U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 04:23 PM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,063,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tiger View Post
I think Bahrain is fine so far. We get briefings on demonstrations and locations not to go to so just avoid those and it seems fine on the surface there there's still tons of Saudis and Westermers heading across the causeway to party on the weekends.

Doha/Qatar has a ton of money and I believe has the highest per capita income in the world with reserves to sustain them for quite some time. They are ramping up everywhere you look and plan to open their new airport next month (BTW, Qatar Airways is fabulous). In terms of restricting alcohol consumption, non-Islamic activities, etc. they seem to be somewhere in between U.A.E. relative liberalism and Saudi conservatism.

Yeah UAE is the best in the Middle East and that includes both Abu Dhabi & Dubai...I know guys that prefer Abu Dhabi to Dubai.
Other than the glitz, ostentatious opulence, and skyscrapers, I don't find it attractive at all, pretty much a soulless place (ok I'm being presumptuous since I haven't been there). I'd say Lebanon, pre-turmoil Syria, Jordan, Turkey are better than UAE in many ways. The Emiratis may look wealthy and modern, but they are still very conservative in their worldview and religious outlook.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:51 PM

376 posts, read 556,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Other than the glitz, ostentatious opulence, and skyscrapers, I don't find it attractive at all, pretty much a soulless place (ok I'm being presumptuous since I haven't been there). I'd say Lebanon, pre-turmoil Syria, Jordan, Turkey are better than UAE in many ways. The Emiratis may look wealthy and modern, but they are still very conservative in their worldview and religious outlook.
Of course if you consider Turkey Middle East, then yes much better than anywhere in the Gulf area. I've heard good things about Lebanon & Jordan but haven't been yet so I would only say that the job opportunities are better in Dubai and you can also have a decent life there as well.

BTW Kyh I saw your blog....very nice.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:23 AM
kyh

383 posts, read 1,063,795 times
Quote:
Of course if you consider Turkey Middle East, then yes much better than anywhere in the Gulf area. I've heard good things about Lebanon & Jordan but haven't been yet so I would only say that the job opportunities are better in Dubai and you can also have a decent life there as well.
Turkey has always been in the ME. I personally think it fits in there than say, Europe.

Job opportunities wise, then UAE no doubt. But I heard there's strong racial discrimination in the workforce, extremely favouring whites and their own over others.

Lebanon and Syria have a very big Christian community, and that's a plus on diversity. And they have a very rich history and heritage - from the Roman periods, the Byzantines, the Arab Caliphates, the Crusades, the Colonial era, and all the way to the modern age. UAE just lacks all these cultural, historical attractions. Before the oil boom, it was basically a poor, forgotten desert wasteland.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:28 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,367,851 times
Oman is developing rapidly, and may pass them all. It is a model of benign monarchy, is diversifying out of a dependence on oil, replacing foreign guest workers (less than a quarter of the residents) with Omanis, and developing a tourism industry with it's beautiful Indian Ocean beaches.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-08-2013 at 05:39 PM..

Old 01-10-2013, 02:41 PM

131 posts, read 438,481 times
I used to live in the UAE and love the country. I've been to all the other Gulf States. I'm a civil libertarian at heart and had to pinch my nose pretty hard. All countries in the region are guilty of ethnic stereotyping and gender stereotyping. They have all (accept Saudi) come a long ways, but bad habits are hard to break.

If you go to gender equality, discretely watch an Emiratee family. The ten year old boy orders his mother around and she defers. How can such a culture learn gender equality?

The nationals suffer the problems associated with "spoiled rich kids." The older generation remembers when they were pearl fisherman and had nothing. Look at a picture of Dubai in 1970, the locals didn't even have shoes. They want to give their kids everything and because of this, their children can't do anything wrong.
They haven't developed the needed work ethic.

Sheikh Zayed was the rare and super notable exception, but most of their leaders have no notion how to look at the long term. They are spending a fortune on education but don't empower their educators to fail students who don't perform. Everyone gets MBAs in the countries, but no one has ever worked as an intern. Their families then use wafsta to get them jobs as managers when they don't have a clue how to manage things. They talk about domesticating various professions and making them foreigner free zones, but they don't educate their population for this and don't think things out. For example, they declared that all secretaries had to be Emiratees. Business is done in English and very few of them had good enough English for the job. More importantly, very few of them were willing to work the long hours people expected of secretaries. That plan died in two months.

