U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 03:16 AM

22 posts, read 26,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 北洋舰队 View Post
As a mainland chinese who grow up in Beijing, southeast asians are viewed as inferior creature; my grandfather who was a PLA general referred them as " little dark monkey"

and European viewed your culture the same way when they come. savages and little people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 05:15 AM

9 posts, read 11,294 times
South Korea and China currently have a much better relations than China-Taiwan or Korea-Japan and China-Japan. The presidents of both China and S Korea have met recently. Many people in Korea are learning Chinese and many Chinese are learning Korean language. The relationship between China and South Korea have North Korea and Japan as important factors.

I don't think Northern Chinese are well familiar with SE Asians, SE Asia has less influence on other countries than China, Japan and Korea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Like you know Taiwanese well.
The relations between Taiwan and Korea is nowhere near as bad as the ones between Korea and Japan or Korea and China or China and Japan.Some Taiwanese don't like Korea,but the level of resentment is nowhere near the one in Japan or China.You can ask any Taiwanese or Korean about how they feel about each other.I for one have nothing against the Koreans.

East Asians have nasty things to say about each other,yes I agree,but the one that started the whole racist comment was that 北洋艦隊(what kind of username is this?).He said the whole group of people in SE Asia were brown monkeys,so Tdiva felt disturbed and posted something bad about China to REMIND THE GUY what he said was totally uncalled for and tasteless.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:18 AM

Japanese also eat noodles with a lot of noise. Chinese eat noodles with less noise.
Japanese are also loud in some situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Speaking of gross, I try to be not so bias.
Chinese may find SEA people gross while eating their meal with their bare hands. I am into this and I enjoy eating my food with my bare hands. I believe, Chinese believes that hands are dirty and must not be used for picking up food.

But me personally, what I find gross about Chinese is their table manners in general. Sorry for the term, but it is comparable to "pig" because of that noise coming out when they eat with their mouth wide open and how they just spit the bones on the table. Not a racist here, infact I love mainland chinese people, they are one of the nicest among other chinese nationalities I've met. But I just can't stand the way they eat, it loses my appetite sorry

Old 07-04-2014, 05:21 AM

As the capital of the Great Mongol Empire, Great Ming and Great Qing. Beijing people have long been known to look down on people from other regions of Asia. I am not suprise with such comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene_allen View Post
You're all wrong. That is exactly what he meant. You need to read clearly. This is what he said:

"As a mainland chinese who grow up in Beijing, southeast asians are viewed as inferior creature;"

He said it in present tense. He specifically used the precise words "As a mainland chinese who grow up in Beijing" to introduce whose view it is, not just his grandfather's view. It is also his own choice to use the offensive words "inferior creature" , which he really didn't have to if he was a little educated.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:28 AM

In his grandparents era, Japanese, Koreans and Taiwanese(both had people in the Japanese Army) are the most hated in China. Whites were mildly hated(Western countries had privileges and many small concessions in China, but become allies of China after Pearl Harbor attack). SE Asians are generally not known to the Chinese in that era except the fact SEA was unfortunately colonised by the Westerners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The poster said his grandfather was racist, which may be true. He did not seem to support his grandfather's view.
Your reaction is weird actually.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:21 PM

318 posts, read 407,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeoldjk View Post
In his grandparents era, Japanese, Koreans and Taiwanese(both had people in the Japanese Army) are the most hated in China. Whites were mildly hated(Western countries had privileges and many small concessions in China, but become allies of China after Pearl Harbor attack). SE Asians are generally not known to the Chinese in that era except the fact SEA was unfortunately colonised by the Westerners.
I'm curious as to how to Chinese view the Vietnamese?

Old 07-05-2014, 02:27 AM

10 posts, read 14,911 times
This is a sensitive topic.
Vietnam has made headlines in newspapers and tv news all over China this year.
In ordinary days, most Chinese are not aware of Vietnam, because Vietnam is not an important country in the world and back in the Southeast Asia region. Vietnamese culture is mostly not well known in China, Vietnam is not South Korea which is very popular country in China. Singapore has a higher GDP and is more known to the Chinese than Vietnam despite it is very small in area.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:48 PM

4 posts, read 5,550 times
That comment about his grandfather viewing SE Asians as 'little dark monkeys' and him saying people where he is from view the SE Asian man as an 'inferior creature' is totally inapproriate and offensive. The OP did not ask for the Chinese view of SE Asia anyway.

Back to topic. I am a Vietnamese living in Norway so I may not speak for all Vietnamese, but I believe our gaze has historically been set towards China (more recently South Korea and to a lesser degree Japan) more than SE Asia. Vietnam was more influenced by Confucianism and Mahayana buddhism than the other SE Asian countries (except for Singapore) We know countries like Thailand and the Philippines are richer but dont consider their culture as superior, as we believe the current economic condition of our country is due to wars and Communist mismanagement.

I havent met that many SE Asians, but I particularly find the Philippinos very friendly

Old 07-05-2014, 09:57 PM

96 posts, read 179,968 times
I am a Filipino. As a human being, I want to believe that every race is equal. None is superior among the others. We must understand that we have something in common and something unique to offer to one another. ASEAN nations, I believe are good countries with good people. We are diverse, but we can move as one.

I don't want to judge a race. I can judge a person's individuality though depending on how he/she behaves, including the way he/she treats another.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:08 AM

318 posts, read 407,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihavemanyprcgfss View Post
This is a sensitive topic.
Vietnam has made headlines in newspapers and tv news all over China this year.
In ordinary days, most Chinese are not aware of Vietnam, because Vietnam is not an important country in the world and back in the Southeast Asia region. Vietnamese culture is mostly not well known in China, Vietnam is not South Korea which is very popular country in China. Singapore has a higher GDP and is more known to the Chinese than Vietnam despite it is very small in area.
I suppose most Vietnamese culture is basically Chinese anyway too so there's little of interest for Chinese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or