U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-28-2012, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Reputation: 9478

Advertisements

Gulf Countries - UAE being #1...where would you rank KUWAIT, BAHRAIN, and QATAR?

#1 meaning just massive amounts of amenities, money coming in, buildings going up, liveliness, tourist magnet of the region, etc.

So how about the other 3, comparitively in that vein?

 
Old 12-30-2012, 02:31 PM
 
1,189 posts, read 1,808,378 times
Reputation: 972
UAE
Kuwait
Bahrain-Same as Qatar
Qatar-Not much tourism, Income is pretty much oil, no diversification, worst equality for citizens out of all the nation
 
Old 12-31-2012, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Saudi Arabia
376 posts, read 555,267 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Gulf Countries - UAE being #1...where would you rank KUWAIT, BAHRAIN, and QATAR?

#1 meaning just massive amounts of amenities, money coming in, buildings going up, liveliness, tourist magnet of the region, etc.

So how about the other 3, comparitively in that vein?
I'm currently working in Saudi and have worked in Kuwait and Dubai and just came back from Doha. Here is how I would rate them:

1. UAE - you can maintain a Westerm lifestyle pretty-much.
2. Bahrain - Just a smaller version of UAE I would say. Not a bad place to party if you're stuck in Saudi and near the causeway (I am).
3. Qatar - I give Qatar edge over Kuwait because you can drink legally in Qatar.
4. Kuwait - a nicer version of Saudi but still no booze, pork, or non-Muslim religion.
 
Old 01-01-2013, 04:16 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Reputation: 9478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tiger View Post
I'm currently working in Saudi and have worked in Kuwait and Dubai and just came back from Doha. Here is how I would rate them:

1. UAE - you can maintain a Westerm lifestyle pretty-much.
2. Bahrain - Just a smaller version of UAE I would say. Not a bad place to party if you're stuck in Saudi and near the causeway (I am).
3. Qatar - I give Qatar edge over Kuwait because you can drink legally in Qatar.
4. Kuwait - a nicer version of Saudi but still no booze, pork, or non-Muslim religion.
How's Bahrain since the uprisings? Has it settled down since than?

What are some negatives of DOHA in Qatar? I havent been there, but it seems that Doha appears to be growing quite a bit, a bit like Dubai....

It does seem like UAE is the one to be in though, if someone were determined to live/work in that region of the world.
 
Old 01-01-2013, 07:02 AM
 
Location: Saudi Arabia
376 posts, read 555,267 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
How's Bahrain since the uprisings? Has it settled down since than?

What are some negatives of DOHA in Qatar? I havent been there, but it seems that Doha appears to be growing quite a bit, a bit like Dubai....

It does seem like UAE is the one to be in though, if someone were determined to live/work in that region of the world.
I think Bahrain is fine so far. We get briefings on demonstrations and locations not to go to so just avoid those and it seems fine on the surface there there's still tons of Saudis and Westermers heading across the causeway to party on the weekends.

Doha/Qatar has a ton of money and I believe has the highest per capita income in the world with reserves to sustain them for quite some time. They are ramping up everywhere you look and plan to open their new airport next month (BTW, Qatar Airways is fabulous). In terms of restricting alcohol consumption, non-Islamic activities, etc. they seem to be somewhere in between U.A.E. relative liberalism and Saudi conservatism.

Yeah UAE is the best in the Middle East and that includes both Abu Dhabi & Dubai...I know guys that prefer Abu Dhabi to Dubai.
 
Old 01-01-2013, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Reputation: 9478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tiger View Post
I think Bahrain is fine so far. We get briefings on demonstrations and locations not to go to so just avoid those and it seems fine on the surface there there's still tons of Saudis and Westermers heading across the causeway to party on the weekends.

Doha/Qatar has a ton of money and I believe has the highest per capita income in the world with reserves to sustain them for quite some time. They are ramping up everywhere you look and plan to open their new airport next month (BTW, Qatar Airways is fabulous). In terms of restricting alcohol consumption, non-Islamic activities, etc. they seem to be somewhere in between U.A.E. relative liberalism and Saudi conservatism.

Yeah UAE is the best in the Middle East and that includes both Abu Dhabi & Dubai...I know guys that prefer Abu Dhabi to Dubai.
Another question on Doha/Qatar. I heard that they 'hold your passport' if you are legally working there. You need permission if you wanted to pop out of the country for a weekend in UAE or anything like that. Is that actually true, and applies to foreigners as well? Just curious.
 
Old 01-02-2013, 12:14 AM
 
Location: Saudi Arabia
376 posts, read 555,267 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Another question on Doha/Qatar. I heard that they 'hold your passport' if you are legally working there. You need permission if you wanted to pop out of the country for a weekend in UAE or anything like that. Is that actually true, and applies to foreigners as well? Just curious.
Yes your Employer or Sponsor holds your passport so you essentially have to get their permission to leave. Not a comfortable situation. You also won't be allowed to leave if you owe on a ticket or have some type of legal claim against you.

Requires a significant level of trust in your Employer to work here. One thing to remember is that Sharia Law is applicable and everything is enforced on that basis so a basic understanding of Sharia Law is advisable.

You can make a lot of money and live a good lifestyle but you have to understand your rights and the laws of your country mean nothing here.
 
Old 01-02-2013, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,943 posts, read 36,139,074 times
Reputation: 9478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tiger View Post
Yes your Employer or Sponsor holds your passport so you essentially have to get their permission to leave. Not a comfortable situation.
Is it only Qatar that does that?

I believe I heard that Saudia Arabia is very well-known for that as well, but if you are able to make regular trips over to Bahrain, maybe I'm wrong with that?

UAE is free from that, right? How about Bahrain or Oman? They hold the passport, or no?
 
Old 01-02-2013, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Saudi Arabia
376 posts, read 555,267 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is it only Qatar that does that?

I believe I heard that Saudia Arabia is very well-known for that as well, but if you are able to make regular trips over to Bahrain, maybe I'm wrong with that?

UAE is free from that, right? How about Bahrain or Oman? They hold the passport, or no?
I'n not sure about all the Gulf countries but Saudi does this. My Employer gives me my passport anytime I want to travel so I've never had a problem. Really most Western companies know how uncomfortable this makes their Western employees and they go out of their way to accomodate us. I would only worry if there was a bad personal incident of some kind or a major political upheaval.
 
Old 01-07-2013, 02:26 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,101 posts, read 23,627,108 times
Reputation: 11599
Which one of these countries seem the most similar to western European views on things like gender equality and a general live and let live sort of mentality for people's personal preferences? The Gulf Coast Countries are interesting in that they have such great wealth, but I'm curious as to what the political spectrum there is like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top