They declared that all lawyers who do anything other than foreign legal consultation had to be Emiratees, but they didn't have the law schools in place, had no training about how to cross-examine witnesses, or to defend a case. I wasn't practicing when I lived there but was introduced to an Emiratee lawyer (a very committed individual) who didn't have the first idea about how to challenge bad police procedures. I taught him everything I could about the test and ultimately referred him to a program (which he attended) in Montreal designed to teach lawyers from around the world how to cross-examine witnesses and be an adversary. This guy was obviously a criminal lawyer and had the makings of being a good one but their system had not properly trained their lawyers and then they created a system of inbreeding the bad habits.

In sum, despite their glitz, high end toys, and superficial sophistication, these are "teenaged countries" that make the mistakes of teenagers. I think the problem is true in all these countries. Doha would be number two pick. Bahrain feels like a small Abu Dhabi, but the Sunni/Shia problems infect too many things.

Kuwait has some potential for being better in education and civil rights, but it has Saudi fundamentalist on one side and Iraqi problems on the other. I think the country is too fragile. They tried (for example) to create one coed school int he country. This was the pet project of a prominent member of the royal family, but the public outcry made them pull back.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:07 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,218,676 times
Looks like I might be able to visit the region shortly. I'll try to follow-up this thread, with my own perceptions of it later.

I'll be going to the UAE. But, I might try to visit a couple other countries, if possible. Maybe Qatar and Oman. Possibly Kuwait or Bahrain as well.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
UAE
Kuwait
Bahrain-Same as Qatar
Qatar-Not much tourism, Income is pretty much oil, no diversification, worst equality for citizens out of all the nation
This is interesting. I just came from visiting UAE, Qatar, and Oman.

I quickly placed Qatar at the bottom of those three. Interesting to see Kuwait and Bahrain placed above it. I definitely enjoyed visiting the Gulf region and it just made me more interested in the region.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I'm currently working in Saudi and have worked in Kuwait and Dubai and just came back from Doha. Here is how I would rate them:

1. UAE - you can maintain a Westerm lifestyle pretty-much.
2. Bahrain - Just a smaller version of UAE I would say. Not a bad place to party if you're stuck in Saudi and near the causeway (I am).
3. Qatar - I give Qatar edge over Kuwait because you can drink legally in Qatar.
4. Kuwait - a nicer version of Saudi but still no booze, pork, or non-Muslim religion.
Well, I really liked UAE a lot, so that means I'd probably enjoy Bahrain as well than.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,464,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, I really liked UAE a lot, so that means I'd probably enjoy Bahrain as well than.
What were your favourite things about the UAE? How impressive was the Burj Khalifa up close?

Old 03-27-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What were your favourite things about the UAE? How impressive was the Burj Khalifa up close?
Burj Khalifa is gorgeous, as is the setting all around it. It's just a very peaceful place to relax day or night, with some amazing other architecture all around as well. They built a great area to just 'hang out' outside of the Burj Khalifa. Everytime I went there, I quickly and easily spent a few hours just outside of it, soaking up the great atmosphere.

Mostly I liked the very international and cosmpolitan feel of Dubai. Intoxicating mix of all kinds of cultures, people, and food. I ate Iranian food, Iraqi food, Afghan food, multiple regional foods from India, Lebanese food (a few times, probably my favorite) and on and on. I'd love to taste more Middle Eastern food in general.

Great for people-watching. All kinds of clothing are allowed. So you'll see the muslim garb, but not all muslim women are wearing it. Some of it is incredibly sheek and gorgeous though, and many look quite attractive in conservative attire. However, the entire spectrum of clothing attire I saw. Russians wearing almost nothing, to whatever else. It seemed that they were fairly tolerant of whatever people felt comfortable with. Maybe they thought something different, but seemed indifferent or oblivious to whatever. At the airport, I also saw a large group of I assume Iranian female tourists, quickly taking off the headpiece as they entered onto UAE soil. I think they are forced by law to wear it there, so quickly take it off. Whereas locals aren't forced, and often go more sophisticated with their attire that is very attractive and interesting.

In short, Burj Khalifa was fantastic, but mostly just seeing this is a massive international hub of internationalism and cosmpolitanism right in the middle of an area in turmoil, with all the different people flocking to Dubai and UAE in this economic success area, is just interesting in itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or