & environs.

It also provided the non-expiring visa and the ability to purchase land.

Each year, the benefits dwindled.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
He's a golfer and got membership privileges at most of the golf courses around BKK & environs.

It also provided the non-expiring visa and the ability to purchase land.

Each year, the benefits dwindled.
I'll send you an interesting link on the subject rather than get too far off course with the thread. The Elite Card, now called the Thailand Privilege Card (TPC), has never been all it was or is cracked up to be. As you mentioned earlier, it has changed. It's doubled in price and annual fees, and offers fewer perks. I'm not sure mean by "non-expiring visa".

Old 12-31-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I'll send you an interesting link on the subject rather than get too far off course with the thread. The Elite Card, now called the Thailand Privilege Card (TPC), has never been all it was or is cracked up to be. As you mentioned earlier, it has changed. It's doubled in price and annual fees, and offers fewer perks. I'm not sure mean by "non-expiring visa".
Basically a residence visa.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,668 times
Hi there Dr. Vox.

Should you decide to make the move and purchase that dream villa here in Thailand, I would be glad to help.
I made the move myself 2 years ago and I am very happy here.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:43 AM

56 posts, read 100,725 times
Koh Samui?
What other places did you try?
I kinda prefer Pattaya.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:44 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,811,231 times
Just a word of advice: many foreigners purchase houses via a Thai company or corporation. Usually, there's no problem, but the law actually prohibits these schemes for owning land. Caveat Emptor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